View Poll Results: What is the Most Gun Friendly Metro Area in the U.S. to Live?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Detroit

2 3.13%
  • Dallas

11 17.19%
  • Houston

12 18.75%
  • Atlanta

2 3.13%
  • Miami-Ft Ld

5 7.81%
  • Phoenix

25 39.06%
  • Minneapolis-St Paul

4 6.25%
  • Tampa-St Pete

3 4.69%
  • Cincinatti

1 1.56%
  • San Antonio

4 6.25%
  • Indianapolis

5 7.81%
  • Orlando

5 7.81%
  • Salt Lake City

18 28.13%
  • Memphis

3 4.69%
  • Jacksonville

4 6.25%
  • Oklahoma City

7 10.94%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll:What is the Most Gun Friendly Metro Area in the U.S to Live?

Poll:What is the Most Gun Friendly Metro Area in the U.S to Live?

The pickings are slim at the top of the chart as California,Chicago,D.C.,New England, and New York lead this population hit parade.Minimum population criteria:1 million.
    Vital stats come from:

http://www.neweconomyindex.org/metro/major_cities.html

Again the 16 max limit makes us leave out some contenders.Not making the cut:Philadelphia,Seattle,Cleveland,St.Louis,Kansas City,Norfolk,Las Vegas,New Orleans,Columbus,Pittsburgh,Nashville,Greensboro,Raleigh,Charlotte and Denver.
    Some arbitrary decisions had to be made.

Listed in order of Metro population.

Well, I've only lived in the Mpls./St.Paul Minnesota area for my whole life and it is moderately gun friendly. But what do I compare it to?
    The MOST gun friendly metro area is probably that little, tiny, unmapped island just off the Alaskan coast which almost no one knows (or cares) about. If I & a few gun-friendly buddies lived there, we'd call it "Metro" and it would be THEE most gun-friendly Metro in the USA.
    Last edited by MinnMooney; November 27th, 2008 at 01:40 AM. Reason: sp
    To all gun/shooting enthusiasts :
    "Support the ENTIRE Bill of Rights, not just the 2nd Amendment, every chance you get. If one amendment gets trounced on then the others will soon follow.

FYI, you made this a multi-option poll.

I'm going to go with Phoenix, mainly because the state of Arizona has pretty lax gun laws. Open carry is legal and common without a permit, which gets me around Arizona's ridiculous permit requirements.

Salt Lake would be my second choice, but requiring a permit to open carry? Disgusting. And Utah's permit requirements are just as bad as Arizona's and Florida's.

I don't consider Florida to be pro-gun, much less any metro area in Florida. Sure, Florida led the shall-issue charge, but their permit requirements are stringent, and there is no such thing as legal open carry in Florida.

Similar story with the Texas metros: I consider Texas' CHL requirements to be too strict, and there is no open carry. (There's some momentum to get the latter issue rectified, however.)

I hope you put Detroit on there as a joke.
    "It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire
    "Well, the Constitution has not yet been pregnant." - Gore Vidal
    "Freedom is terrifying to dependent personalities and their masters." - Standing Wolf

Its definitely not Detroit, those some of the Metro Area isn't so bad (at least it's shall issue).
    I'm such an Operator that Gecko45 has a poster of me on his wall.

Phoenix has merit and was my vote. VERY few no-guns signs. Any gov't building that disarms you has to have a checkbox on-site, hard-coded into law. Class3 is possible too.

About the only downside to AZ is no packing (open or concealed) at any place that serves alky - not even a Denny's or whatever. That kinda sucks. It's ignored a LOT of course, and so long as it's really concealed and you're not drinking or being a butthole odds are you won't catch flak.
    Jim March
    TFL Alumnus
    Equal Rights for CCW Home Page
    http://www.equalccw.com
    Airplane Pictures

I hope you put Detroit on there as a joke.
    You're a tough critic HungSquirrel,but thats what we need.No pandering PC,call those shots and let the chips fall.
    But we are very,very, limited to really good fertile gun ground in this poll.NC's vast list of OL areas,Pitt and Philly battling the state Constitution,Denver's Home Rule joke,Seattle's mayor of a joke.
    Cleveland,St Louis,Norfolk,KC,Columbus,Vegas and Nawlins constantly pushing the envelope.
    Get my drift?It's a dirty job but somebody had to do it!
    It should be interesting.I'll take all the barrages and will not duck for cover.
    I had a lot more problems in Santo Domingo.

You're a tough critic HungSquirrel
    As my legislators have come to understand.
    "Freedom is terrifying to dependent personalities and their masters." - Standing Wolf

As my legislators have come to understand.
    I can see that!
    Roll Tide and go Tigers!

Gotta be careful here.

Get it right: it's "War Eagle!" (Or, assuming you're in appropriate company and not near someone offended by mild expletives, "War DAMN Eagle!")

Of course, I don't watch much football, but you bet your posterior I'll be watching Saturday.

Voted Dallas and Phoenix based on lack of gun signs, laws, and generally perceived "gun friendliness" in the areas. No experience with the Florida metropolitan areas you listed, but I would be interested to hear some. Minneapolis seems to be the epicenter of the Minnesota anti movement with the Red Star being the banner bearer of liberalism in the state, so I am curious why anyone would vote for it as a gun friendly metro area, particularly given the better choices presented.
    In an emergency, people don't rise to the occasion, but are reduced to their level of training.
    -Barrett Tillman

My vote is for the Northern Virginia suburbs of Washington, DC. While DC and Maryland are 100% anti-gun, Virginia is just the opposite. We have total state pre-emption of gun laws, no waiting period for purchase, shall-issue CCW permits, and open carry allowed. Although Virginia still has the one-gun-a-month restriction on handgun purchases, if you have a CCW permit, you're exempt.

And unlike other "gun friendly" states, all class 3 items are legal (are ya listening, Old Dog?). And let me repeat what I said above: If you have a CCW permit, the one-handgun-a-month rule DOES NOT APPLY.

All in all, the state is VERY gun friendly, and a good place to live.
    Last edited by bigjohnson; November 28th, 2008 at 05:36 PM.

We have total state pre-emption of gun laws, no waiting period for purchase, shall-issue CCW permits, and open carry allowed. Although Virginia still has the one-gun-a-month restriction on handgun purchases, if you have a CCW permit, you're exempt.
    All in all, the state is VERY gun friendly, and a good place to live.
    These things ranked highly in my consideration to move to Va.
    I am now a happy resident of the state and OC every time I leave the house.

Jim

Bah. I protest. I've been to every single one of the cities the OP provides as poll choices, and it's my opinion that the greater Puget Sound area, in the great original shall-issue state, has a more entrenched pro-gun culture than many of the other cities listed.

Didn't make the cut? Obviously, you've never spent much time up here. Not withstanding the way the majority of King County votes, and Seattle's delusional Mayor Quimby, if you consider Seattle-Tacoma-Bremerton as one metropolitan area, we've got:

- full state pre-emption (RCW 9.41.290)
    - numerous gun clubs, gunshops, gun ranges,
    - a diehard hunting tradition,
    - two of the most active RKBA groups(SAF/CCRKBA) in the country,
    - one of the country's great arms collectors associations (WAC) with excellent gun shows,
    - a huge percentage of the citizenry maintaining CPLs (which are cheap with no training requirement),
    - very little no-gun signage anywhere,
    - no waiting period (w/CPL) and a longstanding tradition in the state of responsible firearms ownership.
    - no limit on how many guns you buy a month -- buy two, buy a hundred -- VA restricts you to one a month? Silly!
    - No class III/NFA, but growing recognition of legal open carry.

It's not nearly as bad up here as y'all think. But then, keep your preconceptions; it keeps all the rest of the Californians from moving up here. And having grown up in the area, I'd sure vote for Detroit over cities such as Orlando or Atlanta ... sheesh.
    Will

Everything I know about cops, their respect for the citizens of this country and its Constitution, as well as the state of policing in this country ... I learned from the Internet.

I lived in Tacoma for 3 years. Definetely quite a few donut shops but I didn't see any thing that struck me a "gun friendly"

I voted Phoenix ( Be great if you could get rid of the Potter's house) but only because Wasilla wasn't an option
    It is your dissatisfaction with what IS that is the source of all of your unhappiness. Matthew Scudder

- full state pre-emption (RCW 9.41.290) - numerous gun clubs, gunshops, gun ranges, - a diehard hunting tradition, - two of the most active RKBA groups(SAF/CCRKBA) in the country, - one of the country's great arms collectors associations (WAC) with excellent gun shows, - a huge percentage of the citizenry maintaining CPLs (which are cheap with no training requirement), - very little no-gun signage anywhere, - no waiting period (w/CPL) and a longstanding tradition in the state of responsible firearms ownership. - no limit on how many guns you buy a month -- buy two, buy a hundred -- VA restricts you to one a month? Silly! - No class III/NFA, but growing recognition of legal open carry.
    Well it must be nice.

We seem to think we have it pretty good too, you see Arizona is a free state.

State Preemption with no mayor of a large or small city/town ignoring the state preemption laws. Like in Seattle. Most of our Mayors follow the gun laws anyway.

Most folks in Arizona been known to pop a cap or two.

Officially any private anti weapon sign (not many) or establishment which serves alcohol are off limits. BUT! The way it is enforced by law is interesting. If I am found to have a weapon in either of those places, I must be told to leave. If I leave, no harm not foul. If I refuse to leave, I have committed a misdemeanor. If I take my weapon out to the Car, and lock it up there I can return.

AS to Class III/NFA fire at will, no problem, Arizona is a free State.

Oh yea, we have always had open carry. Not a problem.

Frankly Arizona has a long tradition as a pro gun state, and it shows

Also stays pretty warm in the winter, and a bit toasty in the summer. But it’s a dry heat. Unlike Alaska's and Vermont's blistering summers, to much humidity

Go figure.

Fred
    Semper Fi *** Stupid should hurt
    “To lead untrained men in to war, is to waste them.” - Confucious
    “We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality” - Ayn Rand

There's lotsa ways to look at a question like that. One thing to consider is the murder rate. The criminals aren't having any trouble getting firearms, how hard can it be? Places like Washington D.C, New Orleans, Detroit, Chicago, all are gun friendly if you are a criminal.

It's all in how you look at the data.

Unlike Alaska's and Vermont's blistering summers, to much humidity

Go figure.
    But Alaska has a hot Governor
    It is your dissatisfaction with what IS that is the source of all of your unhappiness. Matthew Scudder

I picked MIA/FLL because of the specificity of the question. It is easy as hell to get a carry permit in FL and you can -- and should -- carry constantly. I worked in MIA for a few years and always had something on me.

That being said, I wouldn't want to go there, and are, in fact, leaving the area because of the crime. Carrying a gun is all fine and dandy, but why go someplace that you are going to need it?

Reminds me of a question that comes up inevitably in every NRA Pistol course that I teach: What gun would you carry if you were going to a gun fight? The answer is simple: if I knew that I was going to a gun fight, I wouldn't go.

Well, I picked Indianapolis, just because I live here. Shall issue state, no quantity purchase restriction or waiting period, carry permit not limited to conceal carry (although open carry is not common), no training requirement. All-in-all not bad with the exception of being so close to the Republik of Illinois.

I picked MIA/FLL because of the specificity of the question. It is easy as hell to get a carry permit in FL and you can -- and should -- carry constantly. I worked in MIA for a few years and always had something on me.

That being said, I wouldn't want to go there, and are, in fact, leaving the area because of the crime. Carrying a gun is all fine and dandy, but why go someplace that you are going to need it?
    aj,we still have a long way to go but conditions are steadily improving,
    Miami in October had its first full month without a murder since 1966.
    Since the mid 1990's the South Florida crime rate has declined to almost 1970 levels.
    More Floridians than ever are packing ,close to 400,000.Criminals are quite aware of this fact.
    So consider returning.We've still got the weather and overall it is a fine place to live,IMO.

I'm going to go with Phoenix, mainly because the state of Arizona has pretty lax gun laws.
    There is no such thing as "lax gun laws." There are merely "less unconstitutional gun laws."

I guess my point was lost. I just don't think you can point to the "most gun-friendly metro area in the U.S. to live." It's all a trade-off, no matter where you are.

AZ is great (I've lived there, have family there, spend a lot of time there), but no carry in places that serve alcohol. VA (stationed there in the military) also has advantages, but seriously, one gun a month? But it's not just the actual laws that make one area more gun-friendly than others, it's history, tradition, climate, but mostly, the people who live there ...

And why some of you consider some states as gun meccas in spite of the prices, requirements, time it takes and hoops you've gotta go through for licenses, hmm -- if you don't want to factor in ease and costs of obtaining licenses, and where you can and can't carry, so be it.

I'm not gonna promote my state as anywhere near the most "gun-friendly" place to live -- frankly, I could care less what anonymous people on the internet believe -- but having actually lived or spent considerable time stationed (during my adult life) in states such as FL, AZ, VA, MI, HI, CA, WA, I know where my state stands. (And I'll still take Detroit over some of those other poll choices any day of the week -- if you haven't lived there, don't call it a joke, unless you're referring to the football team.)
    Will

Everything I know about cops, their respect for the citizens of this country and its Constitution, as well as the state of policing in this country ... I learned from the Internet.

HungSquirrel wrote: "Salt Lake would be my second choice, but requiring a permit to open carry? Disgusting. And Utah's permit requirements are just as bad as Arizona's and Florida's."

Actually, Utah's laws only require a permit to OC loaded. And their definition of "unloaded" means "loaded" in every other jurisdiction I know of. So, while it ain't Vermont (I am still a legal res of the Green Mountain State), it's not California either...

places here in nc arent too bad we have shall issue but u need a class open carry legal
    "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." --Sam Adams
    PAUL-NUGENT 2012
    USAF april 19th 2011-_____

Houston is smaller than Dallas? I'm surprised.

DFW is pretty dang gun friendly, I'm also surprised its not higher on the list.
    יזכר לא עד פעם (Remember. Never Again.)