Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this Legal (Active Duty, in NC from ND)

ND Resident, Stationed in NC, Deployed Overseas

Is this Legal (Active Duty, in NC from ND)

Howdy, folks.
    I need to know if this is legal. Based on principal, I really want to find a way around North Carolina's Draconian Pistol Purchase Permit Laws. I am a legal resident of North Dakota. My orders also give me legal residence (though I don't pay state taxes save sales) to North Carolina. If I fill out all of the paperwork, via snail mail, along with emailing a copy of my CWP to my FFL from my hometown, could I purchase a pistol in ND and then have him transfer it to me in NC without having to buy a Pistol Purchase Permit? Please do not comment on the money I might save. I disagree with the NC PPP Laws and want to find a LEGAL way around them, even if it costs a little more. So can I do it?
    Yes, I'm a grown man that loves My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Got a problem?

Administrator   
    You'd have to pick it up in person, I'm afraid.
    "Tactical" is a mindset, not an equipment list.

Home | Forum | Blog | ❏ PicPaste | ImgDump |☎ Nalioth

Aaryq,the answer appears to be here and the answer appears to be no:

http://www.grnc.org/firearms.htm#north

You might check with your Provost Marshal to see exactly what the status of active duty servicemen is concerning bring personal owned weapons into the State. (You might be able to "ship it to yourself" from ND without needing to put up with all of the NC bull....)

Administrator   
    Quote Originally Posted by deadin
    (You might be able to "ship it to yourself" from ND without needing to put up with all of the NC bull....)
    You can already "ship it to yourself" now.

The point is: he doesn't want to drive from NC to ND to initiate the shipping (if he did that, he could just bring it back with him in his luggage).

Search for a user named marinepilot he had all kinds of fun trying to buy a pistol in N.C.
    It is your dissatisfaction with what IS that is the source of all of your unhappiness. Matthew Scudder

No Results. Can you give me the jist of the attempt?
    Yes, I'm a grown man that loves My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Got a problem?

Long story short he was in a perpetual pissing contest W/ the county Sherrif over O.C. and the pistol purchase permit. He didn't do anything illegal but he pushed it right to the limit. And reflected great discredit on himself, his unit and the United States Marine Corps. As well as (probably) made any dealings you're going to have W/ the Sherrif just that much more difficult.

Last time he posted he was carrying an empty holster around Hawii as a protest. I'm thinkin' he's gonna get passed over for promotion a time or two
    It is your dissatisfaction with what IS that is the source of all of your unhappiness. Matthew Scudder

Administrator   
    Seplling is emportint

It's marinepilot81

laws have change recently....... some for the good....... some are kind of confusing......were you stationed....... PM me

Semper Fi
    It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men....

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

5 bucks for the purchase permit. If you're near right reverend, it may take a long time or require extra paperwork due to the large Marine population there (hat tip). In my case (ID resident domiciled in Carteret Co.), I applied on Wed, dropped $5 on Friday for the permit and was back from Lejeune with my precious by 1800. The workers at the annex were floored by how quickly I got my permit, citing their local sheriffs workload as the reason for delays in their county.

What's your location? And have you even applied yet?
    God willing, I will never have to return fire - I will initiate.

Not applied yet. I'm in Cherry Point. I haven't applied because I disagree with the whole system of having to "ask daddy" to buy a gun. I disagree with it so I am doing whatever I can to not participate in it.

Aaryq - whatever you do, consider how it will effect your military career.

Don't cut off your nose to spite your face - specially if you have a family relying on your income.

Regards,

Rob
    SFC USA (RET)
    Maker of Custom Kydex Knife Sheaths and Accessory Holders
    NRA & NAHC Life Member

Rob, have no intentions of breaking the law. I'm simply trying to find a way around following standard procedures listed in the law without breaking it.

Right down the road. (hat tip)

If you xfer the pistol to a local FFL, they will require a permit from your local sheriff to complete the transaction. Do you have any folks back home, family or friends, who could purchase, then ship to you? I'm sure you would have thought of that already though...
    God willing, I will never have to return fire - I will initiate.

Administrator   
    Quote Originally Posted by kornesque
    Do you have any folks back home, family or friends, who could purchase, then ship to you?
    That is a Federal crime.

For him to be legal, he'll have to do the traveling himself.

Do you have any folks back home, family or friends, who could purchase, then ship to you?
    He's caught in a Catch 22. The only ways he can legally have a handgun shipped across a State Line without going through a FFL in the receiving State is a return from a repair facility (and he would have had to ship it to the repair facility from where he is going to receive it back), shipping it to himself or as a bequeathment. This is by Federal rules. NC has their own set of laws. I believe that they even require a permit to receive a handgun in a bequeathment.

I'm afraid he has a very limited number of legal choices. Go back to ND and buy his gun and bring it back with him, just do without or suck it up, swallow his pride and get the $5 permit.

He could also request a transfer to another State, but, somehow, I don't think the Corps would accept his reason for the request.

Draconian?

You do know that there is no requirement in law for the permit to ever go any futher than the seller nor is there a mechanism for them to do so. It's a five-dollar tax on the transfer of a handgun, that's all. Of course, the roots of the law are deeply racist but nowadays, we can point to them and tell the GFWs* that "of course there's a waiting period and a permit system too". I get them five at a time when I run low. It is supposed to take five business days and it never takes longer (at least in my experience).

* Gun Fearing Weenies
    Russ

Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium
    "I prefer liberty with danger to peace with slavery"

Kafka would love this thread.
    Totally surreal and dreamlike.

It's a racist law, but still on the books.
    Not forever though.As was said already,don't risk your career for this Jim Crow anachronism.

Just get your hand gun permit. Then you don't need the "pistol purchase permit".

I know it's a screwed up law but this is the only legal way around the pistol purchase permit.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aaryq
    Not applied yet. I'm in Cherry Point. I haven't applied because I disagree with the whole system of having to "ask daddy" to buy a gun. I disagree with it so I am doing whatever I can to not participate in it.
    You can not participate in it for as long as you choose, but that won't bring you a firearm. The laws my not be to your liking, they may even be unconstitutional, but until they are repealed or overturned ... they are the laws.

If your FFL at home sends you a gun through an FFL in NC, the transaction in NC is a transfer and you still need the permit to take delivery. That's the deal in a nutshell. Either play the game and buy the gun, or protest the law by "not participating" ... which means no gun.

Quote Originally Posted by kornesque
    Do you have any folks back home, family or friends, who could purchase, then ship to you? I'm sure you would have thought of that already though...
    Are you advising him--AND his relatives--to break Federal law?

The law allows an individual to ship a handgun to himself. That means he has to put it in the box, seal and address the box, and take it to the UPS or FedEx depot for shipping, and on the receiving end only he may open the box (although it can be addressed to himself in care of a third party if he won't get there before the package). The BATFE FAQ clearly states that if the package is addressed in care of a third party, the third party may not open the package.

I thought one of the operational rules here at THR was to not advocate breaking laws. Whatever happened to that?

This is Weird, I never had a problem when I was a Bragg. The Sheriff gave me permit to purchase 5 pistols after my commander signed the letter. Lasted me a whole year.

This is Weird, I never had a problem when I was a Bragg.
    I think this is more of a protest than a real problem. You know, "I'm going to hold my breath until I turn blue if I can't have my way."

I think your best bet is to wonder out to the good people at "ED's Guns " in Newport and ask if they can handle a transfer from one state to another based on the fact that you process a ND carry conceal permit. I know this is possible in NC depending on the agreement between the two states......

I believe but am not absolutely sure that if you have a NC Carry concealed permit you do not need a purchase permit from the Local Sheriff .....

as i stated earlier some of the laws have changed in the last few months in NC....

But then do to the fact that I assume you have a Active Duty ID card which may change something one way or another.....

I have been stationed in eastern NC since the late 70's and retired since the early 90's and have purchased plenty of handguns and have never had a problem obtaining a handful of purchase permits legally.... I have purchased Many long guns at the CLNC annex over the years and pretty much know all the gals at that counter ....... so why does this old retired Marine have to recently provide a valid NC Vehicle registration?????? got me???? when I ask Why???/ Its a new law..... thats good enought for me

So if you don't like our laws try some were else.......

ED'S GUNS Hwy 70 east in the shopping center on the Right just past the Hess Station....... Good people to do business with

tell them to stock up on VARGET these JVille prices are killing me
    It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men....

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That's kind of crazy that you need to even buy a permit. I know out here in Cali, all I have to do is show my Orders and I'm exempt from the Handgun Safety Certificate.(Same thing, different name.)

Also, don't know what the facilities are like on Cherry Point, but out here on Pendleton we can buy weapons under different rules/regs/laws than out in town. I don't recall exactly what they are, as I ended up not buying there, but I looked into it during my last go round.

If neither of these helps you out, you may be stuck waiting till you go on leave next time and can buy one back home and bring it with you. Holidays are coming up, maybe you've got leave coming down the line soon?