Thread: .22 ammo for SHTF Scenarios

Orlando - Y'all keep coming down on vacation and paying my taxes!

.22 ammo for SHTF Scenarios

I just picked up a couple of bricks of .22 ammo today. As I was driving home, I started thinking about having my .22 Marlin (tube fed) with me for a SHTF scenario for the purpose of small game/food.

If I were to keep them loose in their boxes, they wouldn't travel well.

So If you have an SHTF bag, and use a .22, how do you store your ammo for ease of access / portability?
    PRC (AW) USN (Ret) 1973 - 1995
    "I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic"; The oath I took doesn't have an expiration date.

I have a belt that I'd grab that I keep 50 rounds in, and for the 10/22 I have 7 loaded magazines. If I throw everything in a bag, those go in. If I run in and grab my gun, those go in my pocket.

Military ammo can. Even a small .30 cal can can get heavy when it is full. To maximize the number of boxes I can get in the can I take them out of the brick and pack them individually. IIRC you can get 1400 rounds in a can.
    Sincerely,

Hobie
    Shooting with Hobie

Spee-D-Loader for the tube-fed Marlin:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/GNS120-1.html
    "There is no retreat, but in submission and slavery. Our chains are forged. Their clanking may be heard on the plains of Boston! The war is inevitable--and let it come! I repeat it, sir, let it come!" - Patrick Henry, 1775

I keep a couple of pill bottles full of .22 tucked in a pocket of my BOB. Each one holds about 50 rounds, is air and watertight, and compact. Simple.

I got the Spee D Loader for my Marlin as well. Holds a lot of rounds in a fairly compact and easy to use holder. I also re-use 100 round CCI plastic boxes for my revolver supply.
    When we believe absurdities, we will commit atrocities. Voltaire

I concur on the CCI plastic boxes. I have a big stash of them and transfer all my new ammo to them on a fresh brick. For those who don't know, the CCI boxes have a sliding top that allows you to dispense rounds in rows of five. You slide the top back and dump rows into your hand that correlate to magazine capacity. They make magazine loading quick and keep your ammo better organized than any other boxes I've seen.
    Liberty will not descend to a people. The people must raise themselves to Liberty.
    -Emma Goldman

That the people have a right to bear arms for the defence of themselves and the State - and as standing armies in time of peace are dangerous to liberty, they ought not to be kept up; and that the military should be kept under strict subordination to and governed by the civil power.
    -Article 16th, The Vermont Constitution

Fella's;

I just use a bigger pill bottle than Zercool does.

900F
    Birth Certificate? What birth certificate? He don't need no steenkink birth certificate!

I took a BIG Ibuprofen bottle of .22lr to the range. One of the range officers came up and thought it was funny. He said, "When you pulled it out I thought 'Now there's a guy that loves shooting. He even comes when he has a headache'."

Yeah like others have said, I use those orange prescription pill bottles for some rounds, like the big wide ones... Great for anything you need to carry around.
    "Guns are swell" - me

Remember the 100 round plastic "boxes" that CCI mini-mags come it? Most people at the range throw those out. Why?

Deep in the Heart of the Lone Star State (TX)
    I used to love Mint Skittles...not only for the taste but because the plastic, pop-top containers could hold 50+ rounds of .22lr and fit perfectly in a 9mm double magazine pouch/butt cuff mounted on my Romanian .22lr rifle. One container holds plinking ammo & the other holds Super Colibris....lots of fun for one day.

Too bad they discontinued Mint Skittles....I'm still looking for another candy box just as good.....
    !RKBA!
    !ATMD!
    !Keep Praying for The Troops!

Heller is our beachhead....our Normandy.....now it's time to take the fight to the enemies of freedom.....

I bought one of those film tote bags at the camera section at Wally's. has a loop in the back to slide on your belt, sort of like civil war era ammo bags.

For bulk storage, wouldn't a Nalgene bottle be a good way to stash and carry several hundred rounds? Many packs are already designed with webbing to use the bottles. I think Nalgene even markets "survival" based bottles stuffed with heat packs, parts for cars, first aid kits, etc.

Of course it would be loud as all get out...

http://spee-d-loader.net/individuals

120 round of .22 speed loading goodness with a carrying pouch for 30 bucks. Carry one or three of these in an ammo can and your set for .22 ammo.

My only complaint is that my Marlin 60 holds 20 rounds not 15. Id like to see a 160 round version.
    At Thermopylae, 1,000,000 Persians lost 20,000 yet failed to disarm 300 Spartans. 80,000,000 lawfully armed Americans will resist even harder.

That we promise. Molōn labe!