Thread: Has anyone used magnum primers instead of small pistol primers?

Has anyone used magnum primers instead of small pistol primers?

With the rush to build up the old ammo supply before the Jan 20 deadline, I notice that a lot of internet suppliers are out of small pistol primers while they have small pistol magnum primers. Can these be used in standard loads? What would be the change in the bullet charge since the primer will add pressure? Thanks for the help.

Dave

I have used *small rifle* primers (hotter than SPM's) in 9mm and .357 Magnum before without any problems. Just work up the loads from the published minimums, don't start right at the top.

Use some common sense though; you probably shouldn't use a magnum (or rifle) primer in a .25 Auto case, or any of the other small cases (including 9mm) with a very heavy bullet that takes up all the powder space.

Have you checked powdervalleyinc.com and grafs.com for primers? Last time I checked, they both had lots of primers (especially Wolf, which is about all I use now for pistol loads)
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" —Kenny Rogers

During the last primer famine, I used Fiocchi small rifle primers to load 9mmx19 for my G17. Worked fine. I got a good deal on them because the .38 Super fellows found them a bit soft for the kind of pressures they run. It helps that small pistol and small rifle primers are dimensional clones.

As always, start low, work up.

*small rifle* primers (hotter than SPM's)
    Well, maybe not.
    For 9mm + HS6 I got higher velocity with small pistol magnum primers than with small rifle standard of the same brand. Both faster than small pistol standard, as you would expect. Don't load to the max and you will be ok with either.
    I have a few facts and a lot of opinions.

Last winter my local shop was selling Magnum small pistol primers for less than standard small pistol primers. I bought up 2K and used them in my "medium" .38 loads. No difference that I could tell.

WSMP vs. WSP

I have run out of WSP and was given 3K WSMP from a friend who doesn't reload. I started using the WSMP in target loads and standard power loads and have noticed no difference in .38 Spl.,9mm,or .357 Mag. At the last gun show here there were no small pistol or small rifle primers to be found.
    Be SAFE or be GONE! Pass it on.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
    Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
    One died for your soul;
    the other for your freedom." Unknown

Thank you everyone, I needed that information.
    Steven
    The "news media" has ceased being the watch dog of the people and has become the apologist for an irresponsible government.

Starter52 wrote
    Last winter my local shop was selling Magnum small pistol primers for less than standard small pistol primers. I bought up 2K and used them in my "medium" .38 loads. No difference that I could tell.
    Some years back, small pistol primers were hard to find in my area. I had a few thousand of the magnum primers and did the same thing with both 9MM and .38Sp loads. They worked fine using mostly recipes for starting or just above loads.

I was just testing Winchester magnum SP primers against their standard SP primers in 9mm Luger WIN brass. With my standard load and Remington 115-gr JHP's and the magnum primers, I produced muzzle velocity=1300fps vice 1239 for standard primers; a 61fps difference. I knocked down the charge in the magnum primer loads from 5.8-gr to 5.5 and got a mv=1277, further knocked it down to 5.3 and still got mv=1263; about 7fps per .1-gr. Next I'll knock the load down another .2-gr to get it into the mv=1250fps range. The WIN SP magnum primers increase the muzzle velocity significantly. Accuracy is about the same though, and there's only the slightest cratering of all the magnum primers no matter what the load.

I understand small rifle primers to be between small pistol and small pistol magnun + they have a thicker skin.

Tested 9mm WIN/115 REM JHP/WIN SP magnum primers/5.0-gr load and it averaged mv=1245fps. To equal my standard load using WIN SP standard primers/5.8-gr I would need to drop the powder in the magnum primer load another .1-gr to 4.9-gr. To quantify: Using the WIN SP magnum primers increased the mv of my standard load by 5%. To get the WIN SP magnum primer load mv to equal the WIN SP standard load mv I needed to decrease the powder by about 16%.

All of my Winchester pistol primers say they are for magnum and standard.
    ----
    Rick
    Repeal the 17th Amendment, let’s put America back to the Republic the founding fathers intended!
    A right should restrict the government, not obligate it!

All my pistol primers....small and large, are mags. I load 38 special, .357. 44 mag and 45 auto...use mag primers for all.

If you'd like to look at it another way d'Artagnan, you are also getting an additional 222 rounds out of a pound of powder by cutting your loads by .9 of a grain.