Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Marine Makes Insurgents Pay the Price

Marine Makes Insurgents Pay the Price

[U.S. Military -- able to hold their heads up with the finest soldiers/warriors from any time]

FARAH PROVINCE, Afghanistan — In the city of Shewan, approximately 250 insurgents ambushed 30 Marines and paid a heavy price for it.

Shewan has historically been a safe haven for insurgents, who used to plan and stage attacks against Coalition Forces in the Bala Baluk district.

The city is home to several major insurgent leaders. Reports indicate that more than 250 full time fighters reside in the city and in the surrounding villages.

Shewan had been a thorn in the side of Task Force 2d Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment, Special Purpose Marine Air Ground Task Force Afghanistan throughout the Marines’ deployment here in support of Operation Enduring Freedom, because it controls an important supply route into the Bala Baluk district. Opening the route was key to continuing combat operations in the area.

“The day started out with a 10-kilometer patrol with elements mounted and dismounted, so by the time we got to Shewan, we were pretty beat,” said a designated marksman who requested to remain unidentified. “Our vehicles came under a barrage of enemy RPGs (rocket propelled grenades) and machine gun fire. One of our ‘humvees’ was disabled from RPG fire, and the Marines inside dismounted and laid down suppression fire so they could evacuate a Marine who was knocked unconscious from the blast.”

The vicious attack that left the humvee destroyed and several of the Marines pinned down in the kill zone sparked an intense eight-hour battle as the platoon desperately fought to recover their comrades. After recovering the Marines trapped in the kill zone, another platoon sergeant personally led numerous attacks on enemy fortified positions while the platoon fought house to house and trench to trench in order to clear through the enemy ambush site.

“The biggest thing to take from that day is what Marines can accomplish when they’re given the opportunity to fight,” the sniper said. “A small group of Marines met a numerically superior force and embarrassed them in their own backyard. The insurgents told the townspeople that they were stronger than the Americans, and that day we showed them they were wrong.”

During the battle, the designated marksman single handedly thwarted a company-sized enemy RPG and machinegun ambush by reportedly killing 20 enemy fighters with his devastatingly accurate precision fire. He selflessly exposed himself time and again to intense enemy fire during a critical point in the eight-hour battle for Shewan in order to kill any enemy combatants who attempted to engage or maneuver on the Marines in the kill zone. What made his actions even more impressive was the fact that he didn’t miss any shots, despite the enemies’ rounds impacting within a foot of his fighting position.

“I was in my own little world,” the young corporal said. “I wasn’t even aware of a lot of the rounds impacting near my position, because I was concentrating so hard on making sure my rounds were on target.”

After calling for close-air support, the small group of Marines pushed forward and broke the enemies’ spirit as many of them dropped their weapons and fled the battlefield. At the end of the battle, the Marines had reduced an enemy stronghold, killed more than 50 insurgents and wounded several more.

“I didn’t realize how many bad guys there were until we had broken through the enemies’ lines and forced them to retreat. It was roughly 250 insurgents against 30 of us,” the corporal said. “It was a good day for the Marine Corps. We killed a lot of bad guys, and none of our guys were seriously injured.”

http://www.military.com/news/article...the-price.html

They're not so-called "insurgents." They're terrorists.
    No tyrant should ever be allowed to die a natural death.

Carlos Hathcock would probably be proud of this fella. Semper Fi !
    Let's all stand together, so we won't have to stand apart later on.

Freedom is worth the price. Count the cost.

What made his actions even more impressive was the fact that he didn’t miss any shots, despite the enemies’ rounds impacting within a foot of his fighting position.
    I consider myself (humbly) a very impressive guy. But I don't think I could do this.

I am awed by our men and women in uniform, and by this corporal in particular.

Thanks.

Good day to be an American, hearing stories like these. An even better day to be an American warrior.
    NRA Life Member, October 2009.
    SAF Defender Club Member, January 2011.
    NRA Endowment Member, January 2011.

NO Marines were lost? Right on!

I love reading stuff like this, no matter how I might feel about war.

This is the kind of stuff I wish our forces could do more of; just utterly destroying the enemy. It's what we do best.
    יזכר לא עד פעם (Remember. Never Again.)

Talking

The Marines were not, as one might think, out numbered. They were just in a target rich environment. The Lean Mean Green Machine strikes again!

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines; Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a 2nd hand opinion." - Author Unknown

"Some people have a problem in that they live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world. The Marines, you see, don't have that problem." - Ronald Reagan

"The Marines I have seen around the world, have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps". - Eleanor Roosevelt

Semper Fi,Corporal.
    You make us proud.
    My Marine brother and I talked today about the incident.
    Retired since the Sixty's ,he still reminds me, I mistakenly joined the Army.
    No regrets,but great admiration for the continuing exploits of our fantastic Marines!
    This is a Naval Cross or MOH exploit.

Hmpff...

Army woulda just called in air support, watched the show, and then a ride back home, for hot chow and cold brews...
    Resume available upon request.
    Have good references.
    Can pass any number of drug screens.

Hmpff...

Army woulda just called in air support, watched the show, and then a ride back home, for hot chow and cold brews...
    Oh,bogie,you make me feel so pedestrian!

They're not so-called "insurgents." They're terrorists.
    The Israeli's hate when the media calls the Palestinian Terrorists 'Freedom Fighters'.

Maybe one day the U.S politicians will let the brave soldiers get 'er done and bring 'em home. The only reason these guys were ambushed in the first place is because they are told part of their mission is to build trust with the locals. What they should be doing is coming in covert and doing what Marines do best. Politics, and politicians have been getting in the way of fighting man for a long long time.

Glad no one was hurt seriously.

Though 50's not a bad haul for the day, it's too bad the number of ememy dead wasn't a lot higher.

Wonderful that none of ours were seriously wounded.
    Too many people {trade} rights {for} morality. I am certain that everyone here wants to live in a moral society. But, if you are going to live in a free society, you have to be willing to let people corrupt themselves. -- paraphrased from Sheik Yerbouti

This Marine better get, at the very least, a Bronze Star with V. No missed shots, and he stopped a large, heavily armed force that surely would've inflicted much more damage on the Marines.

OORAH!! Good job Marine!
    "Justice is the one thing you should always find."-Toby Keith & Willie Nelson Beer for my Horses
    " The old stuff always works and always will." - Andreu Swasey, athletic trainer

the designated marksman single handedly thwarted a company-sized enemy RPG and machinegun ambush by reportedly killing 20 enemy fighters with his devastatingly accurate precision fire.
    Where did I hear that the most dangerous weapon in the world is a Marine with a rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by harmonic View Post
    Where did I hear that the most dangerous weapon in the world is a Marine with a rifle?
    Full Metal Jacket! Gun range instruction scene

This seems fitting as well:

“It was a good day for the Marine Corps. We killed a lot of bad guys, and none of our guys were seriously injured.”
    "God has a hard on for Marines, because we kill everything we see. He plays His games, we play ours. To show our appreciation for so much power, we keep heaven packed with fresh souls." Sargent Hartman (Full Metal Jacket)

Great story. Way to go Marines.

"War Dogs"

"Ready for all, yielding to none"
    It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men....

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I heard this quote the other day and it just hit me in a soft spot. Coming from Mother Teresa, it fits the American Soldier to a "T".

"We, the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have now done so much for so long with so little, we are now capable of doing anything with nothing." - Mother Teresa.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

"Except for ending slavery, Fascism, Nazism, and Communism, war has never solved anything."

Good job and God Bless!
    NRA life member, Support Our Troops,
    Pointman Ministries Member
    MMCDC Member

Ya done Chesty Puller proud boys ya done 'im proud. Semper Fi. This story warms the cockels of my heart!!!
    Joe

"Never be the third man on the match."
    "Remembering LWIII"

Now that's a motivated Devil Dog!
    Semper Fi!

How did that line in FMJ go? "The most dangerous thing in the world is a Marine and his rifle."

I know that this Marine had a .308 Caliber weapon with nice optics, BUT our awesome marksmanship training had to play a part in this. The AF and Army guys I work with just can't understand why we fire all the way back on the 500 yd. line using M16A2's with iron sights. From now on, I'll simply refer them to this article.

"Support our Warriors. Especially our snipers."

In this case, a "sniper lite". OUTSTANDING job, Marine! Semper Fi...from this ole Air Force guy.
    NRA Patron Member - Rides: '06 FLHTP Shoots: Colt Ser 70/Colt 6520 Carries: Colt Defender Drinks: Buffalo Trace Status: Still married to my ex-girlfriend

“I was in my own little world,” the young corporal said. “I wasn’t even aware of a lot of the rounds impacting near my position, because I was concentrating so hard on making sure my rounds were on target.”
    A mere corporal, eh? I expect that will be remedied soon.
    "It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire
    "Well, the Constitution has not yet been pregnant." - Gore Vidal
    "Freedom is terrifying to dependent personalities and their masters." - Standing Wolf

good read ! keep up the work Marines !
    Swiss gun collector and shooter.. and proud of it !
    Geneva is not about conventions. It's where I live ;)