Thread: Fifty Cal

ND Resident, Stationed in NC, Deployed Overseas

Fifty Cal

Howdy, folks.
    I didn't want to threadjack the Hollywood Gun Terms thread so I'll make a new one. Aside from the .500 S&W Magnum, .50 AE and the venerable .50 BMG, what are some of the other .50 caliber cartridges out there?

As a side note, is it true that non-shotgun calibers with a diamater greater than that of the .50 BMG are considered destructive devices in the US?
    Yes, I'm a grown man that loves My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Got a problem?

Destructive device.
    (a) Any explosive, incendiary, or poison gas (1) bomb, (2) grenade, (3) rocket having a propellent charge of more than 4 ounces, (4) missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than one-quarter ounce, (5) mine, or (6) similar device;
    (b) any type of weapon by whatever name known which will, or which may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant, the barrel or barrels of which have a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter, except a shotgun or shotgun shell which the Director finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes; and
    (c) any combination of parts either designed or intended for use in converting any device into a destructive device as described in paragraphs (a) and (b) of this definition and from which a destructive device may be readily assembled. The term shall not include any device which is neither designed or redesigned for use as a weapon; any device, although originally designed for use as a weapon, which is redesigned for use as a signaling, pyrotechnic, line throwing, safety, or similar device; surplus ordnance sold, loaned, or given by the Secretary of the Army under 10 U.S.C. 4684(2), 4685, or 4686, or any device which the Director finds is not likely to be used as a weapon, or is an antique or is a rifle which the owner intends to use solely for sporting purposes.

http://www.atf.treas.gov/regulations/27cfr179.pdf

.50 GI used in the .50GI 1911A1.

Off the top of my head:

.50 Alaskan (lever-gun)
    .50-70 Government (lever-gun)
    .50-90 Sharps (breach loading rifle)
    .50-95 WCF (breach loading rifle)
    .50-110 WCF (breach loading rifle)
    .500 Linebaugh (revolver)
    .500 Maximum (revolver)
    .50 Beowulf (AR platform)
    .500 NE (dangerous game rifle)
    .500 A-Square (dangerous game rifle)
    .500 Jeffrery (dangerous game rifle)
    .505 Gibbs (dangerous game rifle)

I'm sure I've overlooked some.

It should be noted that under current BATFE regs, over-.50 hunting rifles (up to and including .700 NE) are exempted as sporting arms, and so not considered destructive devices.

Also note that .50 is a popular black powder, muzzle-loader caliber.

It should be noted that under current BATFE regs, over-.50 hunting rifles (up to and including .700 NE) are exempted as sporting arms, and so not considered destructive devices.
    Try telling your shoulder that after a couple of rounds...
    Protect your 2nd Amendment rights and Join the NRA today! For a discounted membership click here

If you can read this, thank a teacher.
    If you're reading this in English, thank a veteran.

Let's not forget that under the generic term"50 cal." we can include:

50/70
    50/90
    50/100
    50/110
    50/120
    All are black powder cartridges from the 19th century. And from before that are all of the "50 cal." flint and percussion rifles and pistols!!

Oneshooter
    Livin in Texas
    'Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem' --
    - Ronald Reagan-

There's also the .50 spotter used in aiming recoilless rifles. Smaller and milder than .50 bmg. Fired from semi-auto actions mounted directly to the recoilless rifle, like the one shown below.

Rounds look kinda like this and are formed from .50 bmg brass.
    "Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect."
    -- Steven Wright

.50 DTC, 12.7x108, the russian equiv to the BMG. Other than tis, i think Loosedhorse got it.
    Could someone please explain to me what this space is for?

.577 Snyder, of course.

.50 Spotter is an awesome little cartridge... 800 grain Spotter/Tracer is a lot of fun.
    "Training errors are recorded on paper. Tactical errors are etched in stone." -Erwin Rommel
    Explanations exist: they have existed for all times, for there is always an easy solution to every problem neat, plausible and wrong. - H.L. Mencken

ND Resident, Stationed in NC, Deployed Overseas
    So .700 Nitro (which is .70 caliber right?) is legal? So what rounds aren't legal? Granted I don't have the money to buy the gun brass or ammo for these rounds, but do you folks have a list of what's legal and what's not?
    Yes, I'm a grown man that loves My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Got a problem?

20mm (in the various forms)
    14.5mm
    12 gauge from hell (I believe)
    40mm

And then you get into lots of artillery...
    "Training errors are recorded on paper. Tactical errors are etched in stone." -Erwin Rommel
    Explanations exist: they have existed for all times, for there is always an easy solution to every problem neat, plausible and wrong. - H.L. Mencken

So .700 Nitro (which is .70 caliber right?) is legal? So what rounds aren't legal? Granted I don't have the money to buy the gun brass or ammo for these rounds, but do you folks have a list of what's legal and what's not?
    H&H .700Nitro Express rifles are custom made. MSRP is 138,000 GBP (about $204,418 USD) and ammo cost about $100 a round.
    "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

do you folks have a list of what's legal and what's not?
    Very few hunting cartridges above .505 are made--most professional hunters will tell you that the trade-off between effectiveness on one hand and recoil, expense, and rifle weight on the other begins to RAPIDLY diminish after .470 NE. Outside of Africa (or a collector's vault), it's unclear they'd even be considered.

I assume that the .577, 600, and .700 NEs are all exempted from "destructive device" categorization (if I was in the market, I'm sure the seller would let me know, and I'd also get a letter confirming the same from the ATF--as they do seem to change their minds about these things!). There is a .600 double rifle listed for sale now, and several .577s; there's no mention of a tax stamp.

The SSK Industries 14.5 Whisper and 14.5 JDJ have their DD exemptions listed at the website.

I don't know if the .577 Tyranosaur is exempted. I suspect the Snider is exempted as antique.

With our best John Wayne accent - Well pilgrim, it looks like we NEED a .49 cal 1911.

.50-70 Government (lever-gun)
    Was it really ever used in anything but trapdoor Springfields?