Thread: eu

eu

For the full notice in MSWord, click here.

For the full notice in Text, click here.

Declaring the black-tailed prairie dog endangered has something to do with the E.U.?

I guess we'll have to find another use for all those varmint rifles.
    --Kol Tuv (All the best!) - Stu

"We are the ones we've been waiting for." --BHO
    "Get the hell out of my way!" --John Galt in Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

Naw, I was testing embedded urls.

I just randomly hit two keys just to fill the title bar.

I'm trying to figure out a succinct way to say that "they're at it again." Two (or three) attempts to choke off prairie dog hunting by the animal rights groups were shot down (ultimately) because of faulty (read "exaggerated") data they submitted, if I recall correctly.

Just kinda mulling it over before actually posting on the subject. One thing that occurs to me is they talk about meeting the "threshold" of "substantial scientific and commercial" evidence, and as far as I know, there's no way of objectively defining "substantial," hence there is no way to establish a "threshold."

I also noticed that PETA did not seem to be a party to this petition, and I wonder if they're sorta trying to keep it "under cover" a little by leaving PETA off... maybe because, if you are interested in animal rights one way or the other, you might be likely to use PETA as a search term, and this Federal Register dealie would not show up. Just a lingering suspicion.

So I'm just kicking it around in my head. Frankly, call it paranoia or what you will, I see it as another "choke point" to choke off opportunities to shoot, just like the spate of Executive Orders declaring this or that chunk of real estate a "park," or "primitive area," or "national monument" and the like.

As a couple of farmers have remarked to me, with varying words and varying cusses, but with the same sentiment, "How in the *&#* can you call the little *&#*ers endangered when you can't get rid of 'em?"

I like the way they say that comments which are not based on science or commerce will be ignored.

I also like the various ways they discourage comments... comment, and for the most part they'll publish who you are.

Eh! Just toying with how to put all this together, and testing the embedded clickie-links was part of it.

And I'm wondering how many farmers and ranchers in outlying areas will never see or hear anything about this until after it is a fait accompli.

Terry, 230RN

The commerce clause of the Constitution has been hammered, beaten, tweaked, stretched, poked, slapped, twisted, bent, shot at, intimidated, told to go home, hypnotized and ignored more than it has been read and respected.

I've never shot at prairie dogs, and might never do so -- shooting at mammals has never quite appealed to me -- but for anyone to say that a pest animal which makes farm crops harder (thus more expensive) to grow is unconnected to commerce would only make sense in a world where homemade machine-gun parts not offered for sale or trade are not considered to have an effect on trade as well.

timothy

"they're at it again"
    Being an environmental consultant, I am keenly aware of the effect of these rules on commerce. I work at a CA site that contains numerous endangered and threatened species. Buildings we can't demo because of endangered bats - we have to leave the buildings as bat habitats; roads we have to drive 25 mph over so our equipment won't squish certain species of frogs and salamanders; piles of debris we can't move because a species of rat has made it his home . . .
    --Kol Tuv (All the best!) - Stu

"We are the ones we've been waiting for." --BHO
    "Get the hell out of my way!" --John Galt in Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

I've posted this elsewhere, but maybe I can get away with telling it again.

I used to use a .223 to thin out the Prairie Rat population around Boulder Colorado, and the farmers used to pay me (nominally, just for ammo), but all the places I used to hunt are now filled with ricky-ticky condos or shopping malls. I've got a heck of a story about the City of Boulder rescuing prairie rats, and then me shooting them the next weekend when they "relocated" them near one of my farmer's pastures.

Boy, was that farmer sputterin' an' spittin' when he called me to get me out there and kill all them little &%$*@!&-ers that the dumb ^**^^-ing *&^%&^%-ers from **^^%&-ing Boulder had dumped on the ground next to his %$(*&^&&& pasture.

That's when I learned the term "Prairie Rats."

I think he used the term "mother" in there once or twice, too, but I'm not 100% sure because he was spitterin' an' sputtin' so much.

Question

testing to see if the email notification works. I think it might have stopped when I got a new computer.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

test to see if i can reply