Thread: Venue for Face-to-Face Gun Sales?

Venue for Face-to-Face Gun Sales?

I'm posting guns for sale on a local (Dallas-Ft. Worth) gun trading website. I'm uncomfortable (and my wife is opposed to) having guys come by the house to look at a gun. I need to meet them on neutral turf, but the options I can think of raise concerns as well. For example, if we met at a Wal-Mart parking lot, I'd still be sitting in a car with a stranger who could already be armed and I'd be an easy mark.

What do you guys do about venues for sales? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Not sure how many transactions your talking about, but a lot of storage places have mini-offices with a storage unit attached that rent on a month to month basis. If your talking just a few then its not worth it, but if you going to make it into a business then you might want to take a look. I would consider a gun range or gun store if your looking for something free.

http://www.private-mini.com/office.htm
    Last edited by Maddyn99; November 24th, 2008 at 01:16 PM. Reason: added stuff
    At Thermopylae, 1,000,000 Persians lost 20,000 yet failed to disarm 300 Spartans. 80,000,000 lawfully armed Americans will resist even harder.

That we promise. Molōn labe!

best place is local gun range.
    already people walking around with and use to seeing guns. plus lots of armed good guys, just incase......
    "A good plan executed violently today beats a perfect plan executed next week."

Well, the only times I have privately bought guns FTF it has been with friends in his store. However, I have found a few buyers for other friends and they have meet in parking lots with me along as a mediator for the deal.

I would say that if you could have a friend go with you that would be best. Others may have more in depth opinions but I have found this works well.

Jay

Arrange to meet the buyers at midnight in a very remote location. That way they'll be the ones worried about being vulnerable. And when you're walking from your car to his car, make sure you look out into the shadows in a few different spots and nod. Oh, and BTW, you should never go alone and you and your 'backup' should always be armed during these transactions too.
    “As long as we allow an individual right to trump public safety, families are going to lose their loved ones…"
    - Kristin Comer, Executive Director, Washington CeaseFire

I've sold several things FTF. Just meet in a public place at a busy time of day. It's not a big deal.

I'm doing a sale this afternoon in a grocery store parking lot. I'm not too worried about safety. I agree though, Do not sell out of your house. Do not invite strangers who know you have guns, to know where you live.
    NRA Life Member
    1. The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a
    firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for
    traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home.

I have done FTF in a McDonald's parking lot, and in mall parking lots. usually I have emailed the person several times to get a decent feel for who I am dealing with. Never had a hitch.
    Commala-come-ki,
    There's a time to live and one to die.
    With your back against the final wall
    You gotta let the bullets fly.

I meet at the gun club. I've also done one at the police station parking lot -- buyer was the friend of a cop.

Academy parking lot.
    "It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire
    "Well, the Constitution has not yet been pregnant." - Gore Vidal
    "Freedom is terrifying to dependent personalities and their masters." - Standing Wolf

Ranges are good. Gun Shows if there are many in your area (here, this time of year within 60 miles drive there is just about one (or more) every weekend.

Don't settle for odd hours and or remote places. And nothing wrong with bringing a friend to discretely watch over things. Parking lots are good places, especially those of fast food places as there is a good flow of people and it is not all that unusual to see people eating in their cars instead of the restaurant. Pick a meal time span, and have your friend in position with a paper or magazine and apparently blissfully munching away. Heck if you use the fast food lot approach don't be surprised if another "diner" isn't watching you.

The ONLY thing certain in life is DEATH. Live each day to its' FULLEST!

Public
    Well lit
    Lightly trafficked
    Outside (if practical)
    Day time (if practical)

Not near a school, hospital or bar.

If you want to do by a police station, ASK first.....
    "Remember children, once we have pulled the pin from Mr. Grenade, Mr Grenade is no longer our friend"

Just 'cause I live here does not make me a septic, you muppet !

The range sounds good to me.
    3KB

"When confronted by a hungry wolf, it is unwise to goad the beast... But it is equally unwise to imagine the snarling animal a friend and offer your hand..." - Cicero

I've bought and sold through private sale 3 guns. once in a mall parking lot, once at a ski resort and once in the parking lot of a Cabela's. none were a problem. in fact, they were all quite pleasant experiences. especially the Cabela's meet. i took the cash that i got from the gun and walked right into the store and bought a new gun.

Bobby
    They're, Their, and There. It's NOT that hard.

I know people who've used a police department parking lot. I'm not entirely sure if the seller let the PD know such a transaction was going to take place.

For the gun I bought recently from another THR member (AirPower -- nice, smooth transaction, btw), we met at a restaurant parking lot, in the afternoon. Seemed like a decent place for it.

timothy

who matters more than where.

Bought one from an FBI agent in his office recently. Didn't know he was an agent until we got off the elevator in his building. Nice guy and a beautiful Winchester .44 carbine!

Iv'e got your solution, sell all your guns to me, cheap. You can come to my home so you feel more secure.

I have done a few transactions in the area face to face in a public place and have not felt consternation. (you do have a CHL right?)
    Scott

Click Here!
    I am sorely in need of a witty sig.

Parking lots of Wal-Mart, gas stations, McDonalds, police stations, car dealerships, shooting ranges, the Masonic Lodge: anywhere well-lit and highly traveled. I agree with the previous posting that with whom is more important than where.

If you are nervous, do it out front of the police department. Bring a friend. But then, if something is making you nervous, maybe you should be finding someone else to do business with.