Thread: Question about scope mounting

Question about scope mounting

I'm sure this has been covered before, but I need a quick reccommendation.

I recently purchased a Savage 111 in 30-06 with a scope that came with it. The scope is junk so I purchased a nikon (the model escapes me at this moment.) The gentleman at the store assured me it would fit my current mounts. However, the "barrel" of the scope is just a tad bit too short. There is not enough room to move the rings back, so what can I do to fix this?

Thank you for the help.

You could get a one piece mount and use those rings, or get a new set of rings with one being off-set, or replace the forward mount with a longer one. You could also try reversing the forward mount, if the holes are not in the center of the mount it might give you enough extra space. Personally, I'd get new rings, those look a bit cheap.
    "A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man."

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I'm sure they are a bit cheap, however I'm trying to go the most economical route possible. Being in college I don't have a lot of money to begin with, and swinging the new scope was already a bit of a squeeze.

The Savage 110 action is recognized as a unit of measurement in some countries, since it's hard to find items that are longer.

Millet makes a set of "offset" rings that may work. Or go with a one piece mount that'll take weaver-type rings. That's what I'd do.
    Resume available upon request.
    Have good references.
    Can pass any number of drug screens.

Yaeh, a one piece weaver mount would be the cheapest way to go. Here's one. If the 111 uses the same mounts as the 110, you would need a #413.
    "A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man."

Is it just me, or do those rings look way to tall?
    "If it looks like a rabbit, and acts like a rabbit, it will be treated as such- prey for all predators.
    If it looks like a rabbit and bites like a rattlesnake, rabbits will be safer, and predators more reticent."

In my experience, the Bushnells that come with the Savage combos aren't junk. Granted, they aren't Nikons, but they are functional optics. In my experience.

Having said that, you can't move those bases fore or aft due to the way they are drilled for mounting--what you see is what you get. I'd replace them with a one-piece that lets you move the rings to suit your scope.

Next time, measure twice and cut once.

Here's a page from MidwayUSA with all of the bases that they have which fit Savage rifles.

http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#sco...20____-_1-2-4_

There are lots of 1 pc and 2 pc bases. Some of the 2 pc bases have slots that are not in the center so you can reverse them to either lengthen or shorten the distance between the rings. Hope this helps.

P.S. did it come with a "Pine Ridge" scope. Mine did and it's OK, at best.
    Last edited by MinnMooney; November 27th, 2008 at 01:57 AM. Reason: add a P.S.
    To all gun/shooting enthusiasts :
    "Support the ENTIRE Bill of Rights, not just the 2nd Amendment, every chance you get. If one amendment gets trounced on then the others will soon follow.

You need to replace the front base with a Weaver #402.
    Weaver #402 costs $4 click here

In my experience, the Bushnells that come with the Savage combos aren't junk. Granted, they aren't Nikons, but they are functional optics. In my experience.
    The scope isn't a Bushnell. Maybe those come on the higher end models, but the scope that came with mine doesn't even have brand markings. It is a Simmons I believe. Every time I fire, specs fly and stick to the rear glass. I can't even get the cross hairs in focus without doing some monkeying around with my eyes. I've shot rifles with better cheaper scopes. My friend has a cheaper Tasco on his .243 that works light years better than this one does.

I didn't measure because the gentleman that helped me, who seemed very knowledgeable, assured me it would fit my stock mounts, so I took his word.

I think you are absolutely correct. I think I should have referenced Simmons rather than Bushnell. All the same, in my experience, I have no complaints. I have heard reports similar to yours from elsewhere.

Regarding measuring: consider it a valuable lesson learned. Until proven otherwise, don't be too quick to assume that the fella standing next to you (or at the end of your internet discussion) is anything other than a bloomin' idiot. I wish I had a nickel for every occasion in which I regretted making assumptions about someone else's knowledge/experience.

There called extension rings and are set up so that one of a pair has an extended base section which will allow you to mount your scope on the present bases.

A front extension ring will mount on your front base but the ring is extended back so that it will set onto the 1" tube in back of the start of the bell.
    I respect not those who feel entitled to it, but those who earn it.

Simmons Scopes....

...... I have a "Deerfield" scope (manufactured by Simmons, IIRC) and it has been doing Yeoman's work atop my (formerly my Grandfather's) .270 for DECADES...... dozens of deer, countless coyotes...... this was made in the 80's, I'm sure, and maybe they don't make 'em like the used to......... but it still works.......
    "If it looks like a rabbit, and acts like a rabbit, it will be treated as such- prey for all predators.
    If it looks like a rabbit and bites like a rattlesnake, rabbits will be safer, and predators more reticent."

You need to replace the front base with a Weaver #402.
    Weaver #402 costs $4 click here
    You can't replace just the front base with a Weaver. The bases that come with the Savage are NOT Weaver bases and they are not compatable with Weaver bases.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government".....Thomas Jefferson

Simmons seem to be either just fine or terrible, depending on which specimen you get. You might be able to get a warranty replacement ???

Best thing would be to take the rifle and scope into a decent gun shop and they can go through all their bases and rings until they find the setup that works. I used to do stuff like that for people when I worked behind the counter.
    Governments don't live together. People live together.

Easiest thing is to call Midway. As has been suggested. One piece mount, and you're set.
    Resume available upon request.
    Have good references.
    Can pass any number of drug screens.

If the old scope is still functional, sell it for enough to cover a good set of extension rings.

I've got Leupold rings on my Savage. Angled ones like this may be your best bet. You could flip the rear one if necessary.