Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggested primer for Guntalk callers ;)

Suggested primer for Guntalk callers ;)

ok, I love listening to Gun Talk. I download the podcast every week and listen to it while driving to work or while working in the shop and I've learned quite a bit and been inspired to go off on my own and learn even more. I've also learned that Open Lines drive me crazy because callers are IDIOTS! I've developed a list of items that everyone should read before calling GunTalk or any other radio show.

1) Wear some freakin hearing protection when you go shooting!!! I listen to a lot of talk shows and not a single one of them has the problem with deaf callers that Gun Talk does. "Huh?", "What?", "I can't hear you Tom." Whenever Tom has a guest it's inevitable that the guest and a caller will talk over each other because the caller couldn't hear a drunken one-man-band stumbling down the street. If you can't hear the answer anyway, just send a dang e-mail!

2) Don't call a radio talk show on a cell phone!! You will lose your signal and it will be about 10 seconds after you've already gotten on the air.

3) I'm going to create a nationwide organization to handle the next type of caller. If you call in and ask what kind of gun to get for your wife, we will send people to your house to beat you. Here's a concept...freaking let her pick it out on her own!!!! It's the 21st century people, girls can even go to school and vote. Besides, if you've listened to at least one episode you've heard Tom answer this question.

4) .223 vs 5.56?

5) GET TO THE FREAKIN POINT!!!!!! There are tens of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of people if not more, listening. If you want to know how to break in a target rifle say "Hello Tom, I want to know how to break in a target rifle." The rest of us don't care how much you paid for it, what the weather was like the day you picked it up or how much they cost when you were a kid. You can spin your yarns to your heart's content for the good ol' boys down at the range. I can't even count the number of people who've called in, blathered for about 30 seconds and when Tom finally says, "What's your question?", it has nothing to do with what they were talking about!! I get dizzy trying to figure out how they even planned on getting from point A to point B, let alone do it in the three hours allotted for the program.

6) There are 50 states. You probably live in at least one of them. If you have a state legal question, look it up! I doubt Tom or anyone else makes a habit of memorizing the laws for all 50.

I'm sure I'll think of more during the drive home. It's hard work being so judgemental.

Re. number 4: I just listened to this week's podcast, and thought that I was hearing a rerun of a rerun of a rerun.

On a brighter note, I heard that Tom will be spending Thanksgiving just up the road a bit from me. Tom, do you want to go shooting Friday?
    Lew Wallace was an optimist.

I want my country back!

7. Shut of the radio when you call in

>> 7. Shut of the radio when you call in

Amen!

ask a question, wait for an answer and don't argue if you don't like the answer.

These are all basic radio call in habits people should have.

Though God I love listening to Tom politely but firmly shut down the "new world order" callers <grin>.
    "The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on"

So I live in the stone ages. Sue me.

I've heard of NPR's Car Talk, but where is Gun Talk to be located? It sounds more interesting.

http://www.guntalk.com

podcast, direct downloads and Sirius satellite; maybe a few am or streaming stations - have a look.

Guntalk is in select markets across the country, but a lot of people (I used to as well) just download the show and listen to it the next day. Guntalk.com is the main site, http://guntalk.com/site39.php gives the list of affiliates. Your location says Tejas, presuming thats Texas they have it on :
    KSKY AM Dallas TX 660 AM 1 - 2 pm Central
    KPRC AM Houston/Galveston TX 950 AM 1 - 4 pm Central
    KPRC AM Houston/Galveston TX 950 AM Mid (Sat) - 3 am (Sun) Central
    KNET AM Palestine TX 1450 AM 1 - 4 pm Central
    KTBB AM Tyler TX 600 AM 2 - 4 pm Central
    6 - 7 am Central
    KEES AM Tyler TX 1430 AM 8-10 am (Sat) Central
    2-4 pm (Sun.) Central
    KKTX AM Corpus Christi TX 1360 AM 4 -6 pm Central
    KWKC AM Abilene TX 1340 AM 2 - 4 pm Central
    KYZS AM Tyler TX 1490 AM 6 - 8 am Central (Sat.)
    I'm such an Operator that Gecko45 has a poster of me on his wall.

Awesome! I had never heard of this before (Okay, so maybe it's time to move up from the rock I'm living under.) But I'm psyched about it. Going to go download some podcasts.

Those are good suggestions, but maybe Tom could use a few suggestions like:

#1 When someone calls about their Tec-9 jamming, stop telling them to use it as a boat anchor and just tell them to take it to a gunsmith.

#2 Come up with a more realistic answer when someone calls about a simple, inexpensive, training you can do at the range in a few hours. Yes everybody knows Gunsite is great, but most people cannot afford to take a couple of days off, drive or fly out of state, pay for ammo, lodging, meals, and training.

#3 "Bring enough gun" is a great catch-phrase, but even a Bersa .380 is better than no gun at all and not everyone can afford a Kimber.

DENVER METRO AREA ?

Of these stations (or any others you may know which maybe aren't on the list), what's the best bet for picking it up off-the-air?

KZNT AM Colorado Springs CO 1460 AM 4 - 6 pm Mountain (Sat.)

KSCB AM Liberal KS 1270 AM 1 - 2 am Central (Mon. - Wed.)

KEPL AM Estes Park CO 1470 AM Noon - 3 pm Mountain

KFRM AM Salina KS 550 AM 1 - 4 pm Central (Sat.)

All the things you listed are common issues on every radio show I've ever listened to, whatever the subject matter may be; guns, politics, religion, squash...whatever, it's just human nature to want to tell your story.

In my line of work, I show up at many different places every day to do ONE thing and I only need to know ONE thing, yet nearly every time, without fail, the customer proceeds to give me every minute detail, past, present and future of their project.

Sometimes I get frustrated at them and want them to think for 2 seconds, while in my head screaming "NONE OF WHAT YOU'RE TELLING ME IS HELPING!!" On the other hand, they're just human and they want to share with me, so I let them ramble
    “When you understand the nature of a thing, you know what it is capable of.”
    -Miyamoto Musashi

"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best intentions."

Can't agree more !!!

love gun talk !

the 223 vs 5.56 is a classic !

Tom.. stop telling "I told you so.."
    Swiss gun collector and shooter.. and proud of it !
    Geneva is not about conventions. It's where I live ;)

Though God I love listening to Tom politely but firmly shut down the "new world order" callers <grin>.
    Sure ZeSpectre. I bet you wrote this while taking a break from mounting a government designed pain ray on your black helicopter.

#3 "Bring enough gun" is a great catch-phrase, but even a Bersa .380 is better than no gun at all and not everyone can afford a Kimber.
    Actually, over the last few years, I think Tom has softened on this. It used to e nothing less then a 9mm, but in the last year, I've heard him recommend the Ruger LCP in .380 and just last week, a fellow asked about his wife carrying a .22. Tom said if that what she'll actually carry, it's better than nothing.

He even spoke about a The .327 Federal Magnum last week !
    Swiss gun collector and shooter.. and proud of it !
    Geneva is not about conventions. It's where I live ;)

Yes - good stuff. He gets some of the manufacturers on there as well. Nice to hear from them and get their take.

He's also going full bore on a join the NRA campaign - he's right on with that too.

Suggested primer for Guntalk Listeners;-)

Old gunnies are deaf, get used to it.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
    Robert A. Heinlein

Old gunnies are deaf, get used to it.
    lol Right. Back when you old guys started, ear plugs meant you couldn't afford Q-tips.

Here's question. Who else just shuddered in disbelief over the kid who called in about wanting to take a pistol to Mexico? Regular listeners and people who actively follow gun law, etc., know that Tom is fairly well versed in this stuff. But if I was someone NOT into guns, I'm not going to trust some guy I've never heard before on the radio as to whether or not I can take guns into a FOREIGN COUNTRY! Someone that ignorant as to gun laws should lock up his gun before he's playing musical bunks at Club Federale.

Although I'll grant that starting from scratch when it comes to gun knowledge is rough. A lot of gunnies sling around far too much testosterone for a newbie to feel comfortable initiating contact.

lol Right. Back when you old guys started, ear plugs meant you couldn't afford Q-tips.

Naw, it was my dad that had used cigarette butts, and .22 casings as ear plugs, but, from his tales, only the rich kids had Q-tips. Even though he has been gone a few years now, I still can't start a car, without first turning the radio down.

"empty .22's make fine hearing protection"
    "do they really"
    "huh?"
    "do they really work?"
    "WHAT?"
    "DO 22'S REALLY MAKE GOOD EAR PLUGS?"
    "don't be stupid, who eats weird bugs?"

but he did always make us wear hearing protection.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
    Robert A. Heinlein

but even a Bersa .380 is better than no gun at all and not everyone can afford to fix a Kimber.
    Fixed it for you
    "No worries buddy, the flood will put out the fire"-J.R. Williams

Those are good suggestions, but maybe Tom could use a few suggestions like:
    #4: Put down the crack pipe; any worthwhile load in a .45/70 carbine is a hard kicker.

I'm not sure what he shoots in his, but I nearly wrecked the car when he started going off on the poor guy who was having trouble with recoil.

You've got it all wrong.... its Taurus's they won't stop talking about
    I'm such an Operator that Gecko45 has a poster of me on his wall.

You've got it all wrong.... its Taurus's they won't stop talking about
    Hey if S&W. Springfield, Taurus, etc. pay the bills and keep the show on the air, he can recommend whatever he wants. I do agree with him though that it's hard to find a bad gun.

Most of the people who hate a brand name had one bad issue or know someone who had an issue and just can't let it go. Anecdotal evidence is not evidence. It's like people who refuse to drive a Ford because they had one rust 25 years ago.

needs more 10MM talk
    whirled peas Through Superior Firepower