Thread: Politics of Fundraising Shoot for Children's Hospital

Politics of Fundraising Shoot for Children's Hospital

Politics of Fundraising Shoot for Children's Hospital

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My wife and I have formed a Foundation in memory of our daughter (www.briannashope.org), planning a major Sporting Clays event and Murder Mystery Dinners to raise money for cystic fibrosis and the Children's Hospital here in Alaska. We were up against a deadline to get an ad in for the Feb issue of Sporting Clays magazine, forwarded the ad copy to the Hospital. They were HORRIFIED that there was an image of an unfired 12ga shell near their logo. They didn't mind the picture of our daughter shooting her Rossi standing in a pile of spent shells. Somehow they made the connection that the picture of the shell would cause readers to envision mutilated children shot by guns...they wanted us to remove the shotgun shell.

We removed their logo.

We still would like to help fund the Adolescent/Young Adult wing of the new Children's Hospital Tower, now in the planning stages. It is doubtful that the wing will exist without our contribution. We need suggestions for dealing with anti-gun, anti-shooting Hospital Bureaucrats. The Head of Children's would like to open a dialog between these two groups..."creating the possibility for conversation between people who donít often talk about their views about guns and shooting. That can only be healthy for the long term. Creating the opportunity for respectful dialogue could be a good outcome."

So...where do I start? How do we accomplish this without angry debate (without pointing out what whinny, wussy, warped, weenies they are?)

I invited the Head of Children's to come out to the shooting club and spend an evening with us. No response yet, and I would be surprised if he agreed.

Help!

First, What you are doing is a wonderful tribute to your daughter. I wish you the best with your efforts.

I'm thinking I might make it very public that the head of the Childrens Hospital is Anti-gun and seemingly opposed to the shooting sports.
    How would that play in Alaska?
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Just because certain political factions came up with the idea of associating firearms ownership with "Sportsmen" it doesn't mean they are the only ones who can use that image. I understand that we want firearm ownership to be as common as car ownership, but not everyone is going to immediately see our point. Maybe keep the image of your daughter and get rid of the shell for now? You can always donate to another hospital (unless thats entirely out of the question of course) that would be more receptive. I'm sorry to hear of your daughters loss, do you have a website or paypal account people can send donations to?
    I'm such an Operator that Gecko45 has a poster of me on his wall.

Mike, the website is www.briannashope.org. The website is still being developed, so try to check back again in January. The fundraiser we had in November was a HUGE success, so we have high hopes for the success of the shoot and dinner in May as well.

If you have ever thought about a trip to Alaska, this would be the time for it - we guarrantee a good time! We will be adding links to tours, guides, flightseeing, fishing, etc. with discounts for participants in our shoot.

Children's Hospital, located in Anchorage, is THE Children's Hospital in Alaska. We definately want to support them: They are the only game in town, and the best as well, with the finest facilities for kids of all ages.

We don't have a PayPal account, but there is a link on our website with information on how you can contribute.

Thank you!

Great work!

Personally I think a well written letter to the local newspaper would be good. Some good public shame and a deluge of letters from people as disappointed as I am that someone would let their politics interfere with helping sick children should be enough to quiet them down.
    Every social movement (*snip*) that tries to break the bonds of mindless convention and tradition and that defies established privilege gets accused of being rude and worse, much worse, and there are always weak apologists for the status quo who use that pathetic etiquette excuse to try and silence the revolutionaries. Successful revolutionaries ignore the admonitions about which fork to use for their salad because they care only to grab the steak knife as they launch themselves over the table. -- Richard Dawkins

Thumbs up Success!!!

You will all be pleased to hear how things developed in the past 24 hours.

I called the owner of the shotgun club, who gave me at least a dozen names (this off the top of her head, as she was not in her office at the time) of Physicians and Nurses that are members of our Club, most of whom practice at Children's. I emailed the Administrator and gave him this list, along with a pamphlet (in pdf ) from NSSF geared to non-shooters and anti-gunners forwarded to me by a member of the Upper Susitna Shooter's Association. I was very respectful, and thanked him for the opportunity to open a dialog.

When I spoke to him later on the phone, he was completely supportive of our event, and appreciated the information I had sent. He personally has not had anything to do with the shooting community, and has only seen the negative, criminal side of shooting. I am hoping over the next few months to help him see the positive side.

I think that these types of scenarios are much more common than many shooters are aware of. I apologize for my earlier insulting remarks in my opening thread remarks. I am beginning to see that there are practical, positive and constructive ways to educate and illuminate even the most closed minds, even those who have only had negative experiences by which to draw from. It is up to us, as a community, to enlighten and educate in a positive way, stressing the sheer enjoyment of shooting sports, not to mention the responsibility to excercise the Right to bear arms and defend ourselves and our "castle."

One of the things I told the Administrator was that a gun is a tool, just as a knife, a screwdriver, or a car, is a tool. A person can be murdered or injured with a bowling ball - that does not make bowling balls "evil." I'd like to know what the statistics are for children killed by cars (struck by, in accidents, etc.) and what the ratio is of children killed by firearms. I told him it was probably in the millions and millions, yet no one ever considered making cars illegal to own or drive.

This entire episode taught us something else: We need to be better informed. We need to be more involved. We all need to join NRA, whether we "like" them or not, to give us a strong voice in the coming months. Support your local gun shops, gun clubs, shooting ranges as frequently as possible. Support your local shooting organizations. And above all, be that VOICE for freedom.

"EDUCATE, ENLIGHTEN, AND EXPERIENCE" - maybe this will be my goal for 2009!

Death Statistics and the AAPA

Reddog,
    First of all I thank you for your efforts on behalf of the children of Alaska. It is very encouraging to me to hear that things have turned out favorably for you. If you are not already aware, the official position of the American Academy of Pediatrics on firearms advocates a total ban on handguns, assault weapons and "consumer protection initiatives" like "smart guns" and other measures. Their official statement can be read here: http://aappolicy.aappublications.org...;105/4/888.pdf

In the course of my ongoing medical training I have both inadvertently and intentionally run afoul of this position several times. It is encouraging to see that your particular peck of pediatricians are a might bit more reasonable than those I have encountered here in Ann Arbor.

Lastly if you are interested in comparing death rates the CDC website provides complete searchable data up to 2005. That link can be found here:
    http://webapp.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/mortrate10_sy.html

Firearm deaths in children <1-18
    unintentional: 154
    Homicide: 1,407
    Suicide: 600
    Undetermined intent: 33
    Justifiable Homicide: 12
    combined firearm deaths:2,206

Combined Motor vehicle deaths in children <1-18
    All deaths: 5,870

Ratio MVD/FRD= 5,870/2,206=2.661

FBI crime data for the same year shows different statistics (they rely on LE reporting data and score some murders as assaults) but one of the most interesting is Juvenile Gang killings by firearms: 711,

The FBI does not list murders committed in the process of committing another felony by age. I would suspect that more than a few firearms deaths of those 18 and under could be accounted for if statistics for under 18 firearms homicides by assault to murder (scored as aggravated assault) or burglary/ robbery were available.

For your continued amusement
    FBI crime Data 2005:
    http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/05cius/

Now go forth and crunch numbers!

DocMustang

Nice! Glad to hear that. I'm sure a hospital administrator would also be aware that a Scalpel is a very sharp object that only has one purpose, to slice people open, but that doesn't necessarily mean its always going to be used by criminals to cut someone, does it? (On the other hand the amount of deaths caused by physican's making mistakes is much higher than gun violence, but I digress). Surely a person involved with the medical profession would see a logical argument rather than one based on hearsay (I would hope so at least). http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr56/nvsr56_10.pdf the relevant information is on page 78 (its the breakdowns)

Firearm............ (*U01.4,W32–W34,X72–X74,X93–X95,Y22–Y24,Y35.0) 30,694 10.4 10.2
    Unintentional................................(W32–W34) 789 0.3 0.3
    Suicide................................... (X72–X74) 17,002 5.7 5.7
    Homicide..............................(*U01.4,X93–X95) 12,352 4.2 4.2
    Undetermined............................... (Y22–Y24) 221 0.1 0.1
    Legalintervention/war ............................(Y35.0) 330 0.1 0.1

However if we go to car accidents:

All transport ................... (*U01.1,V01–V99,X82,Y03,Y32,Y36.1) 47,894 16.2 16.0
    Unintentional................................ (V01–V99) 47,717 16.1 15.9
    Suicide...................................... (X82) 113 0.0 0.0
    Homicide.................................(*U01.1,Y03) 38 0.0 0.0
    Undetermined.................................. (Y32) 26 0.0 0.0
    Legalintervention/war ............................(Y36.1) – * *
    Motor vehicle

Information is formatted much better on the page, but basically the majority of homicide deaths are by suicide, which could easily be accomplished with another device. There are around 12000 firearms related homicide a year, but 4X that amount die in motor vehicle accidents. Falling kills around 20000 people a year, and unintentional poisoning (maybe even some prescription foul ups) kills around 23000 people a year (about twice the amount killed in gun-related homicides). Clearly a rational person would see that gun-related violence is blown out of proportion, not to say its inconsequential. Its much easier to do a story on someone shooting someone else, when twice the amount of people accidentally poison themselves or another throughout the year.

Wow, beat me to it, lol.

If you go to the CDC site and run the numbers for ages <1-12 years old, the number of deaths for 2005 is 209. I thought that was interesting, because to many people, when you hear about firearms-related deaths in "children" you are thinking along the lines of a preteen child finding a gun and shooting himself or herself or a sibling or another preteen child. That doesn't seem to be happening an awful lot. It's awful when it happens, but it's not that common.

1,554 of the 2005 deaths were in ages 16-18. Not adults, but not what most of us think of as "children" either.

Reddog, I'm sorry about your daughter, and thank you for all your good work.

Check out the numbers for children twelve and under who drown in swimming pools every year! It makes the shooting deaths pale in comparison. We don't have people going into hysterics calling for the banning of swimming pools.
    Charter member PWU (Pud Whackers Unanimous!)

Assault by homicide 0-14: 230
    Accidental Discharge of Firearms 0-14: 75
    Drowning 0-14: 810
    So basically if you add the assaults by homicide, and accidental discharge of firearms its still way less than half of accidental drownings.