Thread: Don't bring a sword to a gunfight

Don't bring a sword to a gunfight

Sword-Wielding Man Fatally Shot at Los Angeles Scientology Building

LOS ANGELES A security guard shot and killed a man wielding two Samurai swords Sunday on the grounds of a Scientology building in Hollywood, police said.

The unidentified man approached three guards around noon in the parking lot of the Scientology Celebrity Centre, Deputy Chief Terry S. Hara said.

The man was "close enough to hurt them" when one of the guards shot him, Hara said.

Detectives were questioning the guard to figure out the swordsman's motive and determine whether the shooting was justified.

Surveillance tape showed the man arriving at the center's parking lot in a red convertible, then approaching the guards with a sword in each hand, Hara said.

Calls to Scientology spokespeople were not immediately returned Sunday.
    "The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on"

Church Defense

Yet another church discovers that self defense and protection of members is something best not left to police.

You know, if enough churches make member defense a priority in-house, armed nut jobs will have to look for soft targets elsewhere.

Good on them for having ARMED security.

Daughter: "Dad, how do I know who's a real friend?"
    Me: "A friend is someone who cares how your life turns out."

"Truth is a dangerous thing: once found, you must never turn your back on it." -- gh@c2

"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe." -- gh@c2

Man w/ 2 swords shot at Scientology Ctr (in L.A.)

http://news.google.com/?ncl=1273707001&hl=en&topic=n

From KTLA's version of the story, "Police detained the guard for questioning, but said surveillance tape footage of the incident backed his claim of self-defense. "

I am no fan of the CoS (various reasons, some of them quite serious), but if someone has a few swords swinging and I think they're coming towards me, I'd be glad to have a gun in my hand.

Guess he's heard of the Tueller drill.

timothy

Wow. Glad I'm not a security guard. I've spent some time behind a sword. Trained quite a while with a full-blown rapier, private instruction. Wouldn't want to have someone coming at me with one, outside of a controlled sparring setting. Especially not a samurai type sword, as one news report on the incident mentions. Samurai type edged weapons can sever limbs very easily. One good hit and it's all over. Nasty!
    Last edited by Lookn4Brass; November 23rd, 2008 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Better wording needed.
    Let's all stand together, so we won't have to stand apart later on.

Freedom is worth the price. Count the cost.

How to put this...
    First, I'm not sure what a "full-blown rapier" is as they tend to be made of steel, not flowers.

Second, there are scientific facts which get in the way of being able easily to sever limbs with a sword. Bone is bone, and anyone who has a modicum of knowledge of the working of steel, who has ever had to quarter 70 chickens with access to expensive, finely crafted knives many times the metallurgical superior to the quality of Japanese steel found in historical "samurai type edged weapons", and who has personally suffered an industrial accident involving more horsepower than is generally found in Scientology building invaders, will quickly tell you that there is simply no easy way to sever human limbs with a sword.

Third, the people who actually do have the particular knowledge of how to sever a limb with a "samurai type edged weapon" generally also have the knowledge of how to strike with a closed hand for "one good hit and it's all over".

Fourth, bringing relevance back, if you invented a time machine and brought Miyamoto Musashi home with you from the height of his career, I'd still take him out with a Glock 19. The real world isn't like the end of Yojimbo, it's exactly like the end of Once Upon a Time in China.
    Don't blame me, I voted for Ron Paul!

One good hit and it's all over.
    Someones been watching too much future weapons...
    Why do I feel the need to correct almost every girl who claims she isn't pretty?

Ouch. I'm not intending to mess up this thread. Not sure who you're mad at, but the intention was to comment on the article, not offend someone watching this thread. Sorry you've had a rough time with sharp things. This is all I intend to say on the matter. Peace.
    Let's all stand together, so we won't have to stand apart later on.

Freedom is worth the price. Count the cost.

Beatnick,

Maybe you could google daki kubi where the assistant decapitates one performing seppuku. A katana will sever heads (or limbs) when used properly.

Also Miamoto Musashi was adept at Strategy, not just swordsmanship. A Glock in your hand might prove insufficient.

So, what did we learn here today?
    _________

Levers, wheels, blades & sticks

REPUBLIC OF TEXAS, DISTRICT OF ROUND ROCK
    The Japanese weapon of choice was rated by the maker by how many bodies it could cut through with a single blow. The most expensive and highly praised weapons could cut through 4 stacked bodies. Bone or no bone, I would say that's pretty dangerous. Watch PBS every once in a while they run the sword show that tells all about the Samari Sword. In the right hands, a limb with bone would offer little resistance. I watched a demonstration at a gun show where a full ham (uncooked, bone in) was sliced into 1" thick steaks with one. Yep, if I were approached by a man swinging a sword, the Colt Defender would get exercised. The gun is the reason the Samari is no longer the top weapon of war these days.
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    --George Washington

Blue River Wisconsin, in a little hut in the woods
    I collect and play around with swords but I am a gunman first. I don't want anybody coming at me with some of the swords I have, well any of them to tell the truth. Security guard had a right to be scared even if the guy had a basket full of fruit between his ears. Unskilled men can hurt you with a blade and the hit rate for shooters under pressure is right around the 25% mark. Good for the Security guard for keeping his cool and keeping his life.
    1934 National Firearms Act, 1968 The Gun Control Act, 1986 Firearms Owners Protection Act, 1993 Brady Handguns Violence Act, 1994 Assault Weapons Ban, 1995 Gun Free School Zones Act, NO MORE COMPROMISING

If you are going up against a samurai sword just make sure you have a big enough gun. M2 appears to be the minimum:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl7_WFg7PAc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TFIQ-7TxMw&NR=1

REPUBLIC OF TEXAS, DISTRICT OF ROUND ROCK
    Try this, cut right through the bone...
    http://thearma.org/Videos/NTCvids/greatswordonmeat.mpv
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    --George Washington

Well, I kinda figure that, when practicing tameshigiri the exercise--and objective--is to cut through tightly rolled tatami in a single blow for each stroke--and since the tatami happens to be a LOT tougher than flesh--that the properly utilized katana, dai-katana or wakazashi would have no problems cleaving someone in two. Ever heard of the "sky to ground" cut?
    Hiding in plain sight....

The samurai swords are incredibly dangerous. We aren't talking about the $20 gunshow katanas here. We're talking about layers of steel honed to a point so sharp that if you merely run your thumb along the edge...it will fall off. I know, my friend did it.

He was taking a class i believe in college where you learned different techniques with the sword and ran his finger along the edge without thinking about it. Ouch.
    You can't get into a boxing match with a Norinco 982!

All Ninja sword lore aside, a guy w/ any bladed weapon in each hand is a pretty good threat.
    "Guns are swell" - me

Yeah, and don't some of those people who get split(sky to ground) with the sharpest swords walk around for hours, sometimes days, before the left and right halves of their bodies actually come apart??? Heck, some of them so long that they grow back together and never even knew they were cut...except for that vague and unexplainable feeling of loneliness that each side feels for a couple days.

It doesn't matter if it was fine sword or a boyscout knife.
    If it ain't a rock or pointy stick, it's a copy.

A guy with a 10 dollar machete is just as dangerous, big heavy blade will do a lot of damage.

FerFAL