Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Argh! Another mall shooting!

Angry Argh! Another mall shooting!

Once again, the Puget Sound area was subject to a shooting at a shopping mall earlier today where one person was killed and another injured. With the Christmas shopping season approaching, be ever vigilant at the mall, in the parking lot, at the bank, or wherever you happen to be. Proof once again that nowhere in America is truly 'safe' and that it can happen to anyone, anywhere.

The Southcenter Mall shooting news story

What's sad is this is a huge, newly remodeled mall with a lot of new shops and restaurants. It's a travesty that it, once again, has been hit with violence. On March 12th, it was the scene of a shooting in the parking lot.

I plan on heading to the Southcenter Mall sometime this week to take my girlfriend's daughter to dinner then to do some Christmas shopping. This will not deter me.
    "The world has no room for cowards. We must all be ready somehow to toil, to suffer, to die. And yours is not the less noble because no drum beats before you when you go out into your daily battlefields, and no crowds shout about your coming when you return from your daily victory or defeat." -- Robert Louis Stevenson

Folks,

Be prepared for a rash of these incidents and the propaganda campaign which goes with them. The new President will get all the news-media support he needs for his anti-gun agenda.

Don't be surprised. Be prepared!

Don't submit to the propaganda. Fight it with counterpoints. Every time one of these happens, shout at the top of your lungs that armed citizens SHOULD put a stop to these events! Shout with all your might about victim disarmament zones, government mandated victim-hood, and politicians attempting to render YOU helpless.

You are responsible for your own safety!

Buy guns, ammo and magazines NOW. Get proficient with them NOW!

PR
    PR
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "The people do not know what is best for themselves. Therefor we must FORCE the people to be happy!"

Doesn't sound like a random shooting. Sounds like a couple of Einstein's got into a fight and one of them decided to end it with a gun. I'm guessing he probably wasn't legally eligible to own a handgun in the first place. He'll be viewing the world from behind steel bars soon.

http://armsandthelaw.com/archives/20...opping_sch.php

Police are learning that you can't wait for swat, and that nutjobs bent on mass killing target "gun free" zones. Surprising that they admit it.

I certainly don't think it was random, either, unlike the Tacoma Mall shooting we had two years ago. The only bothersome thing is if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time, you risk being the next victim because a group of miscreants decided to shoot at each other. I haven't heard exactly how many rounds were fired and what , if anything, was hit in the background besides the two victims. This is pathetic. Truly pathetic.

The news footage also shows scores of people standing outside the crime scene tape, gawking at everything, and then an aerial shot of the mall and literally hundreds of cars at every exit as everyone tries to leave. It reminds me of being in a mall in a Cleveland suburb with my sister during the east coast blackout in 2003. As soon as it happened, everyone stopped, looked around, then pulled out their cel phones to call whoever and ask what was happening. Of course, the cel systems got overloaded and we couldn't make a call for at least an hour once we left the mall. I remember seeing very few people leaving once it became evident that the power wasn't coming back on immediately and had to be told to leave by security.

While I don't think this would be the case in a mall shooting, I do believe a great number of people would stop or not move despite hearing the gunfire, either because they're unsure of what the sound is or are frozen with fear. Once reality sets in and the droves head for the exits, this is where the situation exasperates and intensifies.

This, once again, is a great reminder to make sure you are prepared and have a plan of what you'd do should you be caught in the same situation. Cowardly as this event is, it is commonplace and has become a branding in American culture that I, along with everyone here, would absolutely rather not happen.
    "The world has no room for cowards. We must all be ready somehow to toil, to suffer, to die. And yours is not the less noble because no drum beats before you when you go out into your daily battlefields, and no crowds shout about your coming when you return from your daily victory or defeat." -- Robert Louis Stevenson

news reports now indicate it was gang-banger BS.

That was actually kinda predictable, wasn't it?

Yes, but "1 dead in mall shooting" makes better national headlines than "Ethnic gang members kill each other."
    No, holding that venegence upon their enemies was more to be desired than any personal blessings, and reckoning this to be the most glorious of hazards, they joyfully determined to accept the risk... Thus, choosing to die resisting, rather than to live submitting, they fled only from dishonor... Pericles' Funeral Oration

There was another shooting in the Skyway area of Renton, not too far from the SouthCenter Mall. I wonder if the shooter from the Mall was doing a second shift in the neighborhood. The word I got was that a couple of groups were told to take the disagreement outside, whereupon trunks were opened and gunfire was unleashed. Seems we have heard this before.

News article here: http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/...hooting23.html
    Last edited by Cliff47; November 23rd, 2008 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Insert link to news article

Yes, but "1 dead in mall shooting" makes better national headlines than "Ethnic gang members kill each other."
    eah its funny how they 'omit' such information,isnt it?I would like to believe that 'some Americans' arent sheeple enough not to dig deeper into these 'new media blitz's' to possibly justify their 'agenda's'

batten down the hatches, the media is going to have a field day

The sky is falling, the sky. is. FALLING!

The sky is falling, the sky. is. FALLING!
    Ok, who's been shooting straight up?
    "Lenin at least had an excuse for his mindlessness: he died of syphillis." - Standing Wolf
    "Remember, Remember The Fifth of November!"
    "It's not my Goal in life to be appropriate."

The local evening news released the fact that the shooting was between two local gangs, and that the shooter (still at large) has been identified. it is just a matter of time before he is arrested.

I just have to say: This really dosn't surprise me. I was in that mall a few months ago. I was on a business trip and in a hotel not far from the mall. So I went and walked around one night before having dinner at the Cheese Cake Factory.

While I observed a very diversified mix of ethnic backgrounds, I had the distinct impression of a lot of tension under the surface. Can't exactly say why - just a feeling. But, as in many malls, it also seemed like there were quite a few young men dressed as thugs and moving in groups. I had the impression this was territorial.

Well, I don't have any idea what started it, but soon several of the young men started verbal challenging, posturing, puffing up and it appeared to me about to come to blows (at least). I stepped into the Radio Shack store and suggested to the young employees that they may want to call security.

The response I got was "why, is there a fight - you want to call the PO-LICE?" The young man could barely restrain himself from running down to see the fight himself. The girl went towrds the door too. I left and went in the other direction as many people ran towards the commotion to see what was going on....

I am aware of shootings in malls that start with something as simple as someone bumping into someone else or looking the wrong way. Especially if there are similar young meen involved.

No, I can't say I am surprised, saddened yes but not surprised. Very nice looking modern mall - too many thugs.
    The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed -- and hence clamorous to be led to safety -- by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. -H.L. Mencken, writer, editor, and critic (1880-1956)

Hmmm... Perhaps Gecko45 was a man ahead of his time.

Hmmm... Perhaps Gecko45 was a man ahead of his time.

Sorry. I don't get the reference.
    The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed -- and hence clamorous to be led to safety -- by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. -H.L. Mencken, writer, editor, and critic (1880-1956)

Larryect:

There's a long (and perhaps best-forgotten) tale of a "mall ninja" named Gecko45.

Whether the original Gecko45 was a real, serious person (delusional, or just self-aggrandizing) or it was all an extended joke, I dunno. The gist of it: "mall ninjadom" is exemplified by people who a) see danger at every turn and b) imagine themselves overcoming it with the aid of their ever-present personal armory, special tactical training, secret hand signals, preternatural ability to sense and anticipate the actions of The Naughty, etc.

And specifically, it had to do with the (seemingly far-fetched) idea of malls crawling with heavily-armed criminals, not just with the occasional and perhaps inevitable nutjob who wants to kill others and possibly himself, but pretty much all the time.

timothy

Sorry. I don't get the reference.
    http://lonelymachines.org/mall-ninjas/

Ah yes, thanks. I do remember the tales of the "Mall-Ninja" and ceramic plates duct taped to the body armor to withstand 308 or somethong similar. I had just not remebered the name that went with it.

If it is a true ARG why do you even post it?

They arrested the punk in Portland today.

Tukwila, the city that South Center Mall is located in, is not exactly the pinnacle of low crime. Past the main drag, if you drive down a few blocks away from the mall and a few of the industrial park areas, it seems to get pretty run down pretty fast.

Overall, the puget sound area is relatively low in assault and murder crimes compared to many other similar areas in the nation. It's just another event that the media can capitalize on.

I've never been off I-5 there. All I know about Tukwila is that it's the home of the famous S
    Governments don't live together. People live together.

They arrested the punk in Portland today.
    If I heard correctly, "the punk" may have been acting in self-defense.