Thread: It's Muzzloader Season in Eastern Washington

It's Muzzloader Season in Eastern Washington

Or it was recently. Since this was my first deer, I naturally had to write about it. It was taken with a Lyman Deerstalker, which is about the perfect sort of rifle for a tree stand, IMO, or where shots are taken at close range. Here's the full account;
    http://blog.joehuffman.org/2008/11/2...ashington.aspx

Great write up Omnivore... Congrads on the Deer.
    That plate of pan fried liver looked mighty invitin' to me...
    I like it Rare! Or at least warm...

SG
    "I Smoke Black Powder" "Favor 1858 NMA Remington"
    Mosby's Rangers 43rd Virginia Cavalry C.S.A.
    SASS# 19634

The two deer and one elk I have gotten with a ML had virtually no meat loss but they were gotten with a 58cal rifled musket using a big, slow minie. So far, I have yet to recover the lead. I think your ball is going fast enough to ruin some meat. Nothing wrong with fast. I have hunted in timber and I like to hit bones so the game goes down. In an open country like the Palouse (I went to WAZOO) tracking or trailing would be easier as you can watch them farther. Hey, great narrative! Thanks.

Hellgate; Yeah, the ball might have ruined meat if it hit any. After the full autopsy it turns out the ball first hit one rib, severing it, then went through a lung, grazed the heart opening one chamber, passed through the other lung and out through another rib severing it. The only meat damaged was in the ribs. We keep that meat for smoking (very tasty-- fatty but tasty, like bacon) so we did lose just a little bit of that. I trimmed away the damaged portion of the heart and kept the rest of that also.

That was a lot more penetration than has herein been described by others, but it was a very hot load and the range was super short. I'd worked up that load from the bench at 100 yards using Pyrodex RS. When I tried real black, the MV was a bit lower, resulting in a lower POI at 100, but at 20 yards or less you'd never know the difference.

The only meat damaged was in the ribs. We keep that meat for smoking..........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    kaleem