Thread: NJ: Buying handgun ammo online is now illegal?!

NJ: Buying handgun ammo online is now illegal?!

I guess I've been asleep.

I was tooling around online looking at the outrageous ammo prices and got this warning from Midway:

As of April 1, 2008, New Jersey statutes will not allow sales of handgun ammunition to New Jersey.
    Please remove the item(s) from your Shopping Cart and begin the checkout process again, or close this window and try entering a different shipping address. NOTE: We cannot ship to a P.O. Box by UPS or send hazardous materials (e.g., aerosols, flammable liquids, loaded ammunition, primed brass, and etc.) by USPS
    Can someone cite the relevant statue?

And if this is true, where the HELL was the NRA and ANJRPC?

Screwed once again. Now I have to pay double at the local store and watch the guy write my name in a book for buying a box of ammo.

Apparently the law does not apply to reloading components. Just "handgun ammunition" so it seems like I now have a reason to finally get into reloading.

I know that since April, you have to have an FID card to buy ammo in stores and your info gets recorded. I can't believe I didn't make the connection on buying on-line until I read this thread. This is truly tragic. Ammo is ridiculously overpriced at local stores. This sounds to me like the first step towards "reasonable restrictions" and I didn't hear a peep out of anyone until I went to Dick's for some .45ACP and was asked to produce my FID. It reminds me of Chris Rock's take on gun control by making ammo overpriced - "I would shoot you right now.... if I could AFFORD it!"

I thought they always asked for your FID (or maybe it was drivers license?) for handgun ammo and in either case, they recorded your name and address in a book.

I bought very little ammo in state because the prices are double what you can get online if you shop around.

However it was still legal to buy online. Apparently now it's not.

What I don't understand is why I am just hearing about it now instead of via an alert from the NRA or ANJRPC.

The problem is the law only talks to and relates to NJ brick and mortar premises but due to an abundance of caution a very few online retailers are doing this.

I don't know why Midway are doing this all you need to do is fax a copy of the FID as they do for Illinois residents

Update.

Just got off the phone with Midway and was told that they are working to intregrate the NJ FID with IL FOID so you will be able to fax the FID in to purchase ammunition.

Time line is after the new year apparently.
    "Remember children, once we have pulled the pin from Mr. Grenade, Mr Grenade is no longer our friend"

Just 'cause I live here does not make me a septic, you muppet !

I just checked Natchesz - no issue with shipping handgun ammo to NJ.

Hmmmmmmm . . . . . so the law hasn't changed but Midway has taken it upon themselves to do this after how many years? I'd like to hear the story behind that - always liked them as a company. Great service and all. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

Don't blame the NRA or anyone other than Jersey voters. The elected the idiots that are making these laws.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
    Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

NRA First Steps Instructor
    Minnesota Carry Permit Instructor

Sportsman Guide refuses to ship to CA but nobody else does. They could not give a reason as to why.
    ...Brian

So if you are from out of state and just want some ammo? You have to drive to another state buy it and return?

IMHO this is how the new administration will "control" guns. If you have no ammunition your gun(s) are only expensive clubs, and not as good at that as baseball bats. Stock up and be prepared for lots of dry firing to save ammo.

Don't blame the NRA or anyone other than Jersey voters. The elected the idiots that are making these laws.
    Obviously its the elected officials.

But are you saying then that the NRA can't have an impact in NJ? Because if that's the case I should cancel my membership and save my $$$ for the more expensive ammo.

Note to self: send the admins a note about people from free states jumping in on NJ, MA, CA, MD etc. threads with less than helpful comments that basically amount to your state stinks, why don't you move or stop crying. It is predictable as the sunrise. And we're already oppressed enough by living here.

Larry - maybe that youtube skit by, forgot the comedian is prophetic - no gun bans just a $5000 tax on bullets.

When are you guys planning on retaking that place???

We're planning the tactical retreat to PA first . . . .

As far as the ANJRPC, I'm sure Scott Bach was in there to testify as he always is but there is only so much he can do. NJ is an uphill battle and the politicians are willing to do anything "for the children."

IL has thier FOID cards. I was told by many people that this prevented us from buying online since we had to produce the card at local stores to buy ammo. However, I've since found out that I can indeed buy ammo online. (I had to, to find 16ga target loads). Was not asked for anything. But I think Midway requires a copy of the card if you buy there.

Here is the law in question that took effect around June 08.

Senate Bill 2470 (1R) regulates the sale of handgun ammunition.
    Under the provisions of the bill, it is unlawful to sell or transfer
    handgun ammunition to another person unless that person is a licensed
    manufacturer, wholesaler or dealer, or is the holder of a valid firearms
    purchaser identification card, a valid copy of a permit to purchase a
    handgun or a valid permit to carry a handgun.
    The bill does, however, permit ammunition to be transferred to
    individuals who are not licensed or the holders of firearms
    identification cards or permits to purchase or carry a handgun for use
    in firearms that have been lawfully transferred to that individual for
    target practice, trap or skeet shooting or firing range competition or
    instruction.

In the past, gun shops required a signature in a log book but it doesn't appear that they have gone back to that format. A copy of a FID card looks to be sufficent but it might very well be that the retail mail order locatiopns don't want to be bothered with the paperwork.

No offense to the Jerseyites in the group , you guys are not the problem!

But New Jersey has always been a #*$*$^@*! state in nearly every respect. Since the same idiot lawmakers keep getting elected there, year after year....I recon the majority of voters there are real jewels also.

Best advice is move to a state with real people in it. Your not going to win there!
    When in doubt, Empty the magazine!

NJ will always keep electing the same old tired politicians year after year. They can be under indictment and still win.

When I was still with my department, the laws would change weekly. You couldn't keep up with the changes. We were a fairly large department that had one person assigned to handle the firearm's applications among his other duties. He would attend the state sponsored seminars a few times a year and he couldn't keep up with the changes. Getting the updated forms was difficult enough but at least they not put them online.

Getting the permit (at least on our town) was fairly strightforward. Usually the only holdup was when the references were not sent back or information was incorrect. But once the SBI number was issued by the state, purchase permits were not a big deal. A few days in most cases.

The real problem is a lack of ranges, indoor and out. Many closed and open land was worth much more for housing than it was for a firearm's range. We were lucky to get a spot in a landfill to built our police ranges and even that will be used for developement down the road.

The state law applies only to transactions within the state of NJ. In a mail order situation, the buyer takes title to the merchandise F.O.B. shipping point, thus any pronunciamentos from the "Trenton 'Tards" are irrelevant.
    Midway, a primary offender in this respect, is no more bound by NJ law in their business dealings than I am bound to honor a ticket written by a Missouri cop for overtime parking in Paramus, NJ. I think some of these meatwhistle vendors stay up nights looking for irrelevant laws to obey.
    Last edited by Nicky Santoro; November 27th, 2008 at 12:58 PM. Reason: clarification

They can be under indictment and still win.
    Not only in NJ. Remember they also re-elected Marion Berry in DC. The masses just don't give a SH@#.

No one in .gov respects the Constitution anymore.
    Igonrance is temporary, but stupidity is forever.

Ammoman would never ship to a NJ address for this reason.

The state law applies only to transactions within the state of NJ. In a mail order situation,
    the buyer takes title to the merchandise F.O.B. shipping point
    I'm not sure I agree with your interpitation. Did you get this from a legal source? Retailers have been burnt by sales to MA residents due to the state regulations and have been involved in costly legal battles. Due to that, no one will ship anything to MA. Can the retailers think NJ will not do the same thing?