Thread: Curious about my new/old .22 pump. Remington 12C?

Curious about my new/old .22 pump. Remington 12C?

I recently bought a .22 pump rifle from an aquaintance who was settling an estate. None of the heirs wanted it and a gun shop told him it might be worth $50 for parts. I gave him $50 and am quite happy with it.

It was covered in rust, and the cracked buttstock was only held together with a bunch of ancient tape. I epoxied the stock, and used fine steel wool and WD40 to clean up the metal, leaving a speckled look and light pitting. I think this thing had been in decent shape before someone let it rust. The bore is not real pretty, but shoots decent.

Anyhow, from what I was able to find on the net, it's a Remington 12C, but is not marked as such. The only marking on the receiver is the serial number, 67xxx, and "R.W.". The barrel is stamped "REMINGTON ARMS COMPANY, ILION, N.Y. U.S.A. PEDERSEN'S PATENTS JAN'Y 5 1909 OTHER PATENTS PENDING" and ".22 SHORT, LONG OR LONG RIFLE".

The info I found says it should have a date code on the barrel, but the J over S stamp I see does not corespond to any date code on the chart. The other model 12 rifles I looked at online also have a 1912 patent date. Does this mean that mine was made before 1912?

I know that in this condition, collector value is long gone, but I appreciate the history of a rifle and am just curious as to it's actual age. I figured that for the price, it's a great shooter.

These were made from 1909 until 1936, but I don't have any serial number info on them to know when your specific rifle was made. HTH.
    Gun Control in Canada: Keeping the streets safe for muggers, rapists, and other violent criminals since 1934.

Remington did not start using the barrel codes until 1921, so that's a clue.

"Remingtons manufactured between 1921 and 1972 have a code located on the left side of the barrel near the frame that identifies the year and month of manufacture." - remingtonsociety.com

Model 12C

had an octagon barrel and, I believe, was tapped for a tang sight. Fine rifles. Mine was a tack-driver until a hammerhead broke it. NRA supplied me with history and disassembly instructions in the 1980s.
    The M1 does MY talking!