Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My "Black Friday" Experience

ND Resident, Stationed in NC, Deployed Overseas

My "Black Friday" Experience

Howdy, folks.
    Let me tell you about my "Black Friday." It starts off with stopping by Harbour Freight and getting an unexpected surprise. OC Spray for 9 dollars and finger pad gun Safes for $100. We didn't get quick safe since we have one but I told my wife it's HIGH on my list for another. We picked some OC...more on that later.
    Lots of shopping in between *exhausted*.
    We go into K-Mart. As we go thru the toy section, I ask my almost 2 year old what she wants. She tells me "When I get bigger I want a pow-pow." Daddy's heart is tickled pink. We go through the toy shelves and right next to the clearance isle but away from the toys are the toy guns. I find a small M-16 with a flashlight mounted under it. I ask her if that's the kind of toy pow-pow she wants. She told me, "Daddy, that looks like the kind you pow-pow bad guys in Iraq." When I tell her thats what daddy carries, she tells me it's the one she wants. It's cool too, it's got a flashlight and 4 sounds on it...when I was a kid, we had to use electric tape (duct tape left residue) and a real flashlight...and for only ten bucks. The cool thing is that she knows that she can only point it at the TV or at a wall that daddy says is okay so she won't point it at other people (marking those rules for later).

1. My oldest turns 3 in February and by the responsibility with toy guns and egarness to shoot real guns should put her well on the track of getting a .22lr cricket before Kindergarten
    2. Does anyone know the laws for OC Spray in VA, NC, and on military bases?
    3. I'm so glad my oldest is already into responsible gun ownership.
    Yes, I'm a grown man that loves My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Got a problem?

No shopping here. I am planning on some 9mm ammunition for my new Glock though. ; . )

My husband works on holidays and other holiday 'weekends' unless those days FALL ON his day off or he is on vacation. (24/7 job - things don't shut down!)

I hate his schedule but it is HIS schedule not mine!

It is not like my late husband's schedule, except for military/overseas time, or even my past working schedule for other people and in my 'self employment years'. I am retired now so I 'wing it' with my groom for things to do. He does his thing, I do my thing and WE do our thing. Sunday is the last day of hunting except in some other parts of Montana. The season was extended.

I wanted to go to a gun show but by the time we get there on Sunday... it will almost be closed. Plus he plans on hunting for the last day - I encourage that BIG time!

Catherine
    Closed Account

North Central Montana, across the Wide Missouri
    No shopping for me, I have avoided this day for over 50 years and will continue to do so. Good day at the loading bench.

Got some Simple Green for gun cleaning.
    "It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire
    "Well, the Constitution has not yet been pregnant." - Gore Vidal
    "Freedom is terrifying to dependent personalities and their masters." - Standing Wolf

"Got some Simple Green for gun cleaning."

Huh? Simple Green is good for cleaning guns?
    Charter member PWU (Pud Whackers Unanimous!)

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Snort View Post
    "Got some Simple Green for gun cleaning."

Huh? Simple Green is good for cleaning guns?
    Biodegradable, 100% earth friendly and cuts grease better than most toxic cleaners.

Henry 22 lever for 200 from Bi Mart.

It's good on a lot of fouling. I think it may have some ammonia in it too...
    Resume available upon request.
    Have good references.
    Can pass any number of drug screens.

Be careful using Simple Green on aluminum.

Be careful using Simple Green on aluminum
    The older formula was the problem. I've heard it has been corrected. I use it on aluminumall the time with no ill effects.

It is a common cleaner for o2 cleaning the inside of alum. scuba tanks.

I got off work at 7am and the traffic as I drove past the mall was incredable. I went straight home, had breakfast with my lady and went to bed. I avoid crowds and the Black Friday sales are the last places I want to go. I will get out tommorrow after work and put some first of the month bills in the mail then go right back home. I'm not holiday shopping this year. I'm following Dave Ramsey's advice and putting every dollar I can into getting out of debt. I'm doubeling up on car payments and getting my visa card paid off too. Come hard times i'll be better prepared by not having to fear bill collectors harrassing me.

On Thanksgiving night I worked out to work off some of the calories.

While doing some two-armed bent-over dumbbell rows, something popped in my lower back. I rested, then finished the workout.

I went to bed around midnight, but couldn't sleep due to sharp back pain manifesting every time I turned over.

By 5 am on black Friday morning, I could barely walk.
    With pain, I slid out of bed around noon (had the day off),
    unabashedly crying out in agony repeatedly from sharp shooting pains
    when I moved the wrong way. It became a learning process about how to avoid pain.

By late afternoon, after a lot of gentle stretching, some heat applied to the lower back, and a slow bike ride, I was better.

Now, I'm still a bit stiff, but will be OK.

I think I'll stick to single-arm dumbbell rows from now on, or if I do two-armed ones, I'll use less weight.

I had no intention of shopping today. Never do.

At least one was trampled to death by early shoppers ... er, greedy savages.

I find it surprising that the TV news media don't seem to understand the deeper dimensions of that event.
    _________

Levers, wheels, blades & sticks

that area is only about 5 min from me... the mall in the area is usually where people die, but from gangs, not gangs of shoppers.

I see the deeper problem with this, and know i will avoid valley stream if nessary, haha

Nema,

Holy moly!

I hope that you will be better soon. Ouch!

My 'dumb bells' are small hand weights. Some of my books weigh more than the hand weights.

Do you have a swimming pool that you can use or a hot springs place near you?

I have screwed up my back (Not talking about my 'fall', roll, and left arm/hand - broken bones, etc.) by pulling and lifting maple, oak, spruce and pine tree limbs after they were cut and other outdoor work. I did that back DEAL with moving furniture too. I can push and slide stuff on wood or tile floors but NOT lift items as I used to. No more bulk 50 pound bags of dry dog food when I get another German Shepherd... unless someone else LIFTS it or if it is on a 'cart' where I can wheel it to the dog food 'kitchen place' section of my home.

Get yourself a good back massage plus the other things that you are doing. Use some strong pain ointment but don't put a heating pad on your skin if you have that pain cream or lotion on your skin.

If you can take aspirin... do that too. Get well soon!

Cate
    Closed Account

EDIT: I got the purple smile thing off. Nema, thank you!

Quote:

I find it surprising that the TV news media don't seem to understand the deeper dimensions of that event.
    ~~~~~

Nema, I was thinking of writing a long post about this on another board but held back. Some others who were online before I was spoke about this on that forum. You took the words out of my mouth. I spoke to my sister, long distance, and I used the words greedy animals and savages among some other choice words/thoughts about SOCIETY in general and the 'mass media'!

Less is more. There is a group of people who deliberately don't BUY on this day. I can't think of the name now. The crowds would drive me NUTS! If you have to 'work' it because of your job description that is one thing or if you work in a 'money room' and audit deal... the FLOOR with clerks and shoppers would be crazy. Barely enough room to BREATHE.

May that dead man rest in peace. (I actually listened to some AM radio about this tragic event and some ANTI gunners who called in about the 'overseas' mess in India. I had to turn it off when I heard about those EVIL GUNS aka objects instead of blaming EVIL people who come in all flavors, 'religions' (?!?) and politics not just what the press says. UGH.)

Take care,

Cate
    Last edited by Catherine; November 30th, 2008 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Edit - smile removed.
    Closed Account

I worked, a delivery driver. I got to dodge thoughtless drivers all day. We would all be much safer if more carefull people carried weapons rather than drive. they are not so carefull behind the wheel.

My Black Friday will be Christmas week when I am Home in Central Missouri and back up at the loading dock at Graf and Sons and then down the road to the Midway loading dock
    It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men....

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I did, today, what I normally do on Fridays I have off; nothing. (ooooh, I got to use a semi-colon)

I dislike large throngs of agitated people who all seek a limited amount of resources. My better half woke up at 0430 to buy a few things on the web from stores that offered BF deals there and then went back to bed. I just watched Food Network and layed about.

I did go get some wings from a local shop but it was at 2200 so the noise was less than the signal.

Watching the footage of the "trampling" event led me and my better half to some interesting discussion. Even more interesting, to me, were the conclusions.

You can't really predict the actions of a crowd.
    People should avoid people*
    People are animals given the proper stimulus
    The hierarchy of needs changes drastically when you introduce status ...
    ect..

*strangers, in groups.
    His pistol butts a-twinkle, his rapier hilt a-twinkle-Alfred Noyes
    As much as I would like the criminal scumbags to stay in their own areas, it would be a violation of their civil rights to demand they do so.-Mainsail
    It all changed about the same time "He needed killing." ceased to be an affimative defense.-Wiley
    In essence, anyone with the business accumen to run a gun store with sterling organization and customer service also has the business accumen to not get into the gun business in the first place.-AJ Dual

I find a small M-16 with a flashlight mounted under it.
    Right next to that should have been another type that comes in a pump-shotgun, bolt-rifle, or break-action double barrel. Those have the shells that you load and the action cycles them, and a more basic sound effect. That one's my personal favorite, but hey, if the little girl wants the EBR, go for it!!!

I was fortunate. I only had to go in at 2pm yesterday, so I missed the rush. I just had to spend the day cleaning up after it and prepping for the next day. After spending four days straight setting up for and cleaning up after sales, I'm glad to have today off.
    The worst things happen at the most critical times, and it's these moments that YOU need to be flawless, not the gun.

Years of Communist oppression have made the Mosin Nagant impervious to physical damage.

+1 Catherine. I was thinking about it on the way home last night and realized something that, if not scary, then should at least be a wake-up call.

The whole Black friday thing reminds me of that Star Trek episode where they land on this peaceful planet, but on the one day a year where anarchy reigns supreme and everyone's out to kill one another.
    While I'm not implying some government run population control method, I found it striking that we've gotten to the point where such anarchy isn't just accepted, it's expected and even revelled in.
    The worst things happen at the most critical times, and it's these moments that YOU need to be flawless, not the gun.

Years of Communist oppression have made the Mosin Nagant impervious to physical damage.

We only go to town a couple times a month, and it sure wasn't yesterday
    Governments don't live together. People live together.

My local Target was fairly tame at 9 am yesterday, had to go get batteries.
    was in and out in less than 10 minutes, mostly because the 10 items or less lanes were barren.
    "Lenin at least had an excuse for his mindlessness: he died of syphillis." - Standing Wolf
    "Remember, Remember The Fifth of November!"
    "It's not my Goal in life to be appropriate."

Our Wal-Mart was quiet. I had to pick up a few items and at 7pm that wasn't a problem. In the early am hours a clerk told me the lines were around the store.

The local paper said one door was broken and one lady knocked down and trampled to some extent but managed to get up and out of the way at the local Wal Mart. Didn't know that we were that uncivilized in this part of the US.

I stayed home and smoked a brisket. At least I was doing something constructive. I'm not goofy enough to take part in something like "Black Friday".

Not enough denarii here to do the Black Friday thing.
    "Whom have I in heaven but you
    And beside you I desire nothing on earth." --PS 73

I went to work at midnight friday morning and had to work 12 hours. Then went back into work at midnight friday night, only 9 hours last night.
    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them..........George Mason

To Obama, all I can say is... ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ