Thread: BOB TINGLE GUNS OF THE '50s

BOB TINGLE GUNS OF THE '50s

Am still looking for info on any surviving guns (especially the .44 single-shot pistol) made by Bob Tingle of Shelbyville, Indiana. Many of today's frontstuffers may recognize the Tingle name from a copy which came out of Italy after Bob's untimely death a few decades ago.

Below is a picture of one of his guns I managed to obtain several months ago. It's the one-and-only I've ever seen come up for auction online. I believe there's an Italian copy being offered right now on one of the major auctions.

I would especially like to find one I bought from Bob back in the '50s along with one of his walnut shoulder stocks for it. As best I can recall, the serial number on that outfit was #25.

Best regards ~ ~ ~ 45B

Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons. ---General George S. Patton, Jr.

I have heard of them a long time ago. Never saw one in person or payed much attention tho. Are they based on a Dragoon ?

Sorry, but I really don't know where Bob got his ideas of design in his guns. He made a really mixed bag of long guns: underhammer, side hammer, center hammer, etc., but as far as I know, this was his only pistol. Now it's been copied even down to being CALLED a Tingle .44 by the manufacturer! It's even printed on the box that was in the auction ad I mentioned.

Best regards ~ ~ ~ 45B
    Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons. ---General George S. Patton, Jr.

Dixie Gun Works had that pistol in heir catalog last time I looked; I think the basis for the frame was a Navy Colt with a squareback triggerguard.
    "What's good for me might not be good for the weak-minded."- Augustus McRae

Seems you folks are more interested in what guns Bob might have copied from than the fact that this guy was a small town gun nut who started making guns on a commercial basis when BP was just beginning to gain some intense interest in this country. This was the days when the NMLRA was just forming up in a cornfield at a farm out on the outskirts of Bob's town, Shelbyville. Before the NMLRA moved to another small IN town.

Here's a pic of a Tingle underhammer design, with .45 AND .50 cal barrels. I don't remember where I found it on the web so can't give anyone credit for the pic. Too bad they didn't include the rest of the barrel. I also found a pic of one of Bob's sidehammers.

So, it's early 1950s when he was operating. So, who other than the OLD timer muzzleloader builders did Bob copy this one from?

Best regards ~ ~ ~ 45B

found Bob Tingle gun

Thought you might be interested to know that there is a Bob Tingle gun listed on gunbroker for sale.

GB Tingle is different from my early one

Thanks for the heads-up on that Tingle on GB, saynotoguncontrol. I placed the first bid on it, but it's not really something I want. I collect single-shot .22rfs. My Tingle pistol is his FIRST design and MUCH lower serial number than the gun on GB. My first Tingle pistol from the 1950s was SN 25 and had matching numbered, detachable walnut buttstock.

Best regards ~ ~ ~ 45Broomhandle
    Last edited by 45Broomhandle; August 28th, 2009 at 04:12 PM. Reason: text correction

bprevolver, do you remember HOW it was stamped? Every gun I've seen which Bob made personally, has roughly the same kind of stampings as mine. Here is a photo of my stampings.

Best regards ~ ~ ~ 45Broomhandle

Tingle

PM sent on available Tingle Muzzle Loader

Tingle Handgun

My father had a Tingle hand gun he used for shooting competition years ago. He also got the rifle barrel and shoulder stock attachment for it. I'm wondering what the gun would be worth today? He made a set of grips out of wood to fit his hand so the original hand grips are gone. I'm not sure if I still have the pistol barrel either I'd have to check. Thanks for any input.