Thread: Anyone Catch Al Roker Reporting: Armed in America?

Anyone Catch Al Roker Reporting: Armed in America?

Was on Sunday night but I just watched it on the DVR. Pretty typical ignorant and misleading reporting, from Al and the "experts". Off the top of my head:

-.223 Remington is now "high caliber".

-A Kel-Tec pistol in .223 can kill a man 500 yards away (sure, but who can make the shot?).

-Everytime terms like "guns on our streets" was mentioned a clip of a firing maching gun was shown.

-The issue of lousy FFLs was presented pretty fairly, but the Bloomberg NYC "private investigation" was presented as a wonderful, legal thing.

-Overall the ATF was presented as doing "god's work" (my quote) with no mention of botched raids, Waco, Ruby Ridge, horrible investigations and false accusations, etc.

-The concept of the NFA never got a fleeting mention but ALL sawed off shotguns and maching guns are now illegal apparently.

-"Assault Weapons" are the weapons of choice of everyone bad and nobody good.

-Barrett rifles were refered to as 50 cal Browning maching guns that are legal for "sporting purposes".

Am I the only one that seems to think the anti-gun media stories have been ramping up over the last few months?

FFMedic

It's like their gearing up the uninformed public to gain support for a ban

They don't have any idea how silly they are making themselves look.

They think the same as they did in 1993, in that:

all the people rely on network TV for ALL information, and,

nobody reasonable and rational owns one of those ebr's...do they? aren't they just a few kooks out there?
    PR
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "The people do not know what is best for themselves. Therefor we must FORCE the people to be happy!"

We all need to be more proactive on informing the public on these weapons. I just yesterday gave a lesson to someone I work with about the differences in a mini 14 (which he owns) and an AR 15. He did not like the black rifle, but when he found out that they were essentially the same thing, he changed his tune.
    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them..........George Mason

To Obama, all I can say is... ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I got a call from a woman who was running for our state's legislature (she won, BTW) and asked if I had any questions for her. Since she was a Democrate I asked for her views on the 2nd Amendment and general gun rights.
    We were on the phone for 45 minutes with her asking questions and I was either explaining or telling her where to get the facts. She listened intently and at the end she said that she had really been under some mis-information.
    The biggest piece of mis-information was that AR-15's were assault weapons and that they are the same as M-16's.
    I saw her at a meeting two weeks later (all reps & senate candidates had been invited - & ALL showed up!) & she not only remembered my voice but took the time to look up a lot of what I had told her. She was impressed with her new knowledge but a little embarrassed that she knew so little just two weeks prior.
    Now she's going off to our Legislative mtgs with much better info.

I patted myself on the back for that one.
    To all gun/shooting enthusiasts :
    "Support the ENTIRE Bill of Rights, not just the 2nd Amendment, every chance you get. If one amendment gets trounced on then the others will soon follow.

^ Minnesota? is that a shall-issue State? I'd offer to pay for her CCW training, were I you.

And re OP, oh, yeah, they're ramping up allright.

Truth? Knowledge? Fact? Sensitivity to the values that made America great?

Feh! I refer you to Herr Dr. Paul Joseph Goebbels on that issue.

they suck, it's not news.

but, fwiw, there's a buncha obama voters getting hinky about crime all to once..

suspect a great many folks are buying their first gun in a Long Time, and that'll continue..

you have to remember, the tv generation ran the country 30 years, still is in fact..

fantasy WINS on TV.

why NOT vote down the law of gravity, avoid admitting human nature, pretend violence is an accident of circumstance..

but felons don't care and fear changes minds.

a sucking black hole economy is a lousy time to ban guns, or even to try.

ordinary folks will break laws when they're scared.

TV certainly has changed although it's audience must be getting denser. If Radio Talkshow is run by the Conservatives, then TV is run by Liberals. Shows that are called, Sex With Mom & Dad, Wife Swap, to name a few. Maury, Jerry Springer, Divorce Court and all the Reality Shows.
    Al Roker needs to spice up his show and he sho ain't doing it with sex (ugh!) so he gets the next best thing...GUNS you mofo's!

Congratulations to MinnMooney! That's the sort of activism that might save us all!!

Never underestimate the stupidity of the american voter. They'll believe anything shown on the view screen. That YouTube video, made popular last week, showing Obama supporters interviewed after voting, demonstrated that.

Roker. He's NBC if memory serves. What a shock! NBC has made a living out of distorting and fabricating whatever they present for decades. Why should they change now? Orwell knew it would come to this. His timing was just off by about twenty-five years.
    If the sun's up, you still have a pulse and background radiation levels are nominal -- everything else is gravy! ChAir Force Specialty Code 1825K // My oath to "defend the Constitution against ALL Enemies, Foreign and Domestic" has no DOS. . . .

^^I agree, good for MinnMooney.

Don't take offense def4pos8, but please capitalize the first letter of American in the future.

Edit: I did not see it, just as well, as I probably would have flung something at the tv.
    Last edited by Rmac58; November 26th, 2008 at 07:12 AM. Reason: more info

Sayit ain't so ...

You mean that if I see it on TV with kindly "Uncle Al" spreading the word ... that it ain't factual and wholly the absolute "straight skinny".

Wow I am lucky ... I was just about at the point to sell of my M2 because I can't get a dependable scope mount ... the recoil of this 70+ pound monster keeps loosening up the mount ... and get me a better deer rifle ... or maybe my 1919 in it's A6 config. could be a substitute.

The ONLY thing certain in life is DEATH. Live each day to its' FULLEST!

Al Roker... check your inbox... :)

Dear Mr. Roker,

I was lucky enough to catch your special "Armed In America". I know you are a busy man and have things to do but I would truly appreciate it if you would sit and read this E-Mail in it's entirety and possibly get back to me with an E-Mail of your own.

The first mistake I heard during your special was that you called rifle magazines "Clips". I can assure you, that one single word caused a bit of head shaking in the community of legal and law abiding firearm owners. They are magazines Mr. Roker, not clips. You lost our interest within minutes of the first part of your story. Small details like this may not mean anything to you or your colleagues but they make you look bad to the informed public.

The second mistake was heard shortly after. The officers are not wearing bullet proof armor. They are wearing body armor. It is a bullet resistant material built into a vest. Regardless of civilian assumptions of these vests, they are not bullet proof. They are bullet resistant. Another mistake that could have been fixed with just a couple of seconds of research.

I will not dig deeper into the report as I know that has already been aired but you could do well by all people, not just those leaning to the left of the second amendment, by reporting in a non bias way. I understand that sensationalizing stories is a part of journalism. Without it, nobody would stop and watch. There is a time and a place for sensationalism and using it while reporting on THE constitutional right that has been hanging in limbo for years is not that time.

I am writing this E-Mail as a law abiding and legal firearm owner, hunter and sport shooter. I own firearms for my own personal protection, protection of my home, my own enjoyment and to periodically put some fresh food on the table. I wish that just once a well-known and respected reporter such as yourself would do a positive piece on firearms. Do a piece highlighting the legal and law abiding use of sporting firearms without demonizing an inanimate object.

Why not do a piece on the National 4-H Shooting Sports Program? This program was designed and has been working hard to teach marksmanship, the safe and responsible use of firearms to produce productive and informed citizens.

Do us responsible firearm owners and enthusiasts some justice and show the good along with the bad. We as legal firearm owners do not deserve the broad strokes that are incorrectly painting our image. Second only to the U.S. Military, responsible firearm owners are what keep this country free yet we are criminalized along with the U.S. Soldier on every news network, T.V. program and movie through omission of fact.

Without the Second, your First will be easy to take away. Without your First Amendment I believe you would be out of a job.

I hope to hear back from you.

Thank you for your time.
    I just sent this email. I suggest everyone email him. It is time we make these reporters understand that we are not going to sit idle while they destroy the image of responsible firearm owners with irresponsible reporting.

His Email addy is

Mailbag@Roker.com
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

"Except for ending slavery, Fascism, Nazism, and Communism, war has never solved anything."

I like that.
    I doubt he will ever see it, but I hope he does.
    "If you want assault rifles, join the army. We have lots of them." - General Wesley Clark 2004
    "Germans who wish to use firearms should join the SS or the SA. Ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State." - Heinrich Himmler 1936
    "Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum."
    Therefore, whoever wishes for peace, let him prepare for war.

I just finished sending a note to the address provided.

Many of these addresses are handled by staff people, so don't be surprised if he don't even see it.
    The ONLY thing certain in life is DEATH. Live each day to its' FULLEST!

Me too. I called him an "entertainer" at best, a "propagandist" at worst. I suspect the entertainer label might hurt more.

I wished him a good day though.

He should stick to the weather.
    What is the cure for cancer? The cure for death itself? The answer is immortality. By creating a legacy, by living a life worth remembering, you become immortal.

Join the Nebraska Firearms Owners Association! www.nebraskafirearms.org

He should stick to the weather.
    He should stick to food shows.
    "Lenin at least had an excuse for his mindlessness: he died of syphillis." - Standing Wolf
    "Remember, Remember The Fifth of November!"
    "It's not my Goal in life to be appropriate."

I like that.
    I doubt he will ever see it, but I hope he does.
    Very good chance that this is the outcome... but we can try can't we... I mean we obviously haven't much else to do... lol

Many of these addresses are handled by staff people, so don't be surprised if he don't even see it.
    Yup... its worth a shot.

I called him an "entertainer" at best, a "propagandist" at worst. I suspect the entertainer label might hurt more.

I wished him a good day though.
    lol... I figure that if they are impressionable enough to knowingly spout mis-truths and half-facts then we can use them to our advantage. Just have to massage their ego a bit... let them think they are boss... all the while knowing who's pulling the strings.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

"Except for ending slavery, Fascism, Nazism, and Communism, war has never solved anything."

Threads merged.

I didn't see the piece, but I was under the impression that all Al Roker does (at least these days) is stories about food and little old ladies. Seriously.
    Send lawyers, guns, and money . . .

MinnMooney!

Nice dude!
    "Guns are swell" - me

Saw it, got irritated that it was so pro-FBI and ATF, got bored when it turned into "Cops" with the dramatic shooting stories. Just another indication that they're gearing up to ban.
    "In survival, you seize the high ground and set up a machine gun nest." Hardware on THR.us 1/7/10

It's like their gearing up the uninformed public to gain support for a ban

Exactly what I told my wife after we watched it.
    NRA Member
    RMEF Life Member
    Location - Mt. WhereinthehellamI? Utah