Thread: Now here's what I want for a slide coating ...

Now here's what I want for a slide coating ...

New Scientist (not a great site, but often interesting) has the story of the accidental discovery of a material that is both super-hard and far slipperier than teflon, the old standby.

They say "BAM is also potentially attractive as a hard coating for drill bits and other cutting tools," but I'm thinking more of the slide and rails of a next-generation Cz

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...-accident.html

timothy

"Its hardness was discovered by accident. We had a terrible time cutting it, grinding it, or polishing it,"
    Sounds promising, if you want your next CZ to cost $3000.
    Eloi-- Tastes Like Chicken

I find it interesting that fan blades were the only idea these guys came up with. That kind of tells me that there are other not-so-beneficial properties we're not hearing about.

You'd need to know more than "hard and slippery" before wanting to use it in a particular application. For instance, hard does not equal tough - in fact, hard materials are frequently also brittle. Nor does hardness mean that it is not ductile or malleable. To say nothing of heat resistance....

If the heat resistance is there, I'd think priority #1 would be putting it on pots and pans. There are too many people like me who are sick and tired of not being able to use a thin metal spatula on his frying pans. And I'll have to go through an awful lot of slide oil to get as mad about my rails as I am about my frying pans.
    Don't blame me, I voted for Ron Paul!

If the heat resistance is there, I'd think priority #1 would be putting it on pots and pans. There are too many people like me who are sick and tired of not being able to use a thin metal spatula on his frying pans. And I'll have to go through an awful lot of slide oil to get as mad about my rails as I am about my frying pans.
    It'll cause cancer! (A lot of people think that of the various Teflon-and-branded-derivative coatings; I have no strong opinion, but have seen a lot of abused non-stick pans and do wonder whether I've injested much of the stuff. I prefer copper- or aluminum-clad steel myself in a frying pans, and seasoned cast iron for Swedish pancakes )

And Yes, before Cz gets it into a nice dunkable-bucket form, I realize there are aspects of materials science left unaddressed by that article. Still, if high-speed drill bits are a reasonable application, I think gun slides could be on the same list, wrt durability and heat resistance.

C'mon, optimism!

timothy

It'll cause cancer! (A lot of people think that of the various Teflon-and-branded-derivative coatings; I have no strong opinion, but have seen a lot of abused non-stick pans and do wonder whether I've injested much of the stuff. I prefer copper- or aluminum-clad steel myself in a frying pans, and seasoned cast iron for Swedish pancakes )

And Yes, before Cz gets it into a nice dunkable-bucket form, I realize there are aspects of materials science left unaddressed by that article. Still, if high-speed drill bits are a reasonable application, I think gun slides could be on the same list, wrt durability and heat resistance.

Aluminum has been tied to Alzheimers.

So, no matter what you cook with, it'll kill you.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
    - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by yhtomit
    It'll cause cancer! (A lot of people think that of the various Teflon-and-branded-derivative coatings; I have no strong opinion, but have seen a lot of abused non-stick pans and do wonder whether I've injested much of the stuff.
    I seem to recall someone being assassinated when they put Teflon paint in his cigarette.
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

How do you know it wasn't the cigarette that killed him?
    Eloi-- Tastes Like Chicken

More:

http://www1.eere.energy.gov/industry...rialsjan05.pdf

Contains a reference to cermet, an additional information URL, and an eddress for Dr. Bruce A. Cook at the Ames lab.

The purity and initial particle size of the precursor materials have been shown to strongly influence the hardness and wear resistance of the final product. Similarly, the type and configuration of the mechanical alloying equipment employed in the production of the nanophase powders also affects the quality of the product.
    Be nice if they could vacuum-deposit it, like TiNi.

Or maybe electrophoretically coat the substrate with the precursors and then bake it all together.

Terry, 230RN

Quote Originally Posted by Chipperman
    How do you know it wasn't the cigarette that killed him?
    If they kill that quickly, I'd better quit
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club