Thread: Romanian 7.62X25 T33

Romanian 7.62X25 T33

In a knee jerk response to the election of The Anointed One, I ordered a couple thousand rounds of 7.62X25 because it was some of the cheapest stuff out there. Then I needed something to shoot it from, so I acquired a Romanian T33 from an auction site.

All in all, I'm pretty impressed with both the round and the pistol. Other than the funky aftermarket safety, the pistol seems to be top quality. I deepened the rear sight notch and filed the top of the sight down, then drifted it left a smidge in it's dovetail to get the pistol shooting to point of aim at 25 yards. What came as a surprise to me was when I was plinking with it and started shooting at some targets of opportunity at about 100 yards. There was hardly any apparent bullet drop. I know on paper drop would have been obvious, but when I'd shoot at a spot on a mud bank, I'd hit amazingly close to it most of the time.

Maybe there are others out there who, like me, never seriously considered owning one of the T33s for whatever reason. It's really impressed me, to my surprise, and maybe in light of the times, others might want to buy one of the less expensive pistol/ammo combinations while they still can.

That will be my next purchase. I have a CZ-52 and like it but the T33 is easier on the hand to shoot. I like the round.

Oh, that reminds me. Now that the Messiah's on his way to the Holy City, I need to pick up another spam can of x25. Thanks for the reminder.
    Yes, I'm a grown man that loves My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Got a problem?

I'm with Hoosier8. Had a CZ52, couldn't take the sharp edges and sold it. I like the cartridge though and wouldn't mind having a Tokarev.
    There are two kinds of people in the world: (1) the free; and (2) food animals.

-Aristodemus

I had heard the Polish ones were the ones to look for and spotted one several years ago at a show so it came home. Only problem I have had was the sear broke (kinda dangerous) and I needed a new one. It was tough getting the part. I finally ordered it for the gunsmith who didn't seem too interested. I got it from a place in Canada which meant it stayed in customs a week or more before being released. These are very fun guns that I would feel confident using defensivley. The bottleneck cartridge sends those bullets humming with an appreciable bang and impressive fireball. Shoot one at dusk and put on a show -but always use hearing protection. I like the grips 'skinniness' and it is much better fit for most hands than the very wide CZ52. The thinness does not make it uncomfortable like say a 1911 w/o a beavertail. The all steel heft soaks up most recoil because the bullets are a fraction of the weight if those in larger bore pistols. What recoil it does have amounts to nothing more than plain fun. It carries comfortably and, for example, could easily squeeze in between the drivers \ passenger seat crease if needed at the ready. This is the fastest shooting pistol I have ever used. You can cycle through a clip in no time. Trigger is ...well....utilitarian and can get to you in extended sessions but the gun is very comfortable to shoot otherwise.

The Land of Northern Hospitality and Southern Efficiency
    I have two of these pistols:
    1 of the Romanian ones, got it right when they came out and paid too much for it. I don't care, it's one of my favorite plinkers. Only thing I hate is the added safety, but then again it's here and in my safe.

1 of the Russian ones, minus the safety. It's got a different set of bakelite grips that are geared more toward "real" shooting.

I like the Romanian surplus ammo. It's good, solid stuff.
    Move along move along. Nothing to see here.

The CZ52 is good, has a "normal" safety and is much less expensive right now, but magazines are hard to find and fairly pricey when you do.

While the TT33 costs more initially mags are cheap and plentiful $8-10 each from a variety of vendors like SOG and CDNN.

+1 to the Romanian surplus. Stay away form the 1950's Bulgarian which is a little cheaper, but is quite erratic with some reports of being loaded too hot for the CZ52.

--wally.
    Your commitment to Freedom and Liberty is measured by your tolerance for others doing things you disapprove.
    NRA Patron Member since Jan 20, 2009.

Administrator   
    Quote Originally Posted by wally
    +1 to the Romanian surplus. Stay away form the 1950's Bulgarian which is a little cheaper, but is quite erratic with some reports of being loaded too hot for the CZ52.
    I do wish folks'd get this right.

7.62x25 is a hot cartridge by design. Polish, Yugo, Bulgarian, Russian, etc. It's designed to be a barrel burner.

The Romanians underload theirs because they don't use it in subguns.
    "Tactical" is a mindset, not an equipment list.

Home | Forum | Blog | ❏ PicPaste | ImgDump |☎ Nalioth

Nailoth,

The '50s Bulgarian has other problems, the powder is apparently unstable, one round (factory loaded, not messed with) will almost squib, while others have actually messed up the rollers on a CZ-52 with one shot.

In addition, the brass is either brittle on it's own or something in the packaging is making it that way, as 1 in 10 cases or so are cracked at the neck, when unpacked from the factory packaging.

This used to be on a page on the net by Kirby the OG, but I can no longer find it.

Buckshot

Administrator   
    No3buckshot, I'm familiar with that page (which no longer exists), and it is the only source I've found that brings those claims.

Everywhere else I've seen mention of "50's Bulgarian 7.62x25", nobody has had any problems.

I believe this is "one mans crusade" because he got

a) a bad lot ( it can happen with any ammo )
    b) a bad barrel ( known to exist for Cz52s )
    c) a Cz52 previously weakened by overloaded or bad ammo usage

We hear so much about it because humans LOVE bad news and they've repeated what they've seen on this one web page (but never used the ammo themselves).

I have personally gone through several cases of the '50's Bulgarian 7.62x25 and not seen any issues.

Edited to add: I've found the page, courtesy of Archive.org.

They rock!

Nalioth,

The difference is I talked to him via the Internet, as did several others as he developed this information.

He was a member of a C&R License holders list I also belonged to, until he got tired of it and quit the list, him being a member of the press and the list generally being down on mainstream media.

It was more than just a can of bad ammo, it seemed to be most of a YEARS production, involving several lots, but I don't think the last of that ever got posted to his pages.

He also had a very good page about Sino-Soviet SKSs, those built of Russian parts or partial Russian parts while the Russians were helping the Chinese set up the SKS production line.

Buckshot

Administrator   
    Well, this ammo question has come up on several forums over the years, and nobody who has purchased any of it has reported any blown up guns from it.

I have bought several cases of it (the same headstamp he had posted), and not had any trouble.

Again, until I see more than one source of information on this, I'm standing on the "one man crusade" wagon.

The Land of Northern Hospitality and Southern Efficiency
    The only experience I have had with the Bulgy ammo is an instance where it was shot out of a CZ-52. Every other round required the hammer to be cocked back and fired again. I suspect it's either hard primers, or the firing pin in the CZ-52. I didn't notice any erratic differences in recoil. It also didn't seem to be any faster than the Romanian.

Either way, I have only bought the Romanian stuff b/c it's 30 years newer (1980s production?). I have had good success with this surplus. Grab a tin or two if you can. It's worth it.
    Move along move along. Nothing to see here.

In 7.62x25 I prefer the 54-1, and I quickly found that it's weak point is its finish. It shoots flat,the long barrel gives good accuracy, and it's a cinch to strip and clean. It's also slim and light enough for concealed-carry.

"Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion...in private self defense..."
    John Adams, A defense of the Constitutions of the Government of the USA (1788).

Nice Norinco! Any of those syill around in any quantity???
    Gregory Peter DuPont

54-1's seem to be the prevalent and least expensive model to buy. Keep an eye on gunbroker, auctionarms and (with caution) gunsamerica.
    "Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion...in private self defense..."
    John Adams, A defense of the Constitutions of the Government of the USA (1788).

I have heard that Statement About Gunsamerica more than once. Can someone tell me the problem before I bid on something?
    Last edited by wolfen1949; June 11th, 2010 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Bad typing