Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Life in Post-Collapse Argentina

Life in Post-Collapse Argentina

Just a couple of excerpts from a person who has lived through an economic colapse. Full text is worth reading and is posted at ;

http://members.cox.net/theprof/Urban...20Survival.htm

When it comes to security things get even more complicated. Forget about shooting those that mean you harm from 300 yards away with your MBR [main battle rifle]. Leave that notion to armchair commandos and 12 year old kids that pretend to be grown ups on the internet.

Some facts:

1) Those that want to harm you/steal from you don’t come with a pirate flag waving over their heads.

2) Neither do they start shooting at you 200 yards away.

3) They won’t come riding loud bikes or dressed with their orange, convict just escaped from prison jump suits, so that you can identify them the better. Nor do they all wear chains around their necks and leather jackets. If I had a dollar for each time a person that got robbed told me “They looked like NORMAL people, dressed better than we are”, honestly, I would have enough money for a nice gun. There are exceptions, but don’t expect them to dress like in the movies.

4) A man with a wife and two or three kids can’t set up a watch. I don’t care if you are SEAL, SWAT or John Freaking Rambo, no 6th sense is going to tell you that there is a guy pointing a gun at your back when you are trying to fix the water pump that just broke, or carrying a big heavy bag of dried beans you bought that morning.

After TSHTF in 2001, only the most narrow minded, brain washed, butterfly IQ level idiots believed that the police would protect them from the crime wave that followed the collapse of our economy. A lot of people that could have been considered antigun before, ran to the gun shops, seeking advice on how to defend themselves and their families. They would buy a 38 revolver, a box of ammo, and leave it in the closet, probably believing that it would magically protect them from intruders.

Oh, maybe you don’t think that firearms are really necessary or your beliefs do not allow you to buy a tool designed to kill people. So you probably ask yourself, is a gun really necessary when TSHTF? Will it truly make a difference? Having gone through a SHTF scenario myself, total economical collapse in the year 2001, and still dealing with the consequences, 5 years later, I feel I can answer that question. YES, you need a gun, pepper spray, a machete, a battle axe, club with a rusty nail sticking out of it, or whatever weapon you can get hold of.
    This is really a must read for those who intend to survive if it happens to the U.S. Although it is just one man's story he brings up many good pointers.

Goldy
    Of Politicos;
    If he doesn't want you to have the means of defending
    your life, do you want him in a position to control it?

Administrator   
    The author has a BLOG that he keeps pretty up to date.

http://www.ferfal.blogspot.com/
    EFI, LLC - 07 FFL / C2 SOT in Inwood, WV - Custom Firearms & Gunsmithing

Tank Vest - PALS Gear for Your Motorcycle Gas Tank

Late bump here.
    I've been thinking a LOT about what I read from this guy. I didn't read the whole thing, but did get through the lion's share.

The question I keep landing on is this.... didn't anybody in pre-collapse Argentina talk to his neighbors? Have block parties? Rely on them for incidental help, stuff more meaningful than a cup of sugar... like "hey, can you keep an eye on my kids for an hour"?

Maybe I'm a weird case, but I know the names of over 50% of the people in my neighborhood and the faces of 100% of them, I know all the families with kids as they all play in my yard, we know what churches we go to, who's doing community work, and while we don't know specifics, we know who has guns.

Yeah, having cheap gold rings and revlon lipstick around might make a difference, but the biggest difference I can see is this: if you don't know who lives next to you, it's going to be impossible to work out an armed neighborhood watch if crime ever gets that out of control.

But then again, I think there are far too many people in the US who are taking their personal protection seriously - at the very least in the home - for crime to get so out of control here that you attempt to run down people who are blocking your car.
    Don't blame me, I voted for Ron Paul!

Quote Originally Posted by Beatnik
    Maybe I'm a weird case, but I know the names of over 50% of the people in my neighborhood and the faces of 100% of them, I know all the families with kids as they all play in my yard, we know what churches we go to, who's doing community work, and while we don't know specifics, we know who has guns.
    Ever spent much time in a Spanish-speaking country?

They are family-oriented, not neighborhood oriented. Just about all houses, no matter how small, have the yards completely fenced in and a locked gate at the street. They rely on privacy for protection, not cooperation.

Beatnik,

When those friends and neighbors are the ones trying to steal from you, what is going to be your response?

Those that have a close knit group of folks that can support themselves, may be able to work it out, but there simply isn't enough to go around.

We are talking lifeboat theory here.

As to our guns, Obama will do everything he can to solve that problem for us.

Stand ready.

Go figure.

Fred
    Semper Fi *** Stupid should hurt
    “To lead untrained men in to war, is to waste them.” - Confucious
    “We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality” - Ayn Rand

That article is fascinating.
    What we really need to do is crack down on car dealers who sell cars to drunk drivers ...

Administrator   

They are family-oriented, not neighborhood oriented. Just about all houses, no matter how small, have the yards completely fenced in and a locked gate at the street. They rely on privacy for protection, not cooperation.
    Aguila Blanca, absolutely, there are mostly Hispanic families on my block. They encourage their children to not play with my son, refuse to speak to me or my wife, and restrict themselves to an occaisional wave of "I can't ignore you right now, so hi."
    The one other neighbor is an older lady next door, who works a town over, and we have each others phone number, and talk regularly. Another family is moving in soon into the empty house next door, hope they are more communicative.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

http://czforumsite.info/

this thread makes a good point. While I grew up in Maine where everyone knows everyone. I have for the past year been living in Vermont. I did live in a small town odly enough no one ever tried to get to know me there at all. So the only people I new were my land lords and a couple ladies who worked at the general store. later I moved to Winooski which is a melting pot type city. I didn't know anyone except my freinds and the next door neighbors otherwise my neighborhood was completely foreign to me and in a literal sense. I guess where I had been living me and my freinds sticking together, is what we would have to do. And of course we are all very well armed so I think we would be ok.

Odd though when you think about comunity and or lack there of.

Brother in Arms
    " Every citizen has a right to keep and bear arms and this right shall never be questioned."

Section16, Maine constitution

IBTL. Yes, unfortunately, the one white family in a brown neighborhood, or the one black family in a brown neighborhood will find themselves alienated. If I have learned one thing in my travels, people tend to seek scapegoats and the scapegoats are usually someone who stands out. If there is one thing I dismally learned from this last election is that people are still racist to the bone and if society collapses, so will political correctness. Then we will truly see that an Armed society is a polite society. Tsk tsk, and we thought it could never happen here. LMFAO (not really).

Administrator   
    ...the one white family in a brown neighborhood...
    That's me! I really don't care what anyone's skin color is, but the way a group will band together against me, because of MY skin color, is a little disheartening. My family and my neighbor feel quite surrounded sometimes.
    When I walk my son to the bus stop, they call thier children back, and don't let them come near. Is this what the American Dream has come to? Sueno del Americano?
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

http://czforumsite.info/

I used to work for the post office, my route was in a little NM town, the only other caucassion was a woman married to a man from a traditional NM family. She says it took the town something like 15 years to warm to her and that at least half the town still ignores her. she says if it weren't for her Hispanic husband, there's no way she could ever live there.
    I know of plenty of towns here in NM that still practice wholesale racism even to the point of if one is of Mexican decent or Spanish Heritage.
    Demographics should play a pivotal point in choosing where to live, especially in TEOTWAWKI. (Heavy Sigh!)

“They looked like NORMAL people, dressed better than we are” sums up the local shoplifters and grifters I've dealt with in retail over the last 30 years.

They AREN'T grubby lowlifes slouching in to pick your shelves clean. Customers dressed in dirty work clothes are just that - working, and working hard at something the real slouchers won't do. They have always been the good customers, their credit and cash is almost always good, especially the minorities.

It's the ones with pretensions of the high life who cause trouble. They always come on as if they were your boss, inform you of your subservience, and generally try to bully. They generally live on the edges of a good neighborhood, announce that they live IN it, drive the later model used cars, and pretend to dress well.

The last scammer I dealt with was wearing a Boeing embroidered polo shirt. I know for a fact he bought it from the local DAV because I saw it there and passed it up. Dead giveaway, plus, there is no Boeing activity in this little burg. He was thinking the same as the rest - we're a bunch of dumb hicks.

Think about it - the thieves are already out there working it. They don't show up in black and white striped t-shirts and masks. They look like service workers, utility repairmen, carpenters, or desk jockeys, pretty much always cleaned up and slicked back. They are trying to deceive, not alarm.

When they get really good at it, they land a job on Wall Street.

FerFal is a member here

I don't know to which Spanish speaking country you guys have been or which nationality your neighbors are but I am from a Spanish speaking country and everyone was very friendly, we have everybody's phone number and always look out for each other..
    and right now living in Texas I know my neighbors that happen to be a mix, I have Hispanics, whites and blacks and we all talk and get along very well, kids walk together to the school bus.

Don't judge some just because of the behavior of others... who knows why those people act like that..
    "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."
    The Dalai Lama

"As I approach the gates of heaven;
    to St. Peter I will tell;
    One more soldier reporting sir;
    I've served my time in hell".
    -Mark Anthony Gresswell

While I find his information very interesting and quite possibly helpful. I take issue with a couple of points (and mainly on a cultural basis). He mentions several times on both sites about not being able or desiring to walk about with a rifle, etc and the need to conceal because of the heightened awareness of cops, etc. You have to remember that he is speaking about the situation in Argentina which like most of Central\South America, Europe and, hell, most of the rest of the world, the fear of guns is prevalent during ordinary times.

In a lot of places in the US, during a crisis, the sight of a decently-dressed person porting a rifle will hardly raise an eyebrow. I speak from experience on this one.

Recently, I went with a group of people from our company to take relief supplies to Houston about two days after Hurricane Ike. We arrived late at night and decided to stay with a relative of mine due to the lack of hotel rooms available. Since there was no parking on the street in front of the house, we pulled the trucks and trailers into a grocery store parking lot behind the house. The area being southwest Houston and reports of random trouble about (and a curfew was in place), we decided to post a guard throughout the night. I took the bulk of the shifts and walked it from 12am-4am. I carried a 1911 concealed but also my Rock River M4 across my chest. Police officers, sheriffs, etc. drove by at least every 20 minutes. Most didn't stop. Some slowed, looked and waved. A couple stopped by to check it out, said hello and went on their way. Not a single one so much as made mention or questioned the rifle. I think it was understood that there was property to be protected and that was the end of the story.

Maybe it's just Texas but it seems that common sense does exist out there.
    I'm lost, I'm angry and I'm armed.

Anyone who wants to learn about SHTF scenarios including ones where Whitey gets blamed for everything...read about RHODESIA, formerly a stable nation with the best economy in Africa...now a hellish pit of despair...

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄ ПOНК РОК ▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

I dunno, it's still different for me.
    If something does go down, knowing all the stuff you guys have thrown out here, I'm going directly to the one black family in the neighborhood - who we talk to regularly - and having a rational discourse with them about what we need to do as a neighborhood.

Here's another good read I got through today:
    http://www.energybulletin.net/node/47157

Nothing much about guns, he's just going over the different stages of collapse.

One thing he does note is that religion will act as a buffer as well, so that's three things we've got going for us in the US: high percentage of gun ownership, neighborhood mentality (thank you, Fred Rodgers!), and churches which aren't government controlled, and therefore relatively self-sufficient by nature.

Another thing I've been thinking is this: if everything does collapse and we have light government oversight of every aspect of our lives, that means it'll be a lot easier to go into business for yourself, doesn't it?
    Don't blame me, I voted for Ron Paul!

the government IS the enemy. they steal your life away in hours, shoot you or lock you up for harmlessly breaking some regulation.

any questions?

"I have Hispanics, whites and blacks and we all talk and get along very well, kids walk together to the school bus."

My neighbors are hispanic New Mexicans and are the bestest, nicest, kindest people one could want as neighbors, they are also practical and survival minded.
    I do know of towns and areas in NM that are *unfortunately* less friendly, in fact downright suspicious of anyone other than their own. Maybe this doesn't make them racists, but you're not going to be able to count on them in a SHTF situation.

Beatnik wrote:
    I've been thinking a LOT about what I read from this guy. I didn't read the whole thing, but did get through the lion's share.

The question I keep landing on is this.... didn't anybody in pre-collapse Argentina talk to his neighbors? Have block parties? Rely on them for incidental help, stuff more meaningful than a cup of sugar... like "hey, can you keep an eye on my kids for an hour"?

Not that much parties, but yes, people used to hang in the sidewalk, drinking mate, kids playing on the street, playing futbol.
    But it wasn’t a prep thing, more of a neighborly friendly general attitude.

As things got worse and crime started to dig in, people becasme more cautious and those with good common sense rarely stay cahting or drinking beverages and talking to the neighbors on the streets.

Old folk are a bit more used to these things and more resilient to change, and unfortunately many end up paying a high price for that.

As someone mentioned, in some of the worst neighborhoods, your neighbor is often the one that steals form you. I know a few cases.

But in some places people have gone from staying self involved and secluded due to security reasons, to start talking again to organize, if at least a little bit.

Cases of armed neighbor watches are rare. I saw on the news about some places were they did it but it didn’t last long and didn’t spread. People have to work, earn a living, spend time with the family and sleep. I’ve read “lights out” by Halffast and liked the book, but unfortunately you’ll have a hard time finding a person that committed, let alone an entire neighborhood.

The guy that lies next to my place for example, I had problems with him form day one. Turning the other cheek and all that, I still did my best to form a good relation with him, and for some time he seemed sincere.
    People, no armed patrols or any such fantasy, just common good neighborly attitude “I watch your place, you watch mine, call is anything weird goes on”. That kind of thing.
    When my other neighbor’s house got broken into, and the woman desperately rang the bells and called to the doors of the people near by, I went out to help but this guy? No, he didn’t even answer the door to this desperate, crying woman he knew relatively well.
    Money talks and BS walks and such.
    When there’s real danger and your neighbor actually has to come out and maybe face danger to help you, you’d be wise to not expect much, in spite of years of macho talk you may have had with him. Expect people to let you down like this, but still try and do your best, sometimes you are lucky.

Last weekend I was sweeping the sidewalk ( I do it, concealed weapon) and I noticed that for some time now, this lady that lives next to me ( the one that had her house broken into) goes out and sweeps herself, or cares a bit for her front garden when I’m out.
    As my wife pointed out, she does that for security. And it turns out many neighbors do organize in such a way.
    Say from 4PM to 7 PM each Sunday, they all mow the lawn, sweep or do gardening or wash the car at the same time, so as to know if one gets mugged and help or call the cops.

Yeah, having cheap gold rings and revlon lipstick around might make a difference, but the biggest difference I can see is this: if you don't know who lives next to you, it's going to be impossible to work out an armed neighborhood watch if crime ever gets that out of control.
    Please, the lipstick and other trinket suggestion is just that, advice that may come in handy to get a few favors but no rule of thumb
    By the way, when bad guys invade a home, two words have become standard operation procedure:
    “Money an Jewelry”
    Where is it and give them up.

Aguila Blanca wrote:

There a reason for that.
    We know fully well that a fence or wall and bars on winodws, are much more reliable than 90% of the neighbors you may have. We’ve all learned this the hard way, many years ago even before the crisis.

You can think differently when crime is not a serious problem. Once it is you’ll find yourself reinforcing your home, rather than trusting your security to the guy next door.

Aguila Blanca, absolutely, there are mostly Hispanic families on my block. They encourage their children to not play with my son, refuse to speak to me or my wife, and restrict themselves to an occaisional wave of "I can't ignore you right now, so hi.
    I do my best to keep a good relation with everyone. Even across the net with people I’ve never met FTF. I just don’t like to have problems with people, specially with my neighbor.
    No matter religion or skin color, I try to get along as well as I can with everyone, and yes, even organize defenses if I see people willing, but even if friendly adn willing to help, I’ve learned not to trust my security to anyone but myself. No one cares as much as you do about the skin in your back, and your family.

GhostRider66 wrote:

While I find his information very interesting and quite possibly helpful. I take issue with a couple of points (and mainly on a cultural basis). He mentions several times on both sites about not being able or desiring to walk about with a rifle, etc and the need to conceal because of the heightened awareness of cops, etc. You have to remember that he is speaking about the situation in Argentina which like most of Central\South America, Europe and, hell, most of the rest of the world, the fear of guns is prevalent during ordinary times.

In a lot of places in the US, during a crisis, the sight of a decently-dressed person porting a rifle will hardly raise an eyebrow. I speak from experience on this one.

Recently, I went with a group of people from our company to take relief supplies to Houston about two days after Hurricane Ike. We arrived late at night and decided to stay with a relative of mine due to the lack of hotel rooms available.
    You are thinking about a favorable experience you had, and forgetting about the bad ones other Americans had during Katrina.
    2A rules and USA is a better country thanks to it, but what happened when the chips were down?
    Right, they urinated all over 2A and disarmed citizens at gunpoint, even went home to home.
    They'll go;
    “You can argue about it all you want buddy, but right now either hand over the gun or shoot it out with the nice soldiers here and the ones inside the APC. “
    People didn’t have much of a chance, either give the guns up, or start shooting ( same as commiting suicide)
    And that's that. Now you are unarmed.

Maybe a guy that looked normal enough and had a Glock hidden in his pack, and could manage to answer “no” with a straight face “when asked “sir, are you armed?”, maybe that guy managed to keep his gun. The guy open carrying his rifle sure did not have a chance at all.

Not only that, but also for a matter of convenience. You don’t carry a rifle with you all day and most likely, you wont have it with you when SHTF and 3 guys ambush you at 7 AM when taking the kids to school.
    That doesn’t mean you can’t have your rifle ready at home, an extra one in the car, and with a bit of luck get to it when needed, but worst case situation, all you’ll have with you is your handgun (IF you are consistent enough and pack every day)
    That’s why you should make the most out of your handgun if you are preparing for these worst case scenarios. Reliable, big bore, high capacity.

FerFAL

Thanks for the update FerFAL. Sounds like things are getting better in Argentina now days. It sound more and more like we are heading the same way.
    Srigs
    www.sideguardholsters.com and www.sideguardholsters.com/blog
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

FerFal, I read about your experiences quite a while ago. Very, very interesting reading and I appreciate that you took the time to write it. Highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it.

You're right about Lights Out too - the primary reason to read it is for entertainment. It could use a bit of editing to work out some misspellings and inconsistencies, but other than that it's a good story.
    In an emergency, people don't rise to the occasion, but are reduced to their level of training.
    -Barrett Tillman

Hi psyopspec and Srigs, thanks.

Don’t get me wrong, I think “Lights out” is one of the most down to Earth novels, at least it kind of tries to show how problems between neighbors may, arise, unlike other novels were everyone in the team is like a robot that obeys the leader’s order all the time.
    As I was saying, you are lucky if you have a couple friends you can trust enough, and I’d forget about having even those under my command for any sustainable period of time. People have lives, needs, personal ambitions, their own families, their own wives that have yet another set of opinions they have to take into account, its terribly complicated.
    You may get their cooperation for a while but that’s it.
    In a perfect fantasy world everything works like a charm, but no one wants to be a peon when they are used to being their own boss.

FerFAL

Truly excellent work, FerFAL -- much thanks, and best of luck to you and yours with everything!

As for the fiscal situation in the US, as has been mentioned earlier, the government incorporates, and acts for the benefit of, the very same parasitic elites that have always bled the middle class, and who now have turned the spigots to maximum, sensing that the death of the host is approaching.

Our Treasury Secretary Paulson (a lifer at Goldman Sachs and its recent CEO) and former Secretary Rubin (a Citigroup man), are great examples of the fox guarding the henhouse. Is it any surprise that the companies that perfected the oil futures swindle -- Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley, and the full-service mortgage meltdown specialists -- Citi, are now being bailed out with breathtaking sums that have, essentially, been confiscated from us?

They harvested huge commodities profits and enriched their Middle East clients tremendously at the expense of ordinary consumers, and they have crashed our real estate values and 401k's. Now we are once again on the hook so these "too important to fail" thugs can walk away with their golden parachutes intact.

Here's a fresh but largely toothless article mentioning Citi:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/26/op...dman.html?_r=1

And here's a quote popular on the net, quite relevant to our times:

"If the American people ever allow the banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property, until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered ... I sincerely believe that the banking institutions having the issuing power of money are more dangerous to liberty than standing armies." --Thomas Jefferson
    We are in this very bind with the Federal Reserve / Banking Cabal at large. They can tax us implicitly at an arbitrary rate simply by diluting the paper money behind closed doors. How's that for taxation without representation?

Here's the current setup as I see it:

The dollar is briefly "strengthening" against some other currencies as our economy quickly shrinks and demand falls faster than the supply side can adjust. Fewer dollars chase overproduced goods / commodities, and prices fall.

In the meantime, Paulson and Bernanke are inflating (diluting) the USD with their astronomic "liquidity injections" (thus far almost exclusively to their banker friends who hoard it rather than lend) that spring into being out of thin air.

At this stage in the game, deflation and inflation can cancel out. But jobs are lost in the meantime, mortgage and personal defaults continue, real estate values continue to drop. More bailouts are announced and more fiat currency is created. Production of goods / commodities overcorrects in slowing to match lower demand. Prices rise. Obama institutes the New New Deal (tm) and more money is created and distributed to the welfare classes to keep them from rioting, while the worth of the middle class dwindles.

After a while, supply and demand reflecting our newly impoverished condition stabilize and the economy stops shrinking. There is vast unemployment and property values are in the toilet. With the USD having been diluted so rapidly, China will demand extraordinary concessions to continue lending crack to the deficit-spending crackhead, and they will undoubtedly get whatever they want. These include high interest rates, which keep our economy stagnant. People desperate for work keep wages depressed, and our standard of living plummets.

Continued deficit spending makes for increasingly more expensive borrowing, and that spirals exponentially out of control to effectively end the "American Dream". The middle class is inflated out of existence, and our socioeconomic structure comprises 1% plutocrats and 99% peons lining up for government jobs, food stamps, and blocks of that bright orange government cheese. There is no free lunch, and the price of decades of deficit spending is that We The People are now f*cked while the plutocrats retire to the comforts of their secured enclaves. Socialist "utopia" ensues.

That is the pessimistic scenario, but however it may come, it is unavoidable if deficit spending continues. The budget will look rather more balanced if they say, "We were kidding about that whole 'getting money of out Social Security' thing". So I think high taxes (whether via the IRS and/or inflation) and reduced entitlements will be put into practice.

Reading about the three-year schedule for US pullout from Iraq which looks like a done deal, I couldn't help but think that that may end up the big prize offered to China. In that time frame, we should be entering the hyperinflation and stagnation part of our economic trajectory, and stepping back from Iraq so China can get a special oil concession might encourage them to keep lending at a modest rate.

Another thing they're talking about is more direct Chinese investment in (i.e. ownership of) US firms and other US assets. In the best crackhead tradition, we will sell the contents of our house just to keep up the deficit-spending habit.

Turning to the gun angle.. clearly the devastation of the taxpayer is easier/safer accomplished when he is disarmed. From the red-banner-flying Obama camp I'm expecting AWB II and subsequent incremental bans. What worries me is that they will do it sufficiently slowly to avoid riling the people into responding with bullets, and that ultimately they will succeed in taking most of the guns, as in Australia, except from the bolder/clearer thinkers who will cache and evade as necessary.

If I were Hussein Obama, I would let some more panic build up and then promise a sweeping New New Deal (tm) with direct foreclosure assistance to the homeowner and extended unemployment benefits, and force AWB II through as an implicit "rider". The rotten GOP stooges will pass anything at this point. I hope folks buy now before it's too late, and stand ready to refresh the tree of liberty should the critical point arise.

Anyone who wants to learn about SHTF scenarios including ones where Whitey gets blamed for everything...read about RHODESIA, formerly a stable nation with the best economy in Africa...now a hellish pit of despair...
    A bit of an oversimplification there, Golden Hound.

Zimbabwe's troubles didn't start when Mugabe confiscated the large, white-owned farms and gave them to his cronies. The world should have been paying attention when he started forging closer ties to South Korea, trained a special counter-insurgency squad and killed about 20,000 members of the Ndebele minority group. It doesn't do the dead justice to prang him just for idiotic agriculture policy, that's like Communist Strongman 101 stuff.

And in case you're wondering, yes, there is a picture of Jimmy Carter shaking hands with this creature.

The Zimbabwe example is instructive as well; about a third of the country just ran for it. There was no heroic uprising, and if there was even any small scale local resistance it doesn't appear to be doing much. The main current of anti-Mugabe political sentiment is avowedly non-violent, and they still get regularly beaten, tortured and even killed by the police.

So sometimes running away may be the best choice.
    Sow seed-but let no tyrant reap;
    Find wealth-let no impostor heap;
    Weave robes-let not the idle wear;
    Forge arms-in your defense to bear.

-Percy Bysshe Shelley, Song to the Men of England, 1819