Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maybe I'm being paranoid...

Maybe I'm being paranoid...

Please correct me if I am wrong. When a firearms dealer calls NICS he just states handgun or long gun, The ATF doesn't know if it is a single shot 22 or a AR 15. Correct?

I just recently purchased an AR 15. It came with a warranty card and I was thinking of sending it in. But then I got to thinking... If these guns become banned, the only person other than you who has a record of you having it is the gun shop owner and the maker of the gun if I send in the warranty card. How hard would it be for the ATF to bust into Colt, Bushmaster, Stag, etc. and check their records of who owns a banned weapon.

I am not really worried, but I just don't like the possibilities that the future holds. On the other hand, I spent a lot of money for this firearm and would like to protect my investment.
    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them..........George Mason

To Obama, all I can say is... ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I have never had an issue getting warranty service without sending the card in. Keep a secure copy of the sales recipt with the date and SN# on it and sleep easy.

FFMedic

Please correct me if I am wrong. When a firearms dealer calls NICS he just states handgun or long gun, The ATF doesn't know if it is a single shot 22 or a AR 15. Correct?
    You are correct. Also, the NICS check is called in to the FBI.
    PR
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "The people do not know what is best for themselves. Therefor we must FORCE the people to be happy!"

Your not paranoid, its much worse then you think

sorry couldnt help it.

The fewer amount of people/organizations that know about your firearms, the better...
    Gun control is like fighting drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to buy cars.

How hard would it be for the ATF to bust into Colt, Bushmaster, Stag, etc. and check their records of who owns a banned weapon?
    Bust in? They'd probably just knock and say "Plug in the coffee machine".

send in the card. If somebody asks in the future if you have the weapon tell them that you sold it or tradded it away.
    NRA life member, Support Our Troops,
    Pointman Ministries Member
    MMCDC Member

Under the present system ... at the time of your purchase the NICS (or equivalent) declaration does not state the make/model.

However, under the present system there is a "paper" trail available to the Govt. that begins when a firearm is moved from the manufacturer to the next point in the "retail" chain, and the same applies for each transfer point until it passes through the point of sale (POS) to you.

So the record exists, and requires no "break in" as the Govt. under the present system, has the authority to simply show up at any point of transfer and ask to see the records (log). And if you want to send in the Warranty card, go ahead ... typically they are used more by the marketing department than manufacturing.

The ONLY thing certain in life is DEATH. Live each day to its' FULLEST!

I want to say that the law says warranties cannot be dependant on sending a card in, but I have nothing to back this up.
    יזכר לא עד פעם (Remember. Never Again.)

"I want to say that the law says warranties cannot be dependant on sending a card in, but I have nothing to back this up."

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq.).

Being paranoid is okay as long as they're out to get you. They are, you're not crazy, and neither am I.

I don't send them in, they all get "lost in the mail"

I have the original receipt, if the gun has an issue, they get my ino then. No problem with S&W and HK working that way thus far.

That's why my next rifle will be a legal, off paper purchase. Rifle? what rifle?
    “When you understand the nature of a thing, you know what it is capable of.”
    -Miyamoto Musashi

"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best intentions."

Used, face-to-face. That sure puts a damper on the kuh-ooh duh lao bao jurn BATFE knowing what I have. 'Course, then I am dumb enough to post pics of them on gun boards!
    "It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire
    "Well, the Constitution has not yet been pregnant." - Gore Vidal
    "Freedom is terrifying to dependent personalities and their masters." - Standing Wolf

可恶的老暴君 batfe?
    Lew Wallace was an optimist.

I want my country back!

If you want to get technical, it's probably not conjugated correctly. I don't speak Mandarin, I just hear bits on TV.
    "It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire
    "Well, the Constitution has not yet been pregnant." - Gore Vidal
    "Freedom is terrifying to dependent personalities and their masters." - Standing Wolf

Whew.
    For starters, every 4473 records the make, model, type, caliber, and serial number of every gun transferred by the dealer. That information is also recorded in the A&D book. If the gun is new, there is a paper trail from the manufacturer to the distributor to the dealer to the customer.
    In TN anyway, all of that information is transmitted to TBI (our point of contact here). If the gun is stolen, it will be picked up at that point and the transaction will be denied.
    If it is a used gun then there is only a trail from the dealer to the customer. Unless the customer has purchased multiple handguns from the dealer within 5 days. In that case the dealer must submit to ATF a multiple sales report with all the relevant information. And ATF does in fact keep that information on the multiples. On the individual transfer through FBI, they are by law supposed to destroy the data within 72 hours. In TN I know that TBI in fact does this, retaining a record only of the time and date of the transaction, approval number, and whether it was approved or denied.

Big Brother is watching. Yes, it is as bad as you think.

All of you are worrying about precisely nothing.

If they're coming to take your rifles, then keeping the paper trail hidden should be the last concern on your mind.
    "Training errors are recorded on paper. Tactical errors are etched in stone." -Erwin Rommel
    Explanations exist: they have existed for all times, for there is always an easy solution to every problem — neat, plausible and wrong. - H.L. Mencken

All of you are worrying about precisely nothing.
    That is trivializing the possibilities just a little too much. The boat load of antis in BHO's cabinet is very concerning. Best case, the dems realized that gun control is a loser issue and leave our guns alone. Worst case, total gun ban followed by door to door confiscation. The likely middle ground is a return of AWB. That is why I said I am not really worried, but there are a lot of ifs involved.

If they're coming to take your rifles, then keeping the paper trail hidden should be the last concern on your mind.
    You are very right. But why make it easy for them, let them go door to door. Some of the primary concerns we have taken care of or have nearly completed and others are in the near future.

I just can't help but wonder if we have another Lexington in our future or a Fort Sumter. I pray that neither is the case.
    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them..........George Mason

That is trivializing the possibilities just a little too much. The boat load of antis in BHO's cabinet is very concerning. Best case, the dems realized that gun control is a loser issue and leave our guns alone. Worst case, total gun ban followed by door to door confiscation. The likely middle ground is a return of AWB. That is why I said I am not really worried, but there are a lot of ifs involved.
    No, the worst case is total nuclear annhilation. I don't see that as a real possibility either.
    People who think door to door confiscation is a real possibility are not in touch with reality.

No, the worst case is total nuclear annhilation. I don't see that as a real possibility either.
    People who think door to door confiscation is a real possibility are not in touch with reality.
    Really? Then what happened down in New Orleans didn't really happen.

It didn't happen in Cleveland.

The feds proberly already know what firearms you have. They proberly know how many sugars you put in your coffee. There are no secrets anymore.
    "U.S. Constitution, void were prohibited by law".

You are very right. But why make it easy for them, let them go door to door. Some of the primary concerns we have taken care of or have nearly completed and others are in the near future.

I just can't help but wonder if we have another Lexington in our future or a Fort Sumter. I pray that neither is the case.
    Because, were I an authoritarian government bent on disarmament and pacification, I wouldn't exactly feel constrained to limit my searches to only those people who had clearly registered firearms. Everyone who bought a firearm, ever...people with subscriptions to sporting magazines...people with any affiliation to the industry...anyone with a hunting permit...etc. And then of course, the time-honored tactic of offering rewards and bounties for turning in your gun-owning neighbor.

Let us be clear: if things ever reach a point like that, burying your weapons and pretending they don't exist is complicity.
    "Training errors are recorded on paper. Tactical errors are etched in stone." -Erwin Rommel
    Explanations exist: they have existed for all times, for there is always an easy solution to every problem — neat, plausible and wrong. - H.L. Mencken