* E-mail this article
    o Del.icio.us
    o Facebook
    o Digg
    o Reddit
    o Newsvine
    o Buzz up!
    * What’s this?

An unemployed man who officers say was armed with a high-powered rifle at an apartment complex Wednesday morning is lucky to be in jail instead of the morgue, according to Murfreesboro Police spokesman Kyle Evans.

Police arrested Jerry Gardner, 35, at Chelsea Place Apartments, located at 805 Bradyville Pike, just after 6:40 a.m. and charged him with unlawful possession of a prohibited weapon, and aggravated domestic assault.
    Advertisement

Dispatchers had received a call that there was a man with a rifle kicking down the door of his girlfriend’s apartment, according to Evans. When officers arrived less than two minutes later, they found Gardner holding a Bushmaster AR-15 rifle outside of a bathroom where his girlfriend was hiding.

“The subject was making verbal threats to shoot her and was attempting to make forced entry,” according to Officer Michael Levy.

Officer Tommy Massey and Sgt. Tim Higgins then made entry to the residence, Levy said. The officers repeatedly ordered Gardner to drop the rifle.

“The subject exited from the bedroom and partially into the hallway, exposing the weapon,” Levy said. “He was repeatedly asked to drop the weapon and after several seconds complied with the commands.”

It was later found that the rifle was equipped with laser sights and had a live round in the chamber, according to Evans. Gardner, who was charged with a DUI earlier this month, also had a stun gun (which resulted in the weapons charge), night vision goggles, a bow and arrow gun, extra ammunition and multiple knives at the home.

“Officers were put in a very tough situation in which deadly force was an option and we are thankful that we were able to bring the situation to a safe conclusion,” Evans said.

Following Gardner’s arrest, police spoke with victim Shelby Edwards, 35. She told authorities that she and Gardner had been involved in a verbal altercation, adding that Gardner had gotten extremely intoxicated Tuesday night. She left the apartment, and when she returned at 6:30 a.m., Gardner confronted her with a weapon.

“He made several threats to kill her and at that point she contacted police,” Levy reported. “The victim refused to be transported to a safe shelter following the incident.”

Officers took all of Gardner’s weapons for safe keeping. He was transferred to the Rutherford County jail following his arrest, where he agreed to speak with officers.

After being Mirandized, Gardner admitted to “consuming a large quantity of alcohol in conjunction with various prescription medications,” Levy said. “He admitted to arguing with the victim (and) arming himself with the AR-15. He denied making any verbal threats to physically harm or kill the victim.”

Gardner’s record shows he was also charged with aggravated riot Wednesday, but Evans said the charge did not originate out of the Chelsea Place incident. Detective Sgt. Dan Goodwin could not be reached for comment about the charge. His bond is set at $13,500, and he’s scheduled to appear in General Sessions Nov. 25.
    Gots to get me one of them fancy new bow and arrow guns.

It can't get much worse except if it said a bow and arrow blow gun. haha
    NRA life member, Support Our Troops,
    Pointman Ministries Member
    MMCDC Member

And he had - gasp! - extra ammunition!

What kind of ANIMAL...?!?!
    ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄ ПOНК РОК ▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

An unemployed man who officers say was armed with a high-powered rifle at an apartment complex Wednesday morning is lucky to be in jail instead of the morgue, according to Murfreesboro Police spokesman Kyle Evans.

Police arrested Jerry Gardner, 35, at Chelsea Place Apartments, located at 805 Bradyville Pike, just after 6:40 a.m. and charged him with unlawful possession of a prohibited weapon, and aggravated domestic assault.

Dispatchers had received a call that there was a man with a rifle kicking down the door of his girlfriend’s apartment, according to Evans. When officers arrived less than two minutes later, they found Gardner holding a Bushmaster AR-15 rifle outside of a bathroom where his girlfriend was hiding.
    It appears that Murfreesboro Police spokesman Kyle Evans is to blame for calling an AR15 a "high powered" rifle.

Gardner, who was charged with a DUI earlier this month, also had a stun gun (which resulted in the weapons charge), night vision goggles, a bow and arrow gun, extra ammunition and multiple knives at the home.
    Yes, you would think that even a reporter in Murfreesboro would know what a crossbow is. But was possession of the "stun gun" and not the AR15 that really resulted in the weapons charge?
    Send lawyers, guns, and money . . .

Not only that, but they're inherently silenced!

With no tax stamp! Oh, the horror!

(Well, they do make a kind of sproink sound.)

Blue River Wisconsin, in a little hut in the woods
    He is a drunk, a drug abuser, has a record of violent behavior and he is out on bail. Anybody see a problem here?
    1934 – National Firearms Act, 1968 – The Gun Control Act, 1986 – Firearms Owners Protection Act, 1993 – Brady Handguns Violence Act, 1994 – Assault Weapons Ban, 1995 – Gun Free School Zones Act, NO MORE COMPROMISING

Anybody see a problem here?
    Yeah, the Ex didn't shoot him.
    Eloi-- Tastes Like Chicken

Folks, before you laugh at the bow and arrow gun comment, look at the link:

http://www.swivelmachine.com/html/rimfire.htm

It is no joke, I assure you, and it is not a toy--but a deadly efficient hunting tool.

The older model used compressed gas, and was silent.

Still want to chuckle?
    Hiding in plain sight....

Agreed, to both the last two posts.
    "[The 2nd Amendment's] free exercise is the antithesis of serfdom and the only meaningful form of holocaust insurance known to man." -- Gus Cotey, Jr.
    NRA, SAF, and JPFO Life Member. USCCA annual member.
    Public Relations Coordinator, Connecticut Citizens Defense League, Inc.

Folks, before you laugh at the bow and arrow gun comment, look at the link:

http://www.swivelmachine.com/html/rimfire.htm

It is no joke, I assure you, and it is not a toy--but a deadly efficient hunting tool.

The older model used compressed gas, and was silent.
    Well, sure, that's an *arrow* gun.

I want to see a *bow and arrow* gun!

timothy

As Timothy said, no bow. I wonder do the arrows that shoots have fletching? If not, isn't it a bolt rather than an arrow and have a shorter accurate range? Just asking.
    Send lawyers, guns, and money . . .

As Timothy said, no bow. I wonder do the arrows that shoots have fletching? If not, isn't it a bolt rather than an arrow and have a shorter accurate range? Just asking.
    No, if you read the text it's even weirder than you'd think - and fletching still works.

There's actually two barrels, one free-floating inside the other.

The inner "barrel" fits *inside* the arrow shaft, is hollow and delivers the powder charge to the inside of the arrow's shaft. The outer barrel appears to be more cosmetic than anything else, and is seriously oversize so that the fletching can easily fit between the arrow's shaft and the outer barrel's inside diameter.

If I'm reading this right, the outer barrel is actually unnecessary except to protect the relatively delicate inner barrel.
    Jim March
    TFL Alumnus
    Equal Rights for CCW Home Page
    http://www.equalccw.com
    Airplane Pictures

I didn't know an AR was high-powered. Any black gun is high-powered I guess.

They must mean a crossbow.As for the 10/22 arrow gun,I would think it would be useless for anything but poaching or target shooting.But it is cool.

I guess you could have a gun for it, but why anybody would want to shoot at a bow and arrow is beyond me.

Well, you could read it that way

So let's see, we take a silent, quiet weapon with limited range (bow) and combine it with a more accurate and powerful but louder weapon (gun) and get a loud weapon with limited range? What am I missing here?

I didn't know an AR was high-powered. Any black gun is high-powered I guess.
    It's just a stock-phrase that many people have come to believe through repetition and association, a lazy-writing add-on. Read stories about google; watch how often the writers (wishing to avoid being boring) will call it "the Internet search giant" instead. Cliches are tempting.

And with no units or comparison, who's to say that an AR-15 is *not* "high-powered"? You don't expect the reporter to swing by Camp Perry and check on just what constitutes "high-powered" to shooting enthusiasts, do you? I'm sure if I was hit by one (or nearly hit), I'd consider to have considerable power. Specialized nomenclature isn't easy to transplant from one domain to another, even when that results in annoying incongruence for those to whom the phrasing used has a specific meaning.

timothy

Give the paper some credit........at least they didn't call the AR an assault rifle! That's a small victory, in of itself.
    Freedom ain't free...........

I hit the link for the "arrow gun" and said to myself, "that's cool". Then my buddy asked what I was looking at, and the idea of a 10/22 shooting arrows sounded really stupid when I said it out loud.

Dang it Powderman, now I want one of those.
    "In survival, you seize the high ground and set up a machine gun nest." Hardware on THR.us 1/7/10

I hit the link for the "arrow gun" and said to myself, "that's cool". Then my buddy asked what I was looking at, and the idea of a 10/22 shooting arrows sounded really stupid when I said it out loud.
    It would be fun to include in a screenplay, just so some gun-nerds would claim that such a thing didn't exist. Then I would make them feel stupid!

Motivations, motivations ...

timothy

So, anyone know if it was an arrow gun as described above (modified Ruger), or simply a hand crossbow?

I was assuming the "arrow gun" was a hand crossbow. I've seen one with an 80# steel bow which was pretty impressive. And meaner looking than an EBR. Seems to me if it was a shoulder-mounted crossbow, the writer would have simply said "crossbow" instead of "arrow gun."

That actual "arrow gun" from Airrow looks really interesting --thanks for the link!

They refer to two styles of blanks... I wonder if those are the same as RamSet blanks?

Several years ago, in a suburb of Cleveland Ohio, a police officer was shot by a man with a mini14, The news reported it as a "High powered rifle" and one reporter went as far as to claim that "It is capable of shooting through a telephone pole"

After hearing that, The only thing I could think of was "Man, the one I shot once was seriously lacking, No wonder I really didn't like it much"

News media, go figure huh!
    "Why is it, when your kid has an imaginary friend people think they are cute, but if they have an imaginary enemy, they are paraniod?"

I've got a crossbow. Hmmm.....I never realized how it would be demonized even over the smokeless powder weapons I have. Guess I'd better dig it out and put it in the safe before it hurts somebody.
    "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.".......John F. Kennedy

^ Yeah, and I hope you don't have any "extra ammuniton."