Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How would you handle this situation? (Anti at job interview)

How would you handle this situation? (Anti at job interview)

I will be graduating as a lab technician at the start of next year, so naturally I am searching for a good job in which to start my career. I’ve put together a well written application and curriculum vitae, in which I mention my hobbies and explain how these activities make me a better choice for the job. I amongst other things mention that:

I am a hunter. Working in an animal testing lab demands that a person can respect and care about the welfare of the animals, while at the same time being mentally prepared to kill them. In my opinion, being a hunter proves that I am capable of just that.

I am a militiaman. Training with the militia, or Home Guard, means that I learn useful skills like first aid and fire fighting, which might come in handy at any given time, especially in a laboratory. Being a militiaman also means that I receive regular combat training, and that I am given a duty weapon to keep at home in case the country is attacked.

I also shoot handguns, which is mentioned in my curriculum vitae under 'other interests', but I didn’t go into detail with that.

Now, last week I was at an interview at a really nice lab, and things were going really smooth between me and the four interviewers, until one of them, an older lady, commented on my application. "I’ve noticed that you have a lot to do with guns, do you keep any of them at home?" she asked, and while I thought that the question was a bit weird I decided not to ruin the situation by getting all defensive and answered "Of course I do, where else would I keep them?". "Ok then, can you tell me what keeps you from using those guns to go on a murderous rampage?" she then asked in a slightly annoyed voice, almost as if she were somehow offended, and the only answer I could summon up was "Nothing at all, except for my good mental health. Can we please move on to something relevant?” I think the other three interviewers really liked me, but I’m still afraid that I might have ruined my chances by cutting the old lady off in such an undiplomatic manner, and as I am invited to several other interviews at labs to which I have sent the same application, it might be wise to prepare a canned response to similar questions.

So, given the situation, how would you disarm an anti before the person ruined your job interview?

You could ask her what keeps her from using her car to go on a murderous rampage... or using her kitchen knives... or...
    Gun control is like fighting drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to buy cars.

Ok then, can you tell me what keeps you from using those guns to go on a murderous rampage?
    My retort would be:
    "What keeps you from using your car to go on a murderous rampage?"

lawson4
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Certified Training Counselor
    NRA RTBAV Regional Counselor

The Land of Northern Hospitality and Southern Efficiency
    I'd suggest you keep stuff like this off of your resume, CV, etc. It's only going to invite snide comments from idiots like this and prevent you from being hired in the future.
    Move along move along. Nothing to see here.

I went through something similar with a Japanese co. Leave it off the resume but feel free to bring it up during the interview after you get a better feel for the interview and how it will be received.

Ok then, can you tell me what keeps you from using those guns to go on a murderous rampage?
    Who wants to work for stupid people?
    No tyrant should ever be allowed to die a natural death.

They allow guns in Scandinavia?

I've never been a big fan of listing irrelevant details on a resume. You are applying for a job, not for a date.

Putting something like that on a resume is asking for trouble - and you found some didn't you?

You can show them what a tough guy you are after they hire you . . . .

Who wants to work for stupid people?
    Standing Wolf my friend - self employed, independently wealthy, retired, or not in a major city would be the only way you'd have good odds of not having to deal with the unwashed.

If he works for any big company, he is going to have to deal . . . .

The same reasons that prevent a police officer from going on a murderous rampage.

If she does not know the answer, she clearly can't be trusted with guns, kitchen knives, or administrative power.

Too much detail. Mentioning hunting as a hobby is fine, 'nuff said.

--wally.
    Your commitment to Freedom and Liberty is measured by your tolerance for others doing things you disapprove.
    NRA Patron Member since Jan 20, 2009.

I went through something similar with a Japanese co.
    On the other hand, my wife applied for an engineering job with a Japanese company. In the interview they asked what she did to relieve tension.

"Well, I like to read." Wrong answer. "I like to take my dog on walks." Wrong answer. "But when I feel extra tense, going to the range and shooting is very relaxing." Right answer. I am not sure whether her having formerly been Japanese had any bearing on the results, but she got the job.
    “It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.”
    — Thomas Sowell

I gather that the home guard doesn't have the same conotation as "militia" does here ( say what you want, "militia" is a very negative word to most Americans). I would leave that on the resumé because your employer needs to know about legitimate military service that might interfere W/ your job. Beyond that leave your personal life off the resumé.

When you list hobbies like that on your resumé you invite questions about them at the interview.

Alternatively they may have thrown that at you to test your diplomacy/ people skills
    It is your dissatisfaction with what IS that is the source of all of your unhappiness. Matthew Scudder

Do not ever put anything gun related on a CV.
    We are in the minority and most people think we're all crazies.

AFS
    'Qui tacet consentit': To remain silent is to consent.

You know there is one important fact to consider here. A job interview isn't just them interviewing you to see if you fit their requirements, it's also about YOU interviewing THEM to see if they fit YOUR requirements.

If they show YOU a marked lack of respect then perhaps you need to consider what that says about that company and it's attitudes towards employees.

I've actually called prospective employers out on the carpet about things like this and ended interviews. I terminated an interview once telling them that we had "a failure to focus on the task at hand (assessing my qualifications) and an apparent disregard for the opinion of others which leads me to believe this is not an organization I would be happy working for".

You should have seen the jaws drop at that table.
    "The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on"

I'd suggest you keep stuff like this off of your resume, CV, etc. It's only going to invite snide comments from idiots like this and prevent you from being hired in the future.
    Ditto this. I used to live and work in MA and that is the rule. The thing is that your private life should be private. I too would love to evangelize about guns, but getting a job and keeping it is a priority.

Don't put hobbies on a resume unless they are directly relevant to the job.

What BTR said.

She got a vagina.. what keeps her from being a prostitute...? no. you don't wanna say that... just avoid gun related details in your CV..
    Swiss gun collector and shooter.. and proud of it !
    Geneva is not about conventions. It's where I live ;)

Did you ever think that a questions like that was put forth to test your reactions to a hostile question? I've been through several oral interviews for promotional tersting and many of the questions are solely to test your reactions under stress.

Avoid gun details; its too highly charged of an issue.
    Also:
    I am a militiaman. Training with the militia, or Home Guard
    I don't know what it's like in your country, but in the USA, this paints you as a nutball to antis right off the bat. It'd be awesome if it was different in your country.
    יזכר לא עד פעם (Remember. Never Again.)

She got a vagina.. what keeps her from being a prostitute
    That's such a good answer that I think if I was ever asked that question, I would almost be willing to throw the job away just to see the interviewer's reaction to it. Almost.
    ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄ ПOНК РОК ▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

I know, it's tempting.. (because when she asks what keeps you from being a criminal and a murderer, it is actually an insult to you ) .... well, it depends on how much you need that job i guess..
    Swiss gun collector and shooter.. and proud of it !
    Geneva is not about conventions. It's where I live ;)

"Ok then, can you tell me what keeps you from using those guns to go on a murderous rampage?"
    "Ma'am, please don't confuse what YOU'D do with guns with what I do with guns."

Seriously, if you're not prepared to kick a little a--, then you should NOT be putting that stuff down on your résumé.

As her question shows, antis are not anti for a reason, they are anti out of FEAR--unreasonable fear. If you think you're going to talk an anti OUT of her gun-fear during a job interview...well then maybe you are crazy.

Just not rampage-crazy.

Best of luck securing your job--with ANOTHER company, AFTER you've "updated" your résumé. (Supposing she hasn't called everyone in the industry to "warn them" about you!)
    in a slightly annoyed voice, almost as if she were somehow offended,
    Of course she was offended--you were challenging her world view: NO ONE (who isn't a cop, soldier, or gov't official) can EVER be trusted with a gun. How would YOU feel if she challenged your most deeply held beliefs?
    "Nothing at all, except for my good mental health.”
    That's not quite true, is it? I mean sure, you're mentally healthy, but not all killers are "mentally ill"--some are just evil.

Why not say, "My good metal health, my morality, my religion (if appropriate) and my upbringing. Are there better safeguards, other than putting either me or my guns in chains, just in case?"

Comedy response option:
    "Getting this job will keep me from running on a murderous rampage."
    יזכר לא עד פעם (Remember. Never Again.)

ZeSpectre: You are exactly right. An interview is about you interviewing the company to see if they are a fit for you as well as them checking you out.

A problem I've been having as far as hospitals go is the people interviewing me are not the people hiring me. The HR department offers me the horrible hourly wage and benefits. My boss has nothing to do with it

~Norinco (nursing student!)
    You can't get into a boxing match with a Norinco 982!

I would def. recommend not putting those things on your resume. It only invites unwanted questions.