Thread: Gun Vault

Gun Vault

Just curious if anyone here has a built in gun vault in their home. I am looking at building a new home and want to have a pourd concreate wall vault built into it. any pics would be cool thanks

Here you go:

So cool - how do you keep it dry?

Specs on door, concrete etc?

Highland Ranger So cool - how do you keep it dry?

Specs on door, concrete etc?

Look at the picture and see how he keeps it dry, your eyes aren't on everything!

Nice Vault!

GRP

that is cool

Is that a dehumidifyer in the second pic that I spy? Looks rather "fitted" and a pain to empty but what do I know. Maybe there's a drain tube to a floor drain? It's sure better than the alternative (rust guns).
    To all gun/shooting enthusiasts :
    "Support the ENTIRE Bill of Rights, not just the 2nd Amendment, every chance you get. If one amendment gets trounced on then the others will soon follow.

Good work on the toy room!
    Because of their tremendous reputation, the soldiers of the old guard were permitted liberties which would not have been tolerated in other units. When Napoleon met Tsar Alexander of Russia at Tilsit in 1807 he pointed to a terribly scarred Grenadier. "What do you think of men who can endure such wounds?" he asked. " and what do you think of men who can inflict them?" replied the Tsar. "They're all dead!" interjected the Grenadier, settling the issue once and for all.

I used a metal frame for the door and installed a commercialn solid door that the fire dept used for training. They had several donated to them. They found that it was too much trouble and effort to try and chop thtu, so they gave me some doors with frames. I hung the door to swing out and put a commercial lock set with tamper proof plate on it. It is by no means as secure as the one shown, but the price was right (free ) I also reload in the same room in the basement. Only two walls are concrete now, but I plan on walling in the other side and make a bigger room. Works for me so far.

I responded on the "other side" as well, but will mention it here for those that aren't there.

Click on the link in my signature. Photos in gallery and under the vault/panic room tab. There's a few residential vault installations shown.
    Safe Sales, Service, & Delivery
    Commercial - Residential - Gun Safes
    www.zykansafe.com

Man, that's inspiring. How hard are those old used bank vault doors to come by?

Concrete specs: Floor is a 24" footer 4" of gravel, and then 4" of fiber re-enforced concrete (so it is essentially 30" thick). The ceiling is corregated steel covered with steel re-enforced 4000 psi concrete. Three of the walls of the walls are 10" think and the other is 18" thick. All walls are re-enforced with 3/4" re-bar.

I think the weakest part is the door. I do not tell people who makes the door and it has no label, sticker, or company name painted on the outside. So - standing in front of it, you dont know what the internals look like. All I tell people is that it has a 1/2" thick door, it has a large number of bolts, a re-locker system, and a high quality lock.

I have a house-sized dehumidifier in it to keep everyting dry. I don't have to empty the pail as it has a hose that runs to a floor drain.

We'd all like to come live in your house, do you have room?

NateC;

I've got two bank vault doors available. One safe deposit room & one cash vault. You don't really want the cash vault door though. Honest, unless your willing to pay for heavy trucking & cranes.

900F
    Birth Certificate? What birth certificate? He don't need no steenkink birth certificate!

Sorry - No room for borders

All the guns, ammo, and reloading stuff take up all my room.

My father did something similar back in the mid 60's but to store his bottled wines and storage. Keeping it dry was a real chore. I would guess it needs a large dehumidifer. I can't tell from the photos but are any of those walls exterior?

How hard are those old used bank vault doors to come by?
    Not hard at all if you have the money. On a basic vault door, a lot of the expense is tied up in the professional removal, transport, and reinstallation.

We sell used bank grade doors starting in the $5,000 range, which isn't bad considering many of the gun safe manufacturers sell their lightweight doors for $3,000 +.

It is definately not a do it yourself job.
    Last edited by a1abdj; November 27th, 2008 at 11:15 PM.
    Safe Sales, Service, & Delivery
    Commercial - Residential - Gun Safes
    www.zykansafe.com

Only one wall is fully an outside wall. Another is about 1/2 way an outside wall. The blue-prints for my house is funny - but I won't be posting it here

For those on a budget, commercial steel doors and frames can be had in 12 gauge, reinforced with hat channels. Spec a "detention grade" door with two dead bolts and a mortise lock, use commercial grade hardware, and security hinges with non removable pins and hinge studs to hold the door in the frame.

When the frame is poured in place with the wall, most psychiatric 300 pound juveniles can't get out, so it should stand up to a short lived attack by more expert thieves.

High school locker rooms are spec'd the same because of the football squad. Districts eventually learn they can't go cheap on that stuff.