Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tiny Nine (small 9x19mm pistols)

Tiny Nine (small 9x19mm pistols)

Howdy, folks.
    I'm in need for a good 9mm for CC. I'd prefer a single-stack (thinner) but double stack is okay too. I want a very small frame (but no derringers). I'd like it to run me no more than 375. My hands are "Medium." It sounds strange but they're not sasquach and they're not tiny and the Marine Corps issues me Medium Gloves. I don't want to buy a junker, nor a Cadillac, just something that goes boom each time.
    What'cha got?
    Yes, I'm a grown man that loves My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Got a problem?

I have a Springfield EMP, but that busts your $375 budget all to hell..... it is not cheap, for sure. But then again, you generally get what you pay for, if you pay attention.........
    "If it looks like a rabbit, and acts like a rabbit, it will be treated as such- prey for all predators.
    If it looks like a rabbit and bites like a rattlesnake, rabbits will be safer, and predators more reticent."

Try the Kel-tec 9 mm P pistols, the single stack PF-9 and the double stack P-11.

The PF-9 is thinner at 0.88" with 7+1, but the P-11 is only slightly thicker at 1.00" and can go to 12 + 1.

Buckshot

I must recommend the Kahr CW9. Very light and thin. Easily carried all day.It just melts into the body...
    Jahwarrior said: I could've given them my ID, but I am right, and obstinate about being so. so, yes,I could've ended it by just cooperating, but that would have hypocritical, lazy, and cowardly.

Aaryq,

I second the suggestion of No3buckshot. The Kel-tec PF-9 is the perfect solution to you dilemma. I have one and have been very pleased. Carried in a DeSantis pocket holster in your front pocket, you will forget it is there. And not only does it hold more rounds than a j-frame, it is easier to shoot and shoot well.

Boarhunter

Springfield XD9SC, 10+1 rounds, very reliable, conceals well with good holster. Can be had between 350/375 to 450, used to new (perhaps less on the top end).
    PF-9 can be a hit or miss on reliability issue, XDs seem to always go bang. A 38/357 wheel gun could also be had in your $$ range.
    Be safe, CraigJS

The Land of Northern Hospitality and Southern Efficiency
    PF-9 from Kel-Tec,

CW-9 From Kahr, if you can find them in your budget.

Another one, which is my favorite handgun and my carry piece is the S&W 3913.

8+1 rounds of 9MM.
    Last edited by tinygnat219; November 25th, 2008 at 02:35 PM.
    Move along move along. Nothing to see here.

What do used Glock 26s go for these days?

I suggest the Kel-tec PF9 or the Kahr CW9 also.

Kahr MK9 or PM9. Won't meet your budget, however.

I think the PF9 (single stack) or P11 (double stack) are the only ones that meet your budget and definition (mostly limited by your low budget). MAYBE a Taurus PT111, but I don't have any experience with that particular model.

I've got big but thin hands (need XL gloves to fit the length of my fingers) and have no problem with either of the Kel Tecs.

Upping the budget brings many more options to the table as others have pointed out (although no one mentioned the Walter PPS...thin but spendy).

+1 on the Kel-Tecs. I have the P11 and it disappears IWB. Very comfortable to wear and shoots well. The trigger is a bit long but plenty of dry-firing will get you used to it.

+1 Keltec

I'll chime if for Keltec.
    Your description and price pretty much limits your choices to.. Keltec.
    The P11 is a proven design and fits my hands about as well as any gun I own.
    The PF9 is lighter and a fairly new design - 2 years old IIRC.
    Taurus PT111 is probably in your price range and worth a look.

Taurus warranty service spotty, Keltec's record is exemplary.

Did you take a look at the Walther PPS? Sure is pricey, but a ver, very good cc pistol, very thin, very reliable, very accurate, very what'cha need!
    Warning; this post may contain text matter not suitable for the weak-minded or immature thinker. Reader's discretion is advised.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The S&W 908 appears to fit your requirements. 8+1 single stack. I have one and would recommend it.

Check out the Firestar M43.

John

Ditto on the Springfield XD Subcompact. I have the 4" barrel service model, and am pretty pleased. I have only heard good things about the subcompact one too. My gun cost $400.00 used, with 3 magazines included. Good luck finding one. You might have to have a dealer friend get you one off of gunbroker or auctionarms. There's not a whole lot of tiny 9's for a good price. Demand for them is up right now.
    Let's all stand together, so we won't have to stand apart later on.

Freedom is worth the price. Count the cost.

Most find CZ's to fit smallish hands well. I've seen the 75 compact and PO-1 just out of your price range at $400. Of course they might have taken a reasonable offer.
    Change you can believe in...Pre1965 US silver coins!
    An unloaded pistol is a paperweight.
    Opportunity knocks..Trouble kicks down the door.

Kel-Tec

Ditto to the positives on the Kel-tec PF9. Very, very small. You'd never even know you're carrying it. Appears very well made.

There have been cautions that during the first 50-100 rounds it may have feed problems. Several sites have commented these issues go away once one learns to hold it very firmly.

I like the HK P7 .... thin and small
    (but won't meet the price specified.)

If you really want to stay on budget, you might also consider a Smith 3913. You should be able to find a used one at your price or less.
    Last edited by WhisperFan; November 25th, 2008 at 01:26 PM.

Kel tec

surprisingly nice shooter too. goes well in your pocket if needed on a hot day with shorts on

The PF9 is so little difference to the P11 and the P11 offers more firepower, I haven't bothered to trade my P11 that I've carried, mostly pocket carry, for the last dozen years for one. I love the thing, 100 percent never fails function, 3.5" at 25 yards off a rest accurate, +P rated, lifetime warranty with among the best customer service in the industry, and fits in a pocket holster with all day comfort. If it ain't broke, I don't fix it. I understand the Kahr is a little smaller, the Rohrbaugh is a lot smaller (but not +P rated), if you wanna spend big dollars. If you are DA trigger phobic, you might want the PF9 for the lighter, shorter trigger. The P11 is perfect for this old revolver shooter, though. I like the heavier trigger for pocket carry and after many thousands of rounds, I'm quite used to it.

Some years ago I traded off a P95 Ruger. Now, it was a good gun, but offered, at the time, only 10 round mags and was only 1/2" at 25 yards more accuate than my Kel Tec. I just could not see keeping a gun that size for carry when the KT could do the job just as well and conceal all day with comfort. So, I traded it off. I have a full size P85 with 15 round mags in a service size in my collection, but it is only about 1/2 to 1" more accurate than the Kel Tec. The P11 is amazing, so much firearm and all day in a pocket comfortable. I've even shot well in IDPA with the thing.

The Kel Tecs are superb weapons for a good price and KT is a superb company.

Kel Tec pistols can be hit or miss on reliability issues. PF-9s are under a recall right now. In all honesty I've never shot a P-11 or a PF-9, but do own and shoot (as a BUG) a P3AT (.380) that has been completely reliable.
    Please all weigh in on how reliable your Kel Tecs have been. KTs customer is first rate on that I completly agree..

For ME, KT yes as a BUG (back up gun) but NO as a primary carry weapon. My opinion only..
    Be safe, CraigJS

The Kel-tec PF-9 is under a recall? Could you give me a link? I know the Ruger little .380 is being recalled, but knew nothing about a Kel-tec recall.

Boarhunter

SR9 Ruger is also under recall. Could be some corn-fusion here? I heard of a recall not long after the PF9 came out, but nothing recently. I could be wrong, of course. It happened once.

My P11, bought in 1996, has only jammed once, when I got ammo mixed up at the range and tried to fire .380ACP in it. DOH! LOL It has fired over 11,000 rounds without a hitch. You want reliability? Hit and miss? I could say that about EVERY firearm out there, none the least would be recent Smith and Wessons! Gimme a break. If there's a problem, the warranty and customer service will fix it. It has a lifetime warranty and KT backs that up.