Thread: Strong Medicine for Those Who Believe 2A to be the Sole Province of the Right Wing

Strong Medicine for Those Who Believe 2A to be the Sole Province of the Right Wing

The School on Heart's Content Road

Like a ferocious bulletin from an alternate universe — tumbling, pell-mell, brilliant and strange — comes this explosive and discomfiting fifth novel by Carolyn Chute. Form doesn’t just follow feeling in these pages, it chases it helplessly with a butterfly net, casting about in multiple directions, sometimes succeeding, sometimes failing. But watching Chute miss what she’s after is more interesting than watching a lesser, better behaved writer catch tidier prey.

“The School on Heart’s Content Road” is as idiosyncratic as it is engaging. A mytho-poetics of the Second Amendment isn’t exactly common in modern American literary fiction. But neither is the depiction of contemporary American poverty: of the slow, relentless grind of never quite having enough, of the leaching of hope and ambition from those for whom a job at Wal-Mart is a rare opportunity, of the impossible double-bind choices made by the poor every day. This is a beautiful novel, a polemical novel, a messy novel. It’s a love song to a part of America that doesn’t have much of a voice, and is armed. Chute is such an extra*ordinary, vivid, empathic writer that it would be tempting to swoon into the love and overlook the bullets. To do that, however, would also be to dim the considerable power here: if the despair and the tenderness are real, so are the guns.
    Liberty will not descend to a people. The people must raise themselves to Liberty.
    -Emma Goldman

That the people have a right to bear arms for the defence of themselves and the State - and as standing armies in time of peace are dangerous to liberty, they ought not to be kept up; and that the military should be kept under strict subordination to and governed by the civil power.
    -Article 16th, The Vermont Constitution

OK. And...............?
    Enfield shooter and accumulator
    Proud Father of a US Army Soldier

Form doesn’t just follow feeling in these pages, it chases it helplessly with a butterfly net, casting about in multiple directions, sometimes succeeding, sometimes failing.
    As usual with the NYT, they think their take on something is more important than the thing itself.

If I were to review the review: "It manages to overcome a self-conscious neo-elitist opacity, fusing unmistakable post-adolescent ennui and pseudo-intellectual toniness, yet balancing it all with just enough deconstruction so as not to underscore its impressive, distilled vapidity."

Huh?
    "Little Bill, I thought you were dead." "Hell, I thought I was dead myself, until I realized I was just in Nebraska".

The 'leader' of the 2nd Maine Militia, is a no winger, but a touch more right than left. And a funny writer to boot.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
    Robert A. Heinlein

yet balancing it all with just enough deconstruction so as not to underscore its impressive, distilled vapidity
    Heh, good one!
    Eloi-- Tastes Like Chicken

Good find. I'm afraid that the reviewer is too clever by half. Check out Amazon for a review that makes sense.

Blue River Wisconsin, in a little hut in the woods
    That is the kind of review you get when you are paid by the word and all of your wife's friends are artiste's.
    1934 National Firearms Act, 1968 The Gun Control Act, 1986 Firearms Owners Protection Act, 1993 Brady Handguns Violence Act, 1994 Assault Weapons Ban, 1995 Gun Free School Zones Act, NO MORE COMPROMISING

Loosedhorse,

Your review of the review had me in stitches, it is the best piece of writing I've read all day. Thank you!
    Bayou Rifles, Inc.

"Retractable claws - the *original* concealed carry"

And that's the kind of rebuttal one gets from persons who believe that plurals should be apostrophized and disdainfully use the French, when the word exists in English.

The 'leader' of the 2nd Maine Militia, is a no winger, but a touch more right than left. And a funny writer to boot.
    Yeah? Can you introduce me to her?
    Liberty will not descend to a people. The people must raise themselves to Liberty.
    -Emma Goldman

That the people have a right to bear arms for the defence of themselves and the State - and as standing armies in time of peace are dangerous to liberty, they ought not to be kept up; and that the military should be kept under strict subordination to and governed by the civil power.
    -Article 16th, The Vermont Constitution