Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In Memorium:John F.Kennedy,November 22,1963

In Memorium:John F.Kennedy,November 22,1963

45 years have passed since that terrible day.Much more than half most human's lifetime.But I still remember at age 17, exactly where I was at 1:35 P.M. EST when the news came over my car radio about the shots at the motorcade at Dealey Plaza.Millions of us old enough to remember know the feeling.
    I idolized JFK and cried on and off for days.A much older, and I hope wiser me, now realizes the man had many flaws and foibles.Yet looking at the current scene, and the present and soon to be future occupant of the White House, he's looking very good in comparison,IMO.
    A real,not manufactured U.S.Navy WWII hero and NRA life member,I prayerfully hope he's been resting peacefully.
    Here's a typical memory from that day that I found on the wire services:

http://www.katu.com/younews/34635649.html

Probably the last Democrat in office who didn't have an anti-RKBA agenda.

Today, his political ideology would be considered neoconservative by his party.

I remember the announcement being made over the PA system at school, my teacher starting to cry, and the early dismissal from school. We spent the next few days glued to the B&W TV, watching the news coverage, the death of Lee Harvey Oswald, and the funeral.

I was only in 2nd grade, but I remember the events of that week vividly.
    Lew Wallace was an optimist.

I want my country back!

I was in 3rd grade, heard the original announcement of the shooting while at home for lunch. I never did ask my mother why she sent me back to school that afternoon but it did give me a very clear memory of teachers and students (especially the girls) being very distraught/weepy upon the announcement of JFK's death. I have similar memories to those of Sistema, watching the entire thing unfold on a black & white TV while preparing for Thanksgiving week.

An avid supporter of American marksmanship and, as said, a bona-fide Naval Hero. His 'politics' you can debate as you like, his personal failings were those perhaps many men have shared---but WE NEED TO REMIND PEOPLE OF HOW HE LIVED AND WHAT HE STOOD FOR.

They focus on the 'martyr', not the man; a proud Life-Member of the National Rifle Association who lauded his organizations efforts to train citizens in the discipline of the shooting sports.
    Jack was on his feet.
    "We'll have rules!" he cried excitedly. "Lots of rules! Then when anyone breaks 'em--"

I was in tenth grade World Geography class. Our teacher was called from class to the office, and he returned to give us students the news. The rest of the day frankly is a blur to me.
    NRA Benefactor member, USCCA member, proud Harley owner

Sorry, I can't lionize somebody who had all of the character flaws that he had.(unfaithful to his wife and a narcissist) Also, can't really appreciate the fact that his daddy helped buy him the election using the mob and the unions. That being said, I don't think he deserved to be shot, but I won't change the history books in order to make him more than he was. I think if he hadn't been killed, he would be a lot less popular in many people's eyes today. I won't be herded along with the rest of the sheeple into believing this man had any qualities that needed to be revered. Sorry, I'm not drinking that kool aid. Just my opinion though.

I certainly do not revere JFK, but today, if he was the worst the Dem party had to offer, we'd be a lot better off. Tax-cutter, pro-RKBA, he's better than many Republicans these days.

I can agree with that Carnaby. There are too many moderate Republicans out there that make me shake my head in disgust. Kudos to JFK for at least being RKBA.

Sick that they used his death as impetus to enact draconian gun control laws.

interesting the contrast from those who were around and those who'd parents hadn't met and how they view him

Prior to JFK, we had a balanced budget. He let the deficit spending cat out of the bag. He also escalated out presence in Vietnam. JFK would have been very unpopular if he had lived. Unfortunately, LBJ took the rap for him.
    No matter where you are in the world, no matter your race or religion, there is only one antidote to an armed bad guy and that is an armed good guy.

Tim Tucker
    http://www.tulsaworld.com/opinion/ar...A15_hGuns11047

Considering what him, and his family, did TO this Country, no tears here.

To all those who were alive at the time it happened,

Why was everyone so weepy? If someone killed Bush, Obama, or even a politician I liked I wouldn't cry over it.
    Lets give Tennessee the best gun laws in the country!
    http://www.tfaonline.org/index.php
    http://www.tfaonline.org/forum
    NRA - Benefactor, TFA - Life, GOA - Life

Why was everyone so weepy? If someone killed Bush, Obama, or even a politician I liked I wouldn't cry over it
    Far from everyone was weepy,SomeKid.
    I knew more than one person who crowed in delight and went out and celebrated that Friday night in Miami.
    My own older brother who loved Dick Nixon and felt Kennedy had stolen the 1960 election was almost euphoric.You had to be old enough and aware enough at the time to see why this dichotomy of emotions existed.
    JFK was an enormously polarizing figure, who certainly transcended politics.You either loved him or hated him with little middle ground in the late '50's and early '60's.
    This love-hate factor can be seen to this very day on this very thread.In just 14 posts look at the disparate responses!
    He'll be just like Lincoln 100 years from now.Still being discussed, still being idolized or despised.
    Hope this helps to clear up some of the questions.

Why was everyone so weepy? If someone killed Bush, Obama, or even a politician I liked I wouldn't cry over it.
    It was a frightening time. We lived in constant fear of a nuclear attack by the Soviet Union. Looking back, I suspect Soviets were less capable of destroying us than we were told, but at the time, we believed it. The Cuban Missile Crisis and numerous other incidents convinced us that it was just a matter of time before the Russians came after us and those left alive would be living in a nightmare world with no infrastructure and crazed mutants running around. OK, in hindsight we were naive, but it didnít seem that way. In that backdrop, our young debonair president was publicly murdered. The fact that the Russians, Cubans, or whoever, could murder him in public, confirmed and inflated our worst fears. We wept in rage and terror.
    No matter where you are in the world, no matter your race or religion, there is only one antidote to an armed bad guy and that is an armed good guy.

Tim Tucker
    http://www.tulsaworld.com/opinion/ar...A15_hGuns11047

There was a time when the Presidency meant something. The majority of the country, both Democrats and Republicans, were deeply touched by the JFK assassination.

Your post is illustrative of the fact that we have lost that.
    Lew Wallace was an optimist.

I want my country back!

Sorry, I can't lionize somebody who had all of the character flaws that he had.(unfaithful to his wife and a narcissist) Also, can't really appreciate the fact that his daddy helped buy him the election using the mob and the unions. That being said, I don't think he deserved to be shot, but I won't change the history books in order to make him more than he was. I think if he hadn't been killed, he would be a lot less popular in many people's eyes today. I won't be herded along with the rest of the sheeple into believing this man had any qualities that needed to be revered. Sorry, I'm not drinking that kool aid. Just my opinion though.
    Those are some pretty severe allegations. I'm sure, though, you wouldn't be posting them unless you have some very strong, credible citations to back them up.
    Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. ó Denis Diderot

I was 12, and I remember how devastated my father,was. He had voted for Nixon and despised Kennedy, but he saw the assasination as an attack on our system of government.

Kind of odd, but most presidents who are assasinated are looked kindly upon in the history books.

I don't have an opinion on JFK (honestly don't know enough about him to make an educated opinion). I do remember my mom describing "the day" though. Even now she will cry about it, and she's one of the most pro-gun people I know.

I was in study hall at high school when the news came over the PA system. I was also dismayed that a few (very few) made smart aleck remarks. I was not a great Kennedy fan and did not like the deification of a mortal, but my criticism was on the level of good natured kidding (Mad Magazine: "He tossled up his hair so carefully/that now he's the ruler of the whole country.") Very unlike the venom of the Clinton and Bush haters today.
    Cogito me cogitare; ergo, cogito me esse.

He was a Kennedy! What more can be said?
    Vietnam Veteran

I'm sure, though, you wouldn't be posting them unless you have some very strong, credible citations to back them up.
    What? That he was unfaithful to his wife? That was common knowledge.

He also got the mob to push the unions to vote for him. Then when Bobby became AG and began persecuting the mafia, the mafia felt betrayed. That's why when jfk got whacked, people who were into conspiracy theories felt it was a revenge hit by the mafia.

In other words, you do not have cites and are just repeating gossip, hearsay, and rumors.
    Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. ó Denis Diderot

I was there. I remember the news.

I'm not going to do your research for you. You have me confused with someone who cares what you think. Your statements are probably the most ignorant I've read all month.