Thread: Christmas gift ideas

Christmas gift ideas

I'm thinking of giving a pocket reference of the Constitution as gifts this Christmas, preferably one that also has the Declaration of Independence and/or the Federalist Papers. Well, if it has the Federalist Papers then it might not be a "pocket" reference. Any suggestions on where to find such a thing? Of course if there is any commentary outside of the Constitution itself it must make it clear that the Second Amendment doesn't just assure the states can raise a militia.

Any other ideas for gifts along the line of reminding loved ones of our rights as American citizens? I thought about giving NRA memberships but I'm not sure how that would be received. Maybe next year.
    You can have free speech or you can have income taxes but you cannot have both.

probably not what you are looking for but if have an iphone or iPod touch, there is a free app that contains and explains the constitution. Just a thought. The iPhone is very pocketable.

Try the Heritage Foundation

They will send you free copies fo the Constitution and Declaration of indepenence.
    Everyone should have one.
    https://secure.heritage.org/firstPri...stitution.aspx

While I was thinking about it I just ordered 6 for the kids. and in-laws.
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Cato Institute has what you want. http://www.catostore.org/index.asp?f...kIndex&scid=40, just under five quid apiece. As a bonus, it includes the preamble to the Bill of Rights, which is oddly missing from the Government's printing.

Can't imagine why they wouldn't want to publicize text like:
    The First 10 Amendments to the
    Constitution as Ratified by the States
    December 15, 1791
    Preamble

Congress OF THE United States
    begun and held at the City of New York, on Wednesday
    the Fourth of March, one thousand seven hundred and eighty nine.

THE Conventions of a number of the States having at the time of their adopting the Constitution, expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added: And as extending the ground of public confidence in the Government, will best insure the beneficent ends of its institution

RESOLVED by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America, in Congress assembled, two thirds of both Houses concurring, that the following Articles be proposed to the Legislatures of the several States, as Amendments to the Constitution of the United States, all or any of which Articles, when ratified by three fourths of the said Legislatures, to be valid to all intents and purposes, as part of the said Constitution; viz.:

ARTICLES in addition to, and Amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America, proposed by Congress, and ratified by the Legislatures of the several States, pursuant to the fifth Article of the original Constitution.
    Be cruel. Make someone think.

Dgreno, none of my intended recipients have an iPod or iPhone. I'll keep that in mind should I or one of my family get an iPod/iPhone.

RoadkingLarry, does the Heritage Foundation include any commentary on the documents? I'm afraid of just ordering them, or something similar, as they might send the wrong message on our RTKBA. I've seen to many that try to bend the Constitution into making people believe that we do not have the right to self defense.
    You can have free speech or you can have income taxes but you cannot have both.

I've been giving people gift memberships in the NRA for Christmas

Try the Heritage Foundation
    Copies I have floating around are from the Cato Institute (libertarian think tank).

Here we go: "The Declaration of Independence and the Constitution of the United States (The Pocket Constitution)" .
    10-49 copies $3.00 each
    50-99 copies $2.50 each
    100-499 copies $2.00 each
    500+ copies $1.50 each
    "Whom have I in heaven but you
    And beside you I desire nothing on earth." --PS 73