Thread: 110g Fed Hydra as a carry load

110g Fed Hydra as a carry load

I basically stole a Smithy 442 with 2 boxes of Federal 110 low recoil. I got it all for $$250.00. His reason for selling was not enough confidence in this as a carry setup. I swallowed my tongue and took the deal. So the question is ...what are the thoughts on fed 110 ????... A point of note, I do want to keep this carry setup as light as possible.

Hi tackleberry it would seem you have yourself a fine carry set up indeed. On the ammo it seems this load does quite good out of a snub nose revolver especially for a non +p loading in this caliber. This load it what I carry in colt cobra,agent and S&W model 42 lemon squeezer as +p in a big no no in these early alloy frame snubs. Second one down is the load you speak of not bad at all,this website has a lot of great info on snub nose revolvers and the best ammo/holsters and how/where to carry them. I hope this helps you out some.
    http://www.snubnose.info/docs/snubby_ballistics.htm

That old 110 gr stuff basically gives you the terminal performance of a .380 in a 9mm-sized package. Even the +P+ "treasury load" is severely sub par.

I'd buy a box of Speer 135 gr Short Barrel Gold Dots, shoot 5 to confirm point of impact, and never look back.
    He hit the ground, the sound was splat, his blood went spurting high
    His comrades they were heard to say "a helluva way to die"
    He lay there rolling round in the welter of his gore
    And he ain't gonna jump no more

Yeah, that gun is easily tough enough for +P and the Speer 135 load isn't that nasty in terms of recoil and would be a big jump up in performance.

If you must use standard pressure, consider the Buffalo Bore 125gr load - mild recoil and almost as effective as the Speer 135+P. The Buffalo Bore standard pressure 158gr will match or possibly exceed the performance of the Speer 135 but recoil will go up to at least as high if not a bit higher.

Nothing at all wrong with the gun . At 15oz it's as light as I'd want to go in a 38Spl.
    Jim March
    TFL Alumnus
    Equal Rights for CCW Home Page
    http://www.equalccw.com
    Airplane Pictures