Thread: Good day for makin' smoke

Good day for makin' smoke

We had a beautiful day down here in Texas, figured I'd enjoy myself and shoot my GPR I built up from a kit earlier this year. After wiping out the bore and snapping a couple caps, I loaded up 55gr fffg with a patched round ball (my plinking load) and proceeded to unwind... kinda funny how blackpowder shooting always is so relaxing.

A couple dozen shots or so later my friend started ribbing me, "Is that all that ol' smokepole's got? Jeez, I thought they were supposed to put out a bunch more smoke than that!" So naturally it was time to up the ante... down the pipe went 110gr ffg with the PRB... gotta love those heavy loads of real black, sure gets heads turning

Well, after all the smoke cleared and the tin can I'd been shooting at couldn't be found anymore (think it went over the berm, couldn't see it through the smoke) I figured I'd done my part keepin the skeeters at bay for this month, packed up and headed home.

All in all a pleasant and enjoyable day.

Good looking smoke pole, nice job.
    A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Thanks for the kind words. It's still somewhat of a work in progress, I'd like to install a more traditional looking rear sight that is still adjustable for elevation and there are a couple other personal touches I'm considering.

I've got a TC Hawken. Yours is much closer to the originals than the TC. I put a tang mounted peep sight on mine. Been working on refinishing the stock, about completed. I'm looking for pic's of old plains rifles that had brass tacks used for decoration, I want to do something along that line with mine.
    A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Gonna be making smoke tomorrow in Grandview, TX with the whole family. Should be a nice day for it.
    War Eagle Society
    NRA Member
    Mission Outdoors
    Traditional Muzzleloading on the Cheap!