Thread: Smith and Wesson 4506

Smith and Wesson 4506

I am thinking about buying a 4506. Does anyone have experience with them?
    "Thank-you veterans for protecting our freedoms!"

Well I owned one for awhile and shot it quite a bit! Big heavy duty, 45 Auto that pretty well digested anything I put in. Was accurate but not as much so as say my 1911. It got traded because I like the DAO S&W auto's better in this series. IMO the S&W 4586 was one of the best .45 Autos ever made. A 4586 was my main house gun for a number of years. Fine automatic!

I've owned the 4506, 4566, and 457. All were fine pistols and functioned without a hiccup. In fact all S&W third-generation pistols I've owned were great.

Of the three .45 cals, I think the 4506 had the best balance, although obviously it wasn't the best for warm weather carry.
    It's just like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, except the Earth isn't destroyed and Arthur Dent is seven people.
    Reckless Faith: My science fiction adventure series.

The 4506 was the first .45 I've ever shot. It's still my favorite (and I've shot a lot of them since then).

It was accurate, the big beefy grip felt good in the hand, and recoil was low too.
    Member:
    NRA
    JPFO

I like the DAO S&W auto's better in this series. IMO the S&W 4586 was one of the best .45 Autos ever made.
    Amen, Brother...amen...

One of my favorites. I only pick the Sig 220 over it because the S&W is so heavy.

Just got one. It's a beast, but I'm really liking it. I've always liked the 3rd gen smiths, and this has been no exception so far. I had trigger work on it, it had a jacked-up sear, but that's fixed and it shoots fine.

I have a 4566 and 457. They are respectively a commander and officers sized S&W .45s. I would imagine the 4506 is just a good of pistol as the ones I have and I wouldn't think of parting with them. They have functioned 100% even with el cheapo reload semi-wadcutters.

S&w 4506...

Ask Det SGT Sonny Crockett...

but really, S&W no longer makes the 4506 so unless you are buying it for target use or as a collector, I'd think twice. If you like big DA/SA .45acp pistols it may be a good buy but if want to use it for protection or duty use, I'd go with a newer model that is still in production.

RS
    TUBBS: What makes us better than them?
    CROCKETT: We're better shots.
    NBC's Miami Vice

Another ditto for the 4586. My Idaho LEA trade-in resides in the nightstand drawer, along with two extra mags, a Sure fire light and cell phone.

It's been absolutely reliable functionally and the relatively short DAO pull is both smooth and easy to learn to deliver good hits quickly with.
    "A generation which ignores history has no past - and no future."
    Robert A. Heinlein

When I was an LEO our dept issued the 4506 as primary carry. It was a beast to pack all day, but was comforting to know it was a .45 you could rely on if everything went south. I now own and carry in the colder months a 4566 and a 4516, both of which have been 100% reliable!
    [IMG][/IMG]