Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Feel About Profiteering?

How Do You Feel About Profiteering?

Are you an adherent of free-market economics to the point that you overlook instances such as the one below?

Personally, I find it reprehensible that some vendors are choosing to price gouge on certain items, given the current atmosphere. I understand basic supply and demand principles, but I, for one, will remember tactics like the image below when it comes to future business.

Most ridiculous in this particular case is that CTD suggests that MSRP on these magazines is $59.96. Price listed on the Magpul site (even though Magpul is currently not taking orders) is $14.95. So not only is CTD benefiting from the panic; they're actively deceiving buyers in order to add to it.

TFL Alumnus # 6237
    Gun control should just be about hitting your target.

It pays to be a smart-buyer. Tactics like this are annoying but profiteering is part of a free market. You can't have one without the other.

I, for one, wouldn't buy the first *anything* I saw if it was over 10 bucks.

Perhaps a gun-owner's protection act? I'm sure Obama would be happy to put these awful magazine sellers out of business! And anyone who raises the prices of guns or ammo, too.

Let's write to him! (I feel more protected already.)

Yup, supply and demand...capitalism at work. If no one procrastinated and waited until AFTER the election to buy ammo and mags the demand would be the same as before as well as the price. I for one find it incredible how many people didn't stock up since AWB #1 sunseted. Four years to supply oneself and the multitudes wait until after a radical president and leftist-majority congress are elected. It's like down here in Florida when a hurricane is forecasted and a day after it hits people are bitching about not having gas or water. We've all seen and heard the same warnings. Some act and prepare while others don't. As far as not giving a company business after (or if) the prices come down, I'm sure most consumers will forget their anger when they see those same companies offering deals again.

The only time I get concerned about profiteering tends to be around the basics...food, water, shelter.
    "The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on"

It's their dirt, let them sell it for however much they want. That's economics. The fallacy to gouging is that the truly loyal buyers, such as ourselves, remember these things and won't shop there anymore. So a trick to maintain profit margin or prepare for future supply issues ends up hurting in the long run.

Personally, I find it a bit ironic that the only stable (or improving) part of the economy is "Zombie Survival" gear: your long-term storage foods, generators, and especially guns and ammo. And Obama is going to ban most of it at some point, just to make sure the economy is truly in the ditch and ain't gettin' out. Sorry to seem political, but we know where things are heading at this point.
    The worst things happen at the most critical times, and it's these moments that YOU need to be flawless, not the gun.

Years of Communist oppression have made the Mosin Nagant impervious to physical damage.

Warms my capitalist heart. If something is hard to get.. it should go up in price. That's like having a problem w/ the price of gold! So what if it's rare, it shouldn't cost so much!
    "Guns are swell" - me

I don't feel there should be government legislation against it... But I'm with you about CTD. I'm fine for the most part with them jacking up prices (I'll just buy from someone who is selling them for less), but when they raise the MSRP that is lieing. That's where they completely lost me.

I'm fine with everyone else raising prices too, within reason. I don't take it kindly when they double the price 'in anticipation' of manufacturer increases. If the mfg's tell us they're charging more, then the suppliers have to to keep alive. If the mfg's have kept mum about it, I'll not buy from those who have jacked up the prices.

If I had the money I'd be buying hundreds of normal capacity magazines, because I know I'll be able to charge a lot more for them when/if a ban occurs.

Oh, and CTD is never cheap - they always seem to be "profiteering".

I've still managed to find AR mags for $10 each or so. Takes some lookin though.
    יזכר לא עד פעם (Remember. Never Again.)

You ain't seen nothin' yet.
    NRA Patron Member - Rides: '06 FLHTP Shoots: Colt Ser 70/Colt 6520 Carries: Colt Defender Drinks: Buffalo Trace Status: Still married to my ex-girlfriend

The price is what someone is willing to pay, not what the seller demands.

Dirt has certainly gotten a lot more expensive, hasn't it!
    Freedom ain't free...........

Take a look on GunBroker. CTD's price isn't that for outta line with other sellers who have the item. And people are bidding on them, up to $40 in some cases.
    NRA Patron Member - Rides: '06 FLHTP Shoots: Colt Ser 70/Colt 6520 Carries: Colt Defender Drinks: Buffalo Trace Status: Still married to my ex-girlfriend

The only time I get concerned about profiteering tends to be around the basics...food, water, shelter.
    I've always considered guns and ammo "basics."

I guess "spare" magazines are kinda luxuries, though...
    Last edited by Loosedhorse; November 22nd, 2008 at 09:14 PM.

I was 18 by only a few months in sept of 94.

Since 2004 I have been BUYING all the ban-ables I could.

Wasn't going to get caught with my pants down again.

I have to chuckle at that price because the week before the election I paid just $12 for the same thing. Should have emptied my bank account I guess.

Buy low, sell high, the American way. I'm all for it.
    Jahwarrior said: I could've given them my ID, but I am right, and obstinate about being so. so, yes,I could've ended it by just cooperating, but that would have hypocritical, lazy, and cowardly.

I don't have any moral problem with it, nor do I think it should be illegal.

That said, I tend not to do business with companies known for high starting prices and even higher price increases. The whole "profiteering" thing, in addition to being bad for the olí checking account, doesn't speak too highly of a business's attitude towards its customers.

[Snidely Whiplash voice] What part of "caveat emptor" did you not understand?[/Snidely Whiplash voice]

I suppose I have objections to the guy who reportedly took a truckload of portable generators into south Florida right after Hurricane Andrew and sold them for eight to ten times what he paid for them, but catalog sales before the disaster? I don't think so.
    Gee, I'd love to see your data!

The Land of Northern Hospitality and Southern Efficiency
    Well,

Let's look at this from another direction. At the "Nation's Gun Show" in Northern VA this weekend, prices are spiked across the board. Chinese SKS rifles going for $375.00 is one example.

I spoke to several vendors who have been UNABLE to get new supply in and don't know if they will or not after January. Thus, in order to stay in business they have had to raise their prices.

Also, a simple Google Search will show that Cheaper than Dirt is often one of the more expensive games in town. IMHO, those that don't bother with even that simple .12 second level of search, deserve to pay higher prices.
    Move along move along. Nothing to see here.

Not bothered at all.
    Send lawyers, guns, and money . . .

Administrator   
    1. Is their replacement cost bound to be higher? Yes.
    2. Would they run out and not be able to order replacements in time if sticking to the old, lower price? Yes. Would you prefer to be able to buy magazines at $40 or have none available at $20?
    3. Places which do not raise prices are using the popular goods as loss leaders in hopes of selling other accessories also and to retain customer good will. Others would rather make enough on their main products to be able to afford re-stocking.
    Oleg Volk
    A Human Right | Blog

For items that are not really considedered 'essential' the idea of price gouging does not apply -- in this case true supply & demand at work. I would give things a couple weeks or so & wait for things to calm down to 'normal' again.
    "We will not waver; we will not tire; we will not falter; and we will not fail. Peace and freedom will prevail." President George W. Bush, October 7, 2001

Everyone is keying in on supply/demand and free markets. That I understand.

What I don't understand is presenting "list price" as $59.96. CTD knows that people are going to read that and wonder if Magpul has raised MSRP. Incidentally, from everything I've read, Magpul has not.
    TFL Alumnus # 6237
    Gun control should just be about hitting your target.

I think it will die down in a couple of months unless Obama decides to go after gun owners, in which case all bets are off.

Also, more of the same. This is back when their website listed the real prices for list prices. They since jiggered it so that it always shows savings, even if it meant an untrue retail price.

I, for one, will remember tactics like the image below when it comes to future business.
    And that's where competition comes in. Reward businesses that engage in practices you agree with. Refuse to support those that don't.

I think deception is immoral (and is the only thing in the OP's ad I find objectionable), but I don't want any authorities getting involved. We certainly don't need bureaucrats combing websites and ad pages to make sure all listed MSRP's are accurate. Buyers need to educate themselves before purchasing something. It's really not that difficult.
    "Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place." - Frederic Bastiat, The Law