Thread: Life is full of little surprises...

Life is full of little surprises...

An armed robber who tried to stick up a New Castle area man was shot himself when his would-be victim pulled out his own gun and fired at him.

The gunshot victim later reported to police that he was shot during a robbery that went awry.

New Castle County police spokesman Cpl. Trinidad Navarro said the holdup happened at 5:45 p.m. Monday in the first block of Chesterfield Drive in Garfield Park.

A 37-year-old man told officers that he was taking items out of his car when two men walked up to him and stuck an object in his side and attempted to rob him.

The victim said he thought the assailants were going to shoot him, so he pulled out his own 9 mm handgun and fired one round at the suspects.

Navarro said the man was not sure if he hit either of the assailants, although he did hear a loud moaning sound after he fired the shot.

The two would-be robbers ran off in the direction of Bizarre Drive.

While officers were on their way to the first call about the robbery, a second call came in about an 18-year-old man with a gunshot wound to his upper chest.

The shooting victim told the officers he was shot by a group of men who tried to rob him on Briarcliff Drive.

He was admitted to Christiana Hospital in stable condition.

Officers investigating the first case on Chesterfield Road recovered the gun from the victim and are holding it as evidence.

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/p.../NEWS/81125036

Take that, Joe Biden.

The shooting victim told the officers he was shot by a group of men who tried to rob him on Briarcliff Drive.
    Wrong. He wasn't the so-called "shooting victim." He was the criminal. He deserved to die, not be saved by medical experts.
    No tyrant should ever be allowed to die a natural death.

The gunshot victim later reported to police that he was shot during a robbery that went awry.
    Awry? No, that's the way robberies should go.
    "Whom have I in heaven but you
    And beside you I desire nothing on earth." --PS 73

Officers investigating the first case on Chesterfield Road recovered the gun from the victim and are holding it as evidence.
    Which "victim"? Aparently there were two, the victim of a failed armed robbery, and the "victim" of a gunshot to the chest. Both happened at the same location, at the same time!!

Oneshooter
    Livin in Texas
    'Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem' --
    - Ronald Reagan-

I hope the victim has more than just the one gun in case the BG's buddies come back for some revenge. I've never understood why the good guy needs to lose his weapon.
    Gettin' Old Ain't For Sissies!
    - Bette Davis -

I've never understood why the good guy needs to lose his weapon
    Evidence needs to be processed. You can't do that by firing into the ground in the vic's front yard and then digging it up with a knife.
    The worst things happen at the most critical times, and it's these moments that YOU need to be flawless, not the gun.

Years of Communist oppression have made the Mosin Nagant impervious to physical damage.

Evidence?

Here's what wrong with the country. If a citizen says he shot a scumbag in a robbery you should look at the two individuals. Citizen with clean record and CCW. Scumbag with prior convictions, etc. We need to change the laws so the investigation should take 15 min at the scene, report should not take up more than a two sided 81/2" x 11" form, and the cop should be out again looking to stop another scumbag.
    "I would advise persisting in our struggle for liberty, though it were revealed that 999 men were to perish, and only one of a thousand to
    survive and retain his liberty. One such freeman must possess more virtue, and enjoy more happiness, than a thousand slaves." - Samuel Adams - 1774

Evidence needs to be processed. You can't do that by firing into the ground in the vic's front yard and then digging it up with a knife.
    If the victim says he shot his attacker, why do you need to process the gun?

They have to link the gun to the wound.
    No arguement here as long as he gets it back after the trial.

It would seem to me that saying, "I shot him with this gun" would nicely link the gun to the wound.

In the meantime, how does the victim defend himself from his attackers friends?

Therer are a couple of more lines not in the OP:

The shooting and attempted robbery remain under investigation.

No charges have been filed pending the outcome of the investigation.
    Eloi-- Tastes Like Chicken

Fire a bullet from the true victim's gun into the recovery tank, pull it out, give the gun back to the victim. If the bullet was recovered from the assailant, it can be compared to the one from the victim's gun to see if they match. The gun itself is no longer needed by the police since they should have chain of custody of the two bullets unless the PD or prosecutor is totally anal.

A good reason to have more than one gun IMHO. Unless the PD decides that the victim has this wicked tendency to shoot people who attempt to rob him, which as we all know is naughty, naughty, naughty, and want to confiscate all his guns.

I've read of at least one case of a SD shooting in which the investigating agency returned not only the shooter's weapon, but his spent brass (three cases) after the investigation. They were, after all, his property.
    (I don't think he got the actual bullets back, though )

Here in Stanislaus County (PRC) a number of years back an senior citizen (80+ widow) shot an intruder. The police confiscated her weapon and the Modesto Bee REPORTED THAT FACT so every criminal in the county would know she was unarmred. A couple of days later a letter appeared in the Bee stating that a concerned citizen had loaned the widow a .357 mag. until such time as the police returned her gun. Sounds good to me!
    Charter member PWU (Pud Whackers Unanimous!)

I've read of at least one case of a SD shooting in which the investigating agency returned not only the shooter's weapon, but his spent brass (three cases) after the investigation. They were, after all, his property.
    (I don't think he got the actual bullets back, though )
    I could see calling them abandoned. OTOH, I have heard of a deputy around here telling a criminal trespass suspect that if he cam back and the homeowner...uh...ballistically assisted him in leaving again with a shotgun, he'd be charged with stealing the pellets.