Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you think a pro-gun full hour show on prime time network TV would go over?

How do you think a pro-gun full hour show on prime time network TV would go over?

I wonder how many people would watch a program on prime time network TV made to debunk all of this public disinformation spewed out by "documentaries" like the one mentioned in Al Roker thread. It could provide plenty of real, documented statistics of gun ownership and real cases of people using guns successfully in self defense. It would probably take a good amount of cash to get this thing on the air, and I see the NRA needing to sponsor and put up the cash to get it produced, but I wonder if that would discourage non-gun people to watch it, because lets face it, to a lot of anti's and non-gunners, the NRA is a bunch of gun nut quacks and to them the whole program would be "skewed and biased". Then, the hardest part would be to find a national network that would actually air a pro-gun rights piece during prime time, if at all. Then again during this time of gun controversy, it might pull in some high ratings, all hail the mighty buck right? Maybe its just wishful thinking on my part. Any thoughts?
    Jeff

NRA Member

I think that would be super. I would watch it! I wish something like this was done a long time ago.
    If a show like this does ever take off, you can imagine the threats and fright, and hysteria from the liberal networks they would get.
    I think the Cam & Co. radio show should be on TV every night.
    LIFE NRA MEMBER
    USCCA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER
    Henry

Do not separate text from historical background. If you do, you will have perverted and subverted the Constitution, which can only end in a distorted, bastardized form of illegitimate government.
    James Madison

Mythbusters is a smashing success.

I'd love to see a show like that, for regular, everyday prime time TV.

Much like Penn & Teller's Bull... but toned down for everyday America. ABC would run it.
    יזכר לא עד פעם (Remember. Never Again.)

I wonder if the NRA or another pro-gun lobby has ever considered trying to get something like that in the works.
    Jeff

NRA Member

Do you mean a show about guns, or just a regular drama with a pro-gun slant? If it's a show about guns, I think it'd go over like a lead balloon. There are plenty of gun shows on TV, but they're where they belong -- on cable channels. No way could it carry an audience big enough to warrant a network prime time slot.

Now, if it were a regular drama with good writing and gripping storyline, where the characters just happen to be gun owners, that might do well. It'd be controversial at first, and controversy draws an audience. Network bosses would probably kill it before it got on the air, though. They'd insist you drop the gun angle, or make every gun owning character into a cop or a thug.
    It's 2 AM....do you know where your rights are?

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -- Douglas Adams

megaboraphobia n. The fear of large calibers

Unless the NRA or some wealthy angel underwrites it, it'll never happen. Commercial TV is just that: commercial. It's all about selling commercial time for the maximum amount of money. That's what pays the bills to keep everything on the air. A minute of commercial time during something like the Super Bowl or a hit sitcom sells for crazy high money. Commercial time during this documentary would be nearly worthless. None of the major networks are going to devote an hour of prime time to something that will lose them money.
    Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. Denis Diderot

I wish the NRA would do something like that. Make the sources for statistics easy to find and encourage people to go look them up and form their own opinions. They could even just buy a bunch of ad spots and run a few different commercials that are hard hitting.

...I think it'd go over like a lead balloon.
    Mythbusters proved they could work.

Maybe R. Lee Ermy. Just not that future weapons guy.
    "Lenin at least had an excuse for his mindlessness: he died of syphillis." - Standing Wolf
    "Remember, Remember The Fifth of November!"
    "It's not my Goal in life to be appropriate."

Mythbusters proved they could work
    Mythbusters isn't network. What's their audience compared to "Lost"? Network prime-time has to have broad appeal.
    It's 2 AM....do you know where your rights are?

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -- Douglas Adams

megaboraphobia n. The fear of large calibers

I think that would be super. I would watch it! I wish something like this was done a long time ago.
    If a show like this does ever take off, you can imagine the threats and fright, and hysteria from the liberal networks they would get.
    I think the Cam & Co. radio show should be on TV every night.
    Henry
    I would watch it, as probably most members of this fourm would. The ones who could benefit from good well presented factual information woud generally not watch, considering it propaganda.

I'm not talking about a series, but just a single documentary style show, maybe an hour long, in response to the news networks reporting on panic buying around the election and some networks running pieces on shows like 60 minutes or 20/20 about, or like the piece that Al Roker did in another thread. Just a rebuttal show with its own pro-gun statistics and stories where people had to successfully use their guns in self defense, if willing to share them. But, as was mentioned, I think it would be hard for it to find a network willing to air it.
    Jeff

NRA Member

The ones who could benefit from good well presented factual information woud generally not watch, considering it propaganda.
    True, but it might sway some fence-sitters.
    Jeff

NRA Member

Really big. I'd probably watch it, too.

Woody

A side-plot of an episode of The Unit was openly favorable toward concealed carry, and even had the pro-gun Army wife manage to convince an anti that guns aren't all bad. Of course, that show's audience is probably more likely to be pro-gun in the first place.
    "It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire
    "Well, the Constitution has not yet been pregnant." - Gore Vidal
    "Freedom is terrifying to dependent personalities and their masters." - Standing Wolf

I think if the NRA were to pay for such a show...it would be summarily discounted and ignored by the people it was intended to reach. Humans suffer from various cognitive biases. We tend to reduce the value and validity of information which cuts against our preconceived beliefs and inflate the value of information that supports those beliefs.

The choir would shout, "I can give YOU an AMEN brother!!!" Meanwhile, those needing saved would scoff, "No better than a TV preacher's infomercial", as they flipped the channel.
    Last edited by lysander; November 26th, 2008 at 11:43 AM. Reason: ...I cen haz speelchkr...

IIRC, John Stossel did a piece on ABC called "Myths, Lies and Downright Stupidity" wherein he debunked 10 different common myths. One of those myths was that gun control helps reduce crime. Here's a follow up story to the original clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyoLu...eature=related

I think if someone like him were to do a news story like Al Roker's, it would garner much more attention and credibility than Mythbusters, even thought they've tackled and debunked many gun myths.

I'd like to see it produced and then the money backing to get it aired; as for JeffDilla's worry that it'd be tough to find a network to air it, it would actually be worth the cost just to see how the networks would try to keep from airing it. Just imagine the challenges to those networks who survive by the first amendment to try to keep this from airing; differential ad costs? equal time? Wow.
    "In survival, you seize the high ground and set up a machine gun nest." Hardware on THR.us 1/7/10

Narrated by Sean Hannity?

Come on, folks, sure people would watch it. We'd watch it for the sheer novelty--"Would you look at that? Never thought I'd live to see the day."

The antis would watch it to get fired up and flood the switchboard with "How DARE you be in favor of murdering children?" calls and emails.

But--who's gonna produce it? Who's gonna line up the sponsors?

And even if we do all that, the NBC (or CBS or ABC) exec is going to can it: "Not on MY watch will we air something so...so factual!"

Loosedhorse: They totally will if they think it'll make them money.
    יזכר לא עד פעם (Remember. Never Again.)

Sorta, Nitrogen. We're talking one show.

If ANY big sponsor (or some other show producer, like Oprah), says, "You air that, no matter how much you make it'll cost you--because I'll remember and you'll lose my business," well, they're gonna choose long-term, continued bucks over a one-time gig.

Sponsors don't like heat. And big-wig Hollywood (or small screen Chicago types) like to throw their weight around.

Mythbusters is a smashing success.
    Mythbusters should never do another firearm "myth."

The couldn't find their keister with two hands and a headlamp.
    "If I said it, I must have meant it; so I owe him an apology, or nothing at all." -HST

Sounds boring to me. You could probably turn out a few interesting shows then its nap time.
    Every social movement (*snip*) that tries to break the bonds of mindless convention and tradition and that defies established privilege gets accused of being rude and worse, much worse, and there are always weak apologists for the status quo who use that pathetic etiquette excuse to try and silence the revolutionaries. Successful revolutionaries ignore the admonitions about which fork to use for their salad because they care only to grab the steak knife as they launch themselves over the table. -- Richard Dawkins

I'd check it out and try to support it... I watch the outdoor network and other cable channels that have show on that are firearms related whenever I can..

Sadly, I don't think enough people care that much about their second amendment...

I'm not refering to most of you guys here, so don't start professing you Pro-Gunmanship...

Most of the people I know, outside of a here, a few other progun forums and the Gunclub I'm a member of think, because they say, ""Yea, Dude, we should be able to have guns!" that that means they really support the 2nd amendment...

Most would not write or call Goverment Officals even if you send them a link to Automate it for them.

Most would not or do not buy guns and ammo on the regular.

Most are not members fot he NRA or other Pro Gun Groups.

Most would not take the time to show up at a rally or do anything that might take some effort on their part.

Obviously, for one reason or another not enought people voted for a canidate that supported the 2A in the recent election.

Most will just say, ""Ah, this is America, they will never really crack down on Guns or Ban them."

I've had discussions with two people today that have their head in the sand about things... By friendly conversation I thinkI got them to open their eyes a bit, but not enough to help anything... They both beleive in the the 2A, but would fall into the above about not doing anything...

Sorry to Hijack and Ramble, but I had to get that off my chest and this is the only good place to do so... Althought I guess its like preaching to the Choir...
    If you can blame guns for Crimes, then I can blame my Keyboard for misspelled words!!!

How about putting together "infomercials," instead?

I notice a couple of local stations sometimes even run them in the daytime.

I remember the NRA doing an infomercial years ago about the Australian gun grab. After about 10 minutes it just seemed to be the same footage and talking points all over again. I remember seeing it twice on network TV, once around 0400-0600 on a weekday (when most people are asleep) and once on a Sunday around 0900 (when most people are at church).

Since then I've never seen another program like it, maybe the NRA found out it was ineffective or the Campain finance laws prohibited it.