Thread: HD Weapon with kids

HD Weapon with kids

What, where, how do you store your home defense weapon(s) with children in the house? My oldest is six and I have taught him about out guns, how dangerous they are and he has shot the .22. I plan on getting a pistol soon as my quick go to gun until I can get my other weapons and ammo together in the event that I need them. How would you store the pistol to get to it and be ready to fire quickly? I would also like it stored in a way that my wife can get to it quickly if I am not home. A good friend who has grown kids said he just introduced them to guns early and basically kept his HD pistol loaded in a place they did not know about. Your thoughts?
    Thanks

Jahwarrior said: I could've given them my ID, but I am right, and obstinate about being so. so, yes,I could've ended it by just cooperating, but that would have hypocritical, lazy, and cowardly.

My kids 5 & 7 know where all of my guns are locked up. Anytime they want to see one I open the safe and pull one out. My HD gun is in a gunvault with the pushbutton finger grooves. Quickly and easily accessed in the dark.

my guns dont have kids
    The Big Bang came from the muzzle blast of God's Colt BP revolver. He wanted to test out the gun that made all men equal before he created man in the first place.

My real HD gun is in my pocket (concealed carry) until I go to bed - then it's under the pillow for the night, where I can reach it in an instant.

My wife handles her gun the same way.

We also keep lots of ammo for both in the bedroom.

For "doomsday" backup we have an AK in the bedroom closet, with a 30-round loaded magazine attached. Our bedroom has a standard (outdoor-type) locking knob, and we keep it locked when we're not in it.

Our kids are familiar with guns and get regular practice and training from me (they love their 22 auto rifle), but are usually wary of stronger guns. They are so careful and so old now (16 & 13) that I really don't worry about them misusing guns or handling them inappropriately.
    With guns, we are citizens; without them we are subjects!

Funny you should ask.

The wife and I are re-doing the bedroom. Real pain, but...

I just yesterday gave our contractor the specs for a small built-in cabinet. Will hold the shotgun just at the right height. Drawers for ammo, pistols, too. Will probably keep the fire extinguisher, etc. there also: one-stop-shopping for all middle of the night problems!

The cabinet will have a locking door. I unlock it at bedtime, lock it during the day.

Now, I just need to figure out how to safely store the key....

I really don't worry about them misusing guns or handling them inappropriately
    my cousin was 16 when he sent a .22 through the walls of his house. didnt hit anything but broke a mirror and his pride. oh, well he is also a complete moron.
    The Big Bang came from the muzzle blast of God's Colt BP revolver. He wanted to test out the gun that made all men equal before he created man in the first place.

Thanks for the input everyone. Loosedhorse I like the idea of unlocking a cabinet at night and then just locking it in the morning when I get up. I've also been thinking about one of those finger groove safes as mentioned.
    Thanks

There are numerous rapid-access pistol safes out there, many of which are inexpensive. Types range from push button mechanical locks to push button electronic combination locks to biometric fingerprint reading safes. The best deal I've seen on one is the DAK SportSafe for $55 at Wal-Mart. Of course, that was a year ago or so, so you may want to check price & availability.

Now, I just need to figure out how to safely store the key...
    I prefer combination locks. Hard for the kids to accidentally find the key.
    "They're going to legislate us to Heaven, whether we want to go or not." - My Dad

Everyone is someone else's whack-job.

Perserverance is a virtue, unless you're an idiot.- Wes Janson

I would leave the gun in plain sight - curiosity killed the cat, you don't want it killing your kids. I'd leave it loaded, but without a round in the chamber. If they're strong enough to chamber a round, they're old enough to learn not to play with the gun. If they're not strong enough to chamber a round, they can't shoot anything.

Unloaded chamber

The only problem of leaving a loaded gun with an unloaded chamber is that 3rd parties may be strong enough to load the chamber.
    NRA Member
    Lifetime Libertarian - since 1975
    Vote like your freedom depended on it - Vote Libertarian
    "The lesser of two evils is still evil." - Ron Paul

I would leave the gun in plain sight - curiosity killed the cat, you don't want it killing your kids. I'd leave it loaded, but without a round in the chamber. If they're strong enough to chamber a round, they're old enough to learn not to play with the gun. If they're not strong enough to chamber a round, they can't shoot anything.
    You're assuming too much.

My oldest son was huge for his age and strong for his size both. By 18months he would take apart the covers over the baseboard hot water system and pulled the folding leg off my sewing machine's freearm cover -- defeating a piece of spring steel that is not meant to be disassembled at all and which should require an adult to use a tool to remove.

My current 3yo is nearly as strong. He can pull the triggers on the cap guns, (triggers are heavy as DD's Hi-Standard revolver in double action), and knows that you're supposed to cock it first by pulling the hammer back.

Additionally, somewhere back in the archives there is a thread about the sad case of a small child who killed himself by finding a semi-auto and using his body weight on the edge of a nightstand to chamber a round. Scars on the nightstand showed that he'd tried repeatedly.

You ABSOLUTELY CANNOT trust a child to be unable to physically operate a gun. Kids are stronger and more ingenious than most adults give them credit for being.
    3KB

"When confronted by a hungry wolf, it is unwise to goad the beast... But it is equally unwise to imagine the snarling animal a friend and offer your hand..." - Cicero

Simple I have had 4 kids grow up under my roof and I had loaded weapons in the house. And my solution was to keep my weapons in the bed room of my my 1st wife and I the door to the room was always locked. We had keys they didn't. The door still stays locked even though they are 20,15,13,17. Their friends are always over and it is the last thing I want on my concise to know one of my loaded guns were used in the accidental killing of a kid.

Clinging to my guns and religion, smalltown America
    How would you store the pistol to get to it and be ready to fire quickly?
    Carry it on your person is the easiest way.

A good friend who has grown kids said he just introduced them to guns early and basically kept his HD pistol loaded in a place they did not know about. Your thoughts?
    They might, even if you really are good about teaching them gun safety, assume it's unloaded. Don't do it, or at least keep the chamber empty.
    The most dangerous north American land animal is the RINO

Administrator   
    If I'm awake and not legally encumbered I'm carrying, the hip allows me to have my handgun under my immediate control and immediate access should it be necessary. If you need a firearm in your house you most likely will it VERY badly and right now and will not have time to go get one.

My wife and I both have bed side GunVault mini safes, they are great for preventing kids from getting at handguns. A determined attacker could open it but it well constructed for what it is, certainly more so than cheaper alternatives.

You can leave the gunvault door open at night for immediate access if you want to so it gives the same access as a night stand while keeping little fingers away during the day.

I've been carrying since the day my, now 3yr old, was born. I have either PT92 Taurus, or a Glock 26 handy at all times, The Glock usually in a holster on me during the day, and the Taurus on the nightstand at night.

All other firearms are under lock. Handguns in a safe in the bedroom, long guns in a safe downstairs.

My little one knows not to touch a firearm if she finds one. Not that I leave them around, but you never know what kids find nowadays, once she goes to school. I tested it a few times, leaving an empty gun on a table or floor, and having her accidentally find it. Man, the last time she was lecturing me for almost an hour, and then told mommy on me. It was just a safe test to see what she would do.

I do clean the firearms in front of her, showing her that it is nothing more than a tool that has to be maintained. She likes looking at them, especially the older design ones, but wouldn't touch them. She does not like the newer "black" rifles.
    Oh, and she has been trying to convince mommy that they should buy me a new one for Christmas.

I think it is important to set firm rules, be conscious of your own behavior, and not be careless. It is also important to demystify firearms.

I am more concerned with what she might be exposed to at school.

I have a small keypad-operated gun safe next to my bed with a 1911 in it.

In the bedroom closet is a larger gun safe with a 12-gauge shotgun.

When I am awake, at damn close to all times, I am carrying (depending on dress) either a Glock 30, or S&W 640 -- sometimes both.

Carrying on my person means the weapons are instantly accessible in the event of a home invasion, and non-accessible by children.
    Too many people {trade} rights {for} morality. I am certain that everyone here wants to live in a moral society. But, if you are going to live in a free society, you have to be willing to let people corrupt themselves. -- paraphrased from Sheik Yerbouti

I, also, have a GunVault that stays by my bedside. All other guns stay locked in a steel cabinet unless I'm actually carrying them.

DO NOT TAKE CHANCES WITH KIDS AND GUNS!!! Kids are always smarter than you think, and the needless loss of a child and spending time in prison for criminally negligent homocide don't sound like a good time to me...

First and foremost... teach your children the meaning of the word NO.
    Most kids now dont understand that word.
    We have 3 kids, 11, 12, and 14.
    The guns are kept in our bedroom, loaded.
    The kids are allowed to handle any of the guns at any time they wish... as long as they ask.
    There is no mystery to them, they shoot them at the range, they clean them afterwards, they help with the reloading for them.
    Kids in this country, up until "modern times", have always had guns.
    At least in the more rural areas.
    They would take their guns out, many times alone or with friends, and bring back meat for the home.
    Kids have not changed, what and how they are taught has changed.
    Teach them right.

Jim

First and foremost... teach your children the meaning of the word NO.
    AMEN!

And have an honest enough evaluation of your kid to know if he/she is rebellious enough to do things regardless of the "NO" or even because of the "NO."

Some kids will -- they take extra time and effort to raise into responsible citizens.

The same sort of caution actually goes for the extremely compliant ones too -- who may be vulnerable to peer pressure in a way their stubborn and defiant siblings are not and who get into trouble that way.

Teach them discipline and be willing to understand that you're not raising angels and you should, as a parent, be able to find a balance that suits your family.
    3KB

"When confronted by a hungry wolf, it is unwise to goad the beast... But it is equally unwise to imagine the snarling animal a friend and offer your hand..." - Cicero