Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jogger Finds Gun Swat Team Cop Forgot After Stand Off

Jogger Finds Gun Swat Team Cop Forgot After Stand Off

In case somebody hasn't already posted this:

http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=227333

Good thing it wasn't on my front lawn, I would've assumed it was an early Christmas present from jolly old St. Nick
    "All European cows are registered Europe-wide, so why not guns, if it can save lives? Civil liberties can be sacrificed if we can prevent people from being killed." -member of the European Parliament
    <<<- If that doesn't scare you, nothing will.

Good thing it wasn't on my front lawn, I would've assumed it was an early Christmas present from jolly old St. Nick

Me too

Me three.

And if the cops came calling, I ask them to provide proof of ownership....

Me three.

And if the cops came calling, I ask them to provide proof of ownership....
    Then they would ask for your NFA paperwork

I'm assuming it was an MP5 or something of the like, did not watch the video.
    Matt-J2: Arson is always the answer!

I'd disassemble it and stuff it in my camelbak. Yet another NFA item falls victim to boating accident.

It was an M4 carbine apparently.

More seriously though, they would have paperwork for the gun and if it ever popped up again, running the serial would reveal the gun was a lost/stolen weapon that had earlier been transferred to the swat team. You would be in deep trouble if the police ever came across the weapon or uncovered it as part of a legal search of your premises. That being said, when was the last time the police ran the serials on your weapons at the range? Even the NFA ones? LEOs around here are used to people running around with machine guns and suppressors.

Something similar happened in Co Springs. Apparently someone driving behind a cop car saw an M-16 ( yes I meant an M-16) bounce out of the trunk. They snatched it up got to play W/ it for 2 years then got popped. They're still in prison.

If it was me the weapon would disappear until or unless there really was a full scale revolt
    It is your dissatisfaction with what IS that is the source of all of your unhappiness. Matthew Scudder

They snatched it up got to play W/ it for 2 years then got popped. They're still in prison.
    No fair my mother always said Finders Keepers . . .
    lol

I saw this on TV, pretty amazing. It's not one of those things you have any excuse for just forgetting.

Then they would ask for your NFA paperwork
    Then you reply that even a police agency can't lawfully possess NFA weapons without following the NFA requirements, and you call BATFE to come take it. The locals can petition BATFE to get it back.

Strip it and ditch the lower with SN#. get a new striped lower and LPK and viola good to go.
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Then you reply that even a police agency can't lawfully possess NFA weapons without following the NFA requirements, and you call BATFE to come take it. The locals can petition BATFE to get it back.
    If you're gonna take that route, you better call the BATF first and report that you found a machinegun and would they please come dispose of it. If you wait for the cops to show up for it and ask for their paperwork, *somehow* you will end up being the badguy instead of them and you may never get out of prison.

That is, if they don't shoot you first or burn your house down.

(I'm kind of serious, even though I'm writing in hyperbole)
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" —Kenny Rogers

Hrmmm, and here I thought this was the HIGH road.
    "The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on"

ZeSpectre - I agree.

Why did the reporter assume that a child finding it would be deadly? Anything to sell an ad, I guess.

IMO, the punishment for the person who lost it should be to buy the finder either the civilian equivalent or a like-priced gun of his choice.

While people should do the right thing because its right, rewarding right actions encourage further right actions.
    3KB

"When confronted by a hungry wolf, it is unwise to goad the beast... But it is equally unwise to imagine the snarling animal a friend and offer your hand..." - Cicero

There's a difference between theft and a legitimate act of war.

I don't see anything wrong W/ liberating a weapon from the police state
    It is your dissatisfaction with what IS that is the source of all of your unhappiness. Matthew Scudder

I don't see anything wrong W/ liberating a weapon from the police state
    talk is cheap

In this case it is also irresponsible.
    Charter member PWU (Pud Whackers Unanimous!)

talk is cheap
    Oh the irony, CD I don't see you as actually wanting to participate in the discussion as much as stir the pot and prove that of the 62,000 some odd members here only you are the real deal while the rest of us are merely internet toughguys. As such, I'm really not interested in getting in to a pissing contest W/ you. However, I would like to point out that I was taught in a psych class that people are most offended by faults in others that they see in themselves.

What does that say about you and the internet toughguys?
    Last edited by Treo; November 24th, 2008 at 08:56 PM. Reason: spelling

Touchę, Treo.

All the High-Road vitrol aside, this incident is a costly mistake for the officer and embarrassing for the department. I understand how the reporter could make a big deal about the kids; I don't leave my loaded weapons around for untrained kids to find and I'm sure that a 6-year old picking this up, pointing it at a younger brother or sister, and playing "army" could have been a tragedy depending on the weapon's readiness condition.
    "In survival, you seize the high ground and set up a machine gun nest." Hardware on THR.us 1/7/10

i am amazed always that the evil government continues to oppress with so many heroes of the revolution out there manning the barricades. when i hear the revolutionary noise from a kid its funny funnier still when it comes from someone of an age where getting a harley and a 19 year old mistress are the usual forms of rebellion

getting a harley and a 19 year old mistress are the usual forms of rebellion
    Am I too old for that??
    Gettin' Old Ain't For Sissies!
    - Bette Davis -

This is pretty high on the "oops" scale -- I think the only thing saving him from serious consequences is that no civilian used the rifle.
    What disciplinary action do you think the officer will face?

Am I too old for that??

never!! hope springs eternal in us all

Instead of a Harley, I got a horse

Not sure how to sneak the 19 yo into the house, though ...
    Governments don't live together. People live together.

Oh my, the guy who forgot that thing is probably in very deep s..., how can you actually forget such a thing at the point that it's a jogger who reminds it to you.
    Warning; this post may contain text matter not suitable for the weak-minded or immature thinker. Reader's discretion is advised.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ