Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you going to blow it for your kids?

Are you going to blow it for your kids?

Back when full auto firearms were legal, abundant and cheap my dad wasted his money, he had lots, on trivial stuff. When they were about to be regulated into oblivion he didn't purchase any. Now, I can only get them by paying outrageous prices for old stock.

Now, I'm faced with the potential for a ban on EBR's. If it becomes a reality, my kids may never have the opportunity to purchase one. They are just kids now so they just can't do it.

So am I crazy for making some financial sacrifices to put away some of these items for my kids and potential future grandkids?

Are any of you making purchases with this mindset?

I'm not giving up the fight to keep these legal and accessible. I'm just thinking about insurance for the future.

I think about it often and buy as I can afford.
    Send lawyers, guns, and money . . .

Why not send some money to the NRA, GOA & other gun rights groups to help fight to keep our rights?

And what exactly will the NRA do? Throw NFA guns under the bus again, or maybe toss EBRs down there too.
    Lets give Tennessee the best gun laws in the country!
    http://www.tfaonline.org/index.php
    http://www.tfaonline.org/forum
    NRA - Benefactor, TFA - Life, GOA - Life

And what exactly will the NRA do? Throw NFA guns under the bus again, or maybe toss EBRs down there too.
    The NRA has its share of faults, but where do you think your gun rights would be today without the NRA? Ponder that for a bit.
    TFL Alumnus # 6237
    Gun control should just be about hitting your target.

The NRA was never meant to be an activist organization. Their mandate was to improve shooters. Their focus was safety, marksmanship and training.

The NRA-ILA wasn't formed until the 1970's, and they have since done a great deal to help keep our rights intact. They have the visibility and resources to do more than any of the grassroots organizations can.

We withhold our support of them at our own peril.
    "I believe in .44 Special the way some folks believe in Elvis." --Michael Bane

And what exactly will the NRA do? Throw NFA guns under the bus again, or maybe toss EBRs down there too

Your right don't support the NRA, let the Brady bunch be the only Gun Lobby group. Get a clue.

I understand the frustration with you and other speak of, but the NRA is the one group that has the numbers to help protect gun rights.

There are 80 million gun owners & only 4-5 million NRA members. I think any gun owners who is not also an NRA menber is foolish.

Think of it this way, 55 +/- Million people voted for EACH side in the presidential election.

What do you think would happen IF EVERY GUN OWNER (all 80 million) where NRA members and voted NRA & Gun Rights first?

Do you really think any type of ban would even be on the table.

If membership would double to 8-10 million they would have a much larger influence in DC.

Time to get on the Bus and help with the fight.

Aslo, Blame HUGHS for the NFA BS, not the NRA.

Now maybe Regan should not have signed the bill, but that is another story.

NRA is the best thing we have hands down but I'm still putting some guns away for later if you get what I mean.
    Some day my children will have a lot of guns and that will bring a smile to my face.

OK, getting this thread Back On Track.....

Yes, I have bought guns with the intent of passing them to my kids. I got two stripped AR lowers on Election day. Those along with ones I already had, mean that each of my children will have at least one EBR (assuming they will be transferable by that time).
    Eloi-- Tastes Like Chicken

So am I crazy for making some financial sacrifices to put away some of these items for my kids and potential future grandkids?
    Crazy... no sir.
    Thinking ahead... absolutely.

Quote of G.I. Joe
    Knowing's half the battle.

Me, giving financial advice? Be afraid, be very afraid...

With that warning--I think everything from full ARs to bare receivers are "blipped" up in price right now, and Obama is NOT going to ban "AWs"...for a couple years.

So, with everyone making more ARs to meet the demand, wait. Just like with oil, the price will start to sag as the "be prepared" types have tapped out their bank accounts (or their wives' patience), so the demand drops while the supply begins to rise again.

So look for a dip in prices about 18 months out...and then buy big. BOO-YAH!

Just like any investing--if you find a stock that's gonna take off, don't buy when it's high, buy when it's low.

If things don't work out as I said, well, what kinda idiot takes financial advice from some dope on the internet, anyway!

Yep, three guns, three kids. We will shoot them now; we hope to shoot them tomorrow, next week, next...

Continuing to purchase ammo and supplies in excess of current needs, just in case...

Been an NRA member nearly 30 years; hope to continue until I die. Will be gifting both NRA Memberships and Range Memberships as birthday presents.

Continuing to express my 'vision' to elected officials at all levels via all possible methods.

buying all I can............need another job!
    "Banning guns is an idea whose time has come."
    --U.S. Sen. Joseph Biden Associated Press 11/18/93

Thank you for your Suport, the Warrior Jeep Raised $175,000!

Yes: recently purchased my last EBR. One for each of the kids.
    Jahwarrior said: I could've given them my ID, but I am right, and obstinate about being so. so, yes,I could've ended it by just cooperating, but that would have hypocritical, lazy, and cowardly.

Thinking the same way here.

And contributing to the NRA.

Not mutually exclusive.

I also think we have some time; he has to unravel the financial mess first BUT he will get to something within two years.

I thought about it the other way

BO seemingly has more of a thing for high cap and pistols since he wants the AWB and no CCW. So I decided to go with the FNP 45, high cap and .45 power, can't beat it. going to pick up mine today. I figure he'll get to the EBR's but they are too high priced for me now anyhow so I gotta support my gun manufacturers, but within my means. My twin boys will have a few precision rifles and plenty to choose from in pistols though, when they grow up.

Hey Dad should I wear this 1911 with these hightops? Or the SW39 with the loafers and shorts?

Neither of my sons continued to shoot past their teens (except during the eldest's Army stint). So my "collection" of guns will just be added to the pile of guitars, amps, slot cars, and stuff which they'll split and sell when I'm gone. It's just stuff. My mother's violin and my favorite guitar will be passed on to youngest son though (as he is the musician of the two).
    And in that light, a Les Paul or Rickenbacker is probably a better investment for their future than another AK.

What if the NRA does throw EBR under the bus and declare we dont need them, and that no honest person should have one and goes along lock step with the Brady Bunch?

Does it still deserve my unquestioning support and money, because lately it seems they dont give a damn about anything but shotguns, and bolt actions.

Neither of my sons continued to shoot past their teens (except during the eldest's Army stint). So my "collection" of guns will just be added to the pile of guitars, amps, slot cars, and stuff which they'll split and sell when I'm gone. It's just stuff. My mother's violin and my favorite guitar will be passed on to youngest son though (as he is the musician of the two).
    And in that light, a Les Paul or Rickenbacker is probably a better investment for their future than another AK.
    Interesting. I agree that a good Martn or Les Paul would appreciate better than any AK but to some people guns are not "just stuff". Others would say that your gitar' is not just stuff either. Things represent a value, they are not the value in of itself.

EBR - What is an "EBR"

I know most of you love to show off your tacticool knowledge by using tons of abbreviations but there are just a coulpe of us oldtimers out there who have no idea what some of them stand for.
    The first poster in a thread should explain what each one stands for.

example : PEYA - Please explain your abbreviation
    To all gun/shooting enthusiasts :
    "Support the ENTIRE Bill of Rights, not just the 2nd Amendment, every chance you get. If one amendment gets trounced on then the others will soon follow.

I know most of you love to show off your tacticool knowledge by using tons of abbreviations but there are just a coulpe of us oldtimers out there who have no idea what some of them stand for.
    The first poster in a thread should explain what each one stands for.

example : PEYA - Please explain your abbreviation
    Sorry there Moondog. EBR = "Evil Black Rifle"

It's a misnomer but it's catchy.

but to some people guns are not "just stuff". Others would say that your gitar' is not just stuff either. Things represent a value, they are not the value in of itself.
    Agreed. I am simply offering an alternate viewpoint; my guns ARE viewed by my 2 sons and my 2 grandsons as "just stuff". Dad's toys...nothing more. The value they will place on them when I am gone will most likely be strictly monetary. Same for the guitars, amps, slot cars, etc. Most will be sold, not used nor kept.
    I remember when my siblings and I split up my mom's "stuff". The only 3 things I wanted were her old violin, a .36 percussion rifle which I built for her back in 1979, and a cabinet which had been my grandmother's. My sisters fought like wildcats over everything of "value"....and sold most of "their share of stuff" on eBay within 6 months! Me? I have an old violin, a .36 rifle, and a cabinet....I'll pass those on when I go.

Since Heller, I’ve been a lot less concerned about maintaining the “arsenal of freedom.” I think we’ve seen the high-water mark of gun control for the time being. A new federal ban on “assault weapons,” for example, would be a major blunder for the prohibitionists.

However, with my only daughter in mind, perhaps I should give more consideration to small-bore rifles.

~G. Fink
    “Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.”

Thanks for the smile. I have been thinking about, and preparing, for the same.