Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buy American!

Buy American!

Patriotic and good for the economy?

A foolish waste of money?

Discuss.
    Semper Fi

I go out of my way to do it if there is any way to justify it.

I don't believe in supporting US manufacturers if it means gross violation of the rules of capitalism. That means the price/quality/value equation has to be within some distance of reality.

Only caveat there is with respect to cars and guns:

- cars: I only by American. Can't buy anything else, even if they are made in Georgia or Kentucky.

- guns: mostly American, but I do have German and Russian gear as well

Ultimately any gun you buy will benefit the economy since there's almost always an American middleman (or middlemen). I personally though am going to try to buy strictly American firearms (Ruger, Smith and Wesson and in the future hopefully a barrett) personally, but if there was an incredible gun that wasn't American made it wouldn't necessarily stop me from buying it.
    I'm such an Operator that Gecko45 has a poster of me on his wall.

What's American?

Products owned by an American firm but manufactured overseas? Made in the USA but owned by a foreign firm or must it be owned and made here? And what if parts of the product are sourced from a foreign company?

Stop worrying about it!

The more a country trades with another, the more prosperous both countries become. Jobs may switch locations, trade balances will fluctuated but there is no denying that trade equals prosperity and prosperity equals peace. People don't tend to war with people they do business with. It's not in their best interests to do so.

Buy what you want and sell what you can. Work hard and buy smart. And if your job is outsourced, be flexible and go to where the work is. Sorry Pat Buchannan, but protectionism has proven disastrous for economies time and time again. Free trade works, especially when combined with low taxes.

Free trade and low taxes mean MORE money in the government's hands. Restrict either and you'll get the opposite. Now if we could just get the government to stop wasting the money they do get...

I try to buy American, but there re times when you can't enven FIND something made in America outside of an antique shop. Anybody know of a toaster made in the US?
    "If it looks like a rabbit, and acts like a rabbit, it will be treated as such- prey for all predators.
    If it looks like a rabbit and bites like a rattlesnake, rabbits will be safer, and predators more reticent."

Are there any good AK's that are made by american manufacturers?

That's the main reason I won't buy AK's: I don't really feel like funding communist governments by buying their stuff.
    יזכר לא עד פעם (Remember. Never Again.)

until perhaps 15 years ago i tried to buy American. my business , selling furniture and electronics clued me to the fact that the Motorola tv's boldly say Made In America on the rear shell--it was however being assembled with parts from all over the world though the CASE was in fact made in America. clothing that said Made In AMERICA was actually from a small city/state in the far east that had legally made its name such.
    so as eflat and jimbo say, i agree.
    Teachers can learn ua the rules;
    Experience teaches you the exceptions

I prefer to buy local. That is kind of big here in Idaho. I have been complaining a lot lately about the 'crap' from China. Recently bought an oxygen regulator for a torch and after a day or so of use, its broken already 40 pound tank of compressed oxygen nearly empty after only a day or so. This is not a cutting torch, either - it's a small glass making torch for my wife.

Now, when it comes to large purchases, especially cars or electronics, I'm going for quality. If I'm going to spend a lot of my hard earned money, I'm going to get the best product that I can and I don't care where it was built.

I learned all about American cars vs. Japanese cars. My 01 Malibu had a bad engine after about 50,000 miles. My wife's Civic, on the other hand, was still going strong after over 200,000 with no break downs, only routine maintenance. That being said, I do love my Ford trucks.
    "Now, next time you think you wanna take somebody out pal, don't get yourself a good squad - get yourself a TEAM!" Col John "Hannibal" Smith - 'The A-Team'

I believe labeling a product "Made in USA" has some legal connotation with respect to the percentage of US content.

i.e. you might get away with playing a game with a T-shirt for a while but I don't think that would work with a TV.

We had a Buy American mandate in our municipality. That lasted until we learned the Crown Vic Police Interceptor was a Canadian product.

In general, I'd prefer to buy American, but if it's union-made, there's no way I'll bring it home.
    No tyrant should ever be allowed to die a natural death.

The factory may be in Canada, that doesn't make it a Canadian car.

It has to do with % content, I believe measured in $ value.

So if everything is made in US plants and it is assembled in Canada, the Canadian content might be less than 15% (I think that was the number) which makes it a US made car.

From what I remember it is a combination of tax laws, treaties, and other stuff - like 922r (sporter rifles)

The real question is, do the Hondas made in the south qualify as Japanese cars or American cars?

Well, for the most part, I don't pay alot of attention to where things are made.

Exceptions... I will never buy a new American made vehicle. I will never donate to the Auto Union's bottom line.

Other than that, bring it on... German Pistols.... American pistols.... Rifles from Italy...

Im a Global gun lover.
    Now, when I die, I hope it's like my grandfather, peacefully, in his sleep...not screaming like the passengers on his plane.

I had a choice between a Toyota, a BMW and a Chrysler, all marked at the same price but obviously not the same year. It struck me that we have been manufacturing to substandard levels for a long time. I bought the Chrysler which I still have and is still a fine vehicle with close to 100k on it now, but both BMW and the Toyota are such well manufactured vehicles, I still wonder if made the right choice.
    I do think that we need to renew all these trade agreements and renew the taxes and tariffs off imported anything, this will only strengthen our own economy. This includes goods manufactured by so called American companies overseas. Let them save on the manufacturing cost by manufacturing in India, then they will pay the extra tariff to bring their goods in, of course I'm not a self serving narcissistic politician so what do I know?

I try to buy whatever it is that I need/want, regardless of the item's nation of origin. As long as it's a quality product, its nationality usually isn't something I concern myself with.

The exception to that rule surfaces when dealing with foreign weapons that aren't common enough here in the States to have readily available (and affordable) spare parts and magazines. I just don't want to deal with the added hassle of finding rare parts whenever I need to repair a rifle.

The more a country trades with another, the more prosperous both countries become. Jobs may switch locations, trade balances will fluctuated but there is no denying that trade equals prosperity and prosperity equals peace.
    Well, that's econ101 but:

* It assumes that the only issues are economic. In the real world political, cultural and security issues can warp things dramatically. If a country is going to have things like environmental and labor laws then it's no longer clear that some protectionist measures aren't appropriate, especially if raw efficiency isn't your only priority.

* Free market economics assumes things like rationality, perfect knowledge, and low barriers to entry which not only don't exist in the real world but also seem to be at odds with the effeciencies of scale.

2112 for the win.

Go read A Capitalist Peace for a good explanation of how trade encourages peace. Go read a good econ textbook for an explanation of how specialization and trade benefit everybody involved.
    Be cruel. Make someone think.

Competition benefits everyone. By buying the best product at the best price, you ensure that all other Americans can also get good products at good prices.

Now, buying a shoddy, overpriced product just because it's made in American may benefit the company that made it and the workers who are employed by that company, but it also rewards them for poor workmanship and high prices, and hurts the rest of us.

If a foreign company makes a better product at a better price -- buy it. And send the message to American companies and labor, "Beat these guys in quality and price and I'll buy what you make. But not otherwise."

As far as cars go, I have personally seen first hand the kind of quality that Toyota and Honda demand from the manufacturers of the various parts that go into their vehicles/power equipment.

When the Toyota "Big Dogs" would show up (mind you that these guys have no idea what I am doing or how I am doing it) they could just point at me if they felt that I was not doing a good enough job and then I would be replaced with another worker to do the job, whether I was doing anything wrong or not.

Honda once sent 10,000 parts back to the company because 11 of them had "fingerprint rust" (from the fingerprints of individuals whose hands were wet while not wearing gloves when handling parts). Rejected all 10,000 parts due to 11 having surface rust on them. Amazing that they were willing to put themselves behind in order to deliver a quality product.

I do try to buy American when I can and I do whole heartedly agree with doing so. I own all American made guns....and will continue to buy American so long as I can.

3 In A Row

My last three purchases (Heritage Mfg. 22LR/Mag revolver, Jennings Arms JA-22 pistol and Ruger LCP pistol) were all, as far as I can tell, 100% US-made.

Although all of my firearms are US-made, I have no qualms about buying from abroad, as long as it's NOT from China. Won't buy from them, ever.

I want people to hire me. (carpenter) hard to do if they don't have a job. and I can't seem to get any jobs bid in india. So I make all reasonable efforts (and maybe a bit more) to buy american.

The part of this that burns my britches is when people complain about corporations sending jobs overseas. Its not them sending jobs overseas. Its us. When you buy something made out of the us you are sending a job away. If you think thats fine and it won't effect your job then its no problem. If you think a usa based customer base is important for you then maybe its not ok.

With the exception of two springfield XD's, and my Mosin Nagants (M44, 91/30 and Finn M39) all of my guns are made in the good old USA . .even my Lee Enfield. (Savage No4 Mk1. ) I did have a CZ 452 in the safe but my buddy just bought it off of me.

Of the four weapons I've bought new, half are American. The other two are highly recommended and a bargain.

I dunno.
    Is Glock American? (Made in Smyrna GA). Beretta? SIG?

What about New England Arms shotguns? (Made in China).
    And the NE Arms are actually better than the Remington 870s they are copies of. Mossberg? All their barrels are made in China. Remington? They buy all their barrels from Mossberg.
    I agree with Vern Humphries, buy the best gun for the money and encourage competition.

I don't care a bit where anything I buy comes from. I choose products based on quality and value, not nationality. If American companies want my business all they need to do is produce the best product at the best price, just like anyone else. I'm not running a charity for inefficient businesses.
    "Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place." - Frederic Bastiat, The Law