Thread: Second Amendment Recognition Act - South Carolina

Second Amendment Recognition Act - South Carolina

I don't live there, but I thought this was pretty cool. Its not often you see the govt easing up on any taxes much less something as polarizing as guns. Good for you South Carolina.

Columbia, SC—Most people are probably unaware of it, but on the Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving, handguns, rifles and shotguns will be sales tax free in South Carolina. State lawmakers passed a bill in June that includes the sales tax holiday on firearms. They called it the Second Amendment Recognition Act.

Rep. Mike Pitts, R-Greenwood, was the sponsor of the original bill. He said he got the idea after talking to the owners of a hunting outfitters shop in Clinton about the late summer sales tax holiday for back-to-school supplies and clothing. The store owners said they could use the stimulus, too. “It was to help dealers,” Rep. Pitts says. “Another point was to bring recognition to the 2nd amendment.”
    Local Story and Video

Dunno what Im doing wrong but the link wont work right. Ok got it. Doh !!
    Last edited by Maddyn99; November 25th, 2008 at 11:14 AM. Reason: link broke
    At Thermopylae, 1,000,000 Persians lost 20,000 yet failed to disarm 300 Spartans. 80,000,000 lawfully armed Americans will resist even harder.

That we promise. Molōn labe!

Try T H I S

I'm embarassed and outraged...

...that Texas didn't do it first.
    יזכר לא עד פעם (Remember. Never Again.)

I'm embarassed and outraged...

...that Texas didn't do it first.
    Agreed. Sadly we already have a tax free weekend every year. Its supposed to be only for children and school type supplies but it covers damn near anything from clothing to backpacks to computers. Lets just throw in a guns and ammo rider to the bill
    At Thermopylae, 1,000,000 Persians lost 20,000 yet failed to disarm 300 Spartans. 80,000,000 lawfully armed Americans will resist even harder.

That we promise. Molōn labe!

If i were in a state with such a holiday, and was about to buy a gun, I'd probably take advantage of this.

But does no one share my belief that taxes should be long-term predictable, applied uniformly, and *not* designed to benefit any particular special interest?

I am especially wary of taxes that treat guns differently -- makes me think of Daniel Webster's assertion that the power to tax is the power to destroy.

A tax *cut* for guns is nice for the buyer during that holiday, but if taxes are used to micromanage, imagine the opposite sort of tax holiday, or rather long-term tax policy. (It might take the form of a "Victims of Gun Violence surcharge" or similar twaddle.)

timothy

Good politics !!!

However, if the government (any level) is serious about reducing taxes then they need to quit spending and lower the tax rates.

The ONLY thing certain in life is DEATH. Live each day to its' FULLEST!

Taxing anything required to exercise one's rights is tyranny. Did we not fight a revolution over having our newspapers taxed and approved by the government? Allowing the government to tax and regulate goods that are required to exercise a right is the same as giving up the right. The government placed a $200 "tax" on $3 suppressors. Doesn't that sound like a ban to you? There was a time in this country when one had to pay a tax to vote incompetent politicians out of office. Said tax was used to prevent poor black people from voting. Taxation has a long tradition of being the means through which the government robs us of our liberties.

No firearms, ammunition, or accessories should EVER be taxed.

No newspaper, television, cable/satellite service, cell phone service, internet service, book, magazine, pamphlet, pen, pencil, typewriter, word processor, or ream of paper should EVER be taxed.

Anything else is a recipe for tyranny.
    "It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire
    "Well, the Constitution has not yet been pregnant." - Gore Vidal
    "Freedom is terrifying to dependent personalities and their masters." - Standing Wolf