Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NRA Endowment.. Worth it?

NRA Endowment.. Worth it?

I have a Life Membership..I can get an endowment for $200 bux.. Worth it??..
    Visit my new website. Now offering Detachable Magazine Bottom metal for FN-SPR rifles.

www.cdiprecisiongunworks.com

Depends on whether or not you feel giving the NRA an additional $200.

Well, I guess I was wondering what additional benefits I would get, versus just sending them $200. I think they are gonna need sum help,lol
    Visit my new website. Now offering Detachable Magazine Bottom metal for FN-SPR rifles.

I was thinking of upgrading from Life to Endowment too, where did you see the $200 offer?

As for the benefits, I don't think we'd get much extra. IIRC Endowment members get invites to some NRA events, like dinners with guest speakers, of course we'd still have to pay for the dinner, maybe that and a hat.
    "A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man."

Administrator  
    Periodically, the NRA does a discount deal on membership upgrade. I went to Endowment a dozen or so years back.

You don't get anything extra for it. What you get is some satisfaction in helping the second-most powerful lobbying group in Washington. (Second only to AARP.)

What he said^. I paid $375 about 10 years ago, so $200 is a "bargain." Joe
    NRA Endowment Member; 01 / 20 / 2013

Yeah I agree with Art too.. Ill send of sum $$.. thanks for the input.

I'm a Patron Member - It's a donation not a quid pro quo.

I'm a Patron Member - It's a donation not a quid pro quo. Sometimes at the annual meeting Endowment, Patron, Benefactor, Honorary will stand in that order for a little recognition, or stand all together and sit down in that order for a last man standing recognition. There are color codes for different membership classes at the annual Convention and sometimes, someplaces other events.

Mostly the upgraded membership entitles folks to volunteer for Friends of the NRA events and help with election phone banks and maybe get a little razzing at the local and state level. I'd say support your local club first, your state organization second, the NRA third and GOA and others at some point as well. Notice there is a distinction between donating to the NRA and donating to NRA-ILA

The NRA has over the years under Wayne la Pierre offered reduced price membership upgrades to longstanding members who have, mostly, stopped responding other appeals. It costs the NRA very little to change the mailing label on the magazine and it gets some money from people who have stopped participating. The practice also annoys some who paid full price and again at the annual meeting there have some discussions about full price members and discount members maybe accompanied with a plea for funds.

As a general observation most of the folks I've talked to who thought the NRA wasn't doing enough for them were folks who wanted things the local club and state organization should be doing - but weren't because folks didn't support the local and state organization first.

Myself I hope the folks in Colorado will fight Denver's gun laws and the folks in Washington state will fight the announced intention of the Mayor of Seattle to ignore the law in pursuit of his own wishes and I hope the NRA fights the announced intention of the next President, administration and Congress. They can use the money but it doesn't buy more pages in the magazine.

Folks who go into it for what they individually will get out of it won't get anything out of it at all as an individual. Curiously folks who go into it to help the cause will get a lot out of it.

NRA doesn't need money, it needs humans on the rolls. Take the $200 and buy 20 $10 associate memberships for your friends and family. It will do more good. Chris Cox was on guntalk today and admitted that nra dues cannot legally be used to influence legislation. Dues can only go for salaries and the light bill.

We have 150 million gun owners and only 3 million NRA members. This is unacceptable and people buying life memberships and endowments won't change this.

Some people have the same attitude that the teachers unions have, i.e. that more money to the NRA is always the answer. Wrong, nra needs more members, not more cash.

I'd hardly call Mr. Cox's statement an admission. After all, the same info is on the NRA site.

"The fund-raising that sustains NRA`s legislative activities is conducted by ILA. Federal and many state election laws dictate that funds used to assist candidates for office must be raised separately, and that is the task of NRA`s political action committee--the NRA Political Victory Fund (NRA-PVF). Neither NRA member dues nor contributions to ILA can be used directly for the election or defeat of candidates."

Cash is good. Progress takes money.

FWIW, I donated 10 full NRA memberships during a drive on another forum not too long ago. Maybe we should do one here for Christmas.

John
    NRA Patron (I fell for it, but I got a nice knife when I upgraded, or maybe that was for Endowment.)
    Member www.vcdl.org

I'm a patron member. I just got an offer to "upgrade" to benefactor for $275.

It's simply a donation to them and I'll do it. But I'm also a frequent contributor to NRA/ILA. I also recruit for the NRA and plug them during all of my classes.
    NRA Patron Member - Rides: '06 FLHTP Shoots: Colt Ser 70/Colt 6520 Carries: Colt Defender Drinks: Buffalo Trace Status: Still married to my ex-girlfriend

As already stated, membership fees can not be used to political purposes. If you wish to aid in the fight to either retain your Second Amendment rights or correct a past evil such as Heller v DC, then make a contribution to NRA ILA, which is the NRA's lobbying arm. While you're at it, check and see if your state association has a similar branch such as TSRA PAC.

I did it, and the rest of the upgrades over the years, just saw it as another donation that came with a name change. If you have the cash it can't hurt.

However, this time of year I also try to sign up everyone I know with an annual membership as a Christmas gift. Will put more names on the rolls which always helps!
    "He who dares wins."
    NRA Life Benefactor Member

If you wish to aid in the fight to either retain your Second Amendment rights or correct a past evil such as Heller v DC
    While the NRA does a lot of good things, they practically had nothing to do with Heller v. DC and in fact did not want the case to be brought before the SCOTUS.
    Attorney Alan Gura, in a 2003 filing, used the term "sham litigation" to describe the NRA's attempts to have Parker (aka Heller) consolidated with its own case challenging the D.C. law. Gura also stated that "the NRA was adamant about not wanting the Supreme Court to hear the case".[40] These concerns were based on NRA lawyers' assessment that the justices at the time the case was filed might reach an unfavorable decision.[41] Cato Institute senior fellow Robert Levy, co-counsel to the Parker plaintiffs, has stated that the Parker plaintiffs "faced repeated attempts by the NRA to derail the litigation."[42] He also stated that "The N.R.A.’s interference in this process set us back and almost killed the case. It was a very acrimonious relationship."
    source

Take a lesson from the left and sue, sue, sue. I would rather support the NRA Defense fund instead.

NRA Legal Defense Fund
    At Thermopylae, 1,000,000 Persians lost 20,000 yet failed to disarm 300 Spartans. 80,000,000 lawfully armed Americans will resist even harder.

That we promise. Molōn labe!

"they practically had nothing to do with Heller v. DC and in fact did not want the case to be brought before the SCOTUS."

The NRA wanted to fight a larger, broader battle. As it turned out, Heller was good, but narrow victory. A small beginning in D.C. for some D.C. residents.

Note: I hate to break this to you, but Wikipedia is not a credible history source.

John

i am an endowment member and just received an offer to upgrade to patron for 275. comes with a bowie knife and wall plaque

Note: I hate to break this to you, but Wikipedia is not a credible history source.
    No, but it is usually accepted as reliable information source and it was quick and easy. When a NRA official that was once the CEO and executive vice president says....
    Wayne LaPierre, the NRA's chief executive officer, confirmed the NRA's misgivings. "There was a real dispute on our side among the constitutional scholars about whether there was a majority of justices on the Supreme Court who would support the Constitution as written," Mr. LaPierre said.

How about www.law.com, examiner.com, NY Times.

http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1185527215310

Examiner.com Article

NY Times Article

Don't get me wrong, the NRA does good things and is a boon for the RTKBA movement, but they had to be dragged kicking and screaming into supporting Heller v. DC and now that Heller won they want to pretend they were instrumental in securing that victory when nearly the opposite is true.
    Last edited by Maddyn99; December 8th, 2008 at 03:54 PM. Reason: typo and fixed link
    At Thermopylae, 1,000,000 Persians lost 20,000 yet failed to disarm 300 Spartans. 80,000,000 lawfully armed Americans will resist even harder.

That we promise. Molōn labe!

Heck ... it's your money ... spend it as you wish.

NRA second in "lobbying power" to AARP ... hmmm

I wonder which one is first in marketing to their members?

Monthly phone calls asking for more money ... NRA wins that contest hands down. AARP has never called me. However, AARP beats the NRA hands down in the junk mail category.

In this uncertain economy, you got the bucks ... send it to them as there are certainly a lot worse uses for your money.

The ONLY thing certain in life is DEATH. Live each day to its' FULLEST!

Over the course of maybe 25 years, I've gone from an annual member to a Life Member to a Patron Member to an Endowment Member to a Benefactor Member. I'm not rich, and sure I looked for the occasional "upgrade specials". But still it cost a chunk of change, plus I've made various donations to the cause over and above the membership upgrades.

Was it worth it? Well, like my four ex-wives and one ex-girlfriend, the money is gone and will never come back. But the money I've given NRA gives me a good feeling when I think about my grandchildren and beyond. They may be stuck with today's bailout bills, but I like to think they also will still have the NRA looking out for some of their rights, funded by some of my dough. As I get older, that gives me some peace. I'm contributing to an organization that hopefully will be going strong long after I've started my well-deserved dirt nap.
    NRA Benefactor member, USCCA member, proud Harley owner

Too good a deal to pass. I upgraded last night.

IIRC, the NRA didn't want to get into Heller, because it wasn't the no-doubt-about-it case they wanted. As it is, the ruling still leaves openings for state and local legislation that can restrict firearms. NRA wanted a slam-dunk of a 2ndA case that would have garnered more SCOTUS support. Heller just squeeked by.
    ......................................there is no Plan B

Exit 8A, Peoples' Republic of Corzinistan
    Upgraded from Life to Endowment a week or so ago.

- NF
    Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

I upgraded to Endowment member a few weeks ago and just received the certificate, a couple of window stickers and a badge.

I looked at the $200 as a donation rather than expecting something in return. I see the certificate as a badge of honor, something to be respected, an attempt to help.

I don't know if the 2nd amendment will survive the coming 4 years, but I'd like to think that perhaps, my $200 might make a small difference in the fight to come.
    si vis pacem, para bellum

Well, I guess I was wondering what additional benefits I would get, versus just sending them $200.
    If your membership in the NRA is simply for what - you - get out of it, don't worry about it. You are a member and that is all anyone will expect from you. If you choose to donate, please do. The NRA keeps track of how much you donate and will upgrade your membership as you cross various thresholds.

I upgraded to Benefactor in 2000. My personal satisfaction was all I asked for.

I did the Endowment upgrade when they had a "special" a while back. No real benefit other than helping the cause and getting a few stickers, patches, and pins to show off.

I'm probably going to bite on the Patron update offer this January or else send that amount to NRA-ILA, still thinking about my options.

--wally.
    Your commitment to Freedom and Liberty is measured by your tolerance for others doing things you disapprove.
    NRA Patron Member since Jan 20, 2009.

I went from Life to Endowment about 7 or 8 years ago. Sending the NRA extra money to do this, coupled with a little more sent to the NRA ILA every year, certainly helps. I don't get any added benefit from this except the satisfaction that comes from knowing that my money is going to a good cause.

I also leave a link on my webpage to the NRA online/$10 discount per membership offer. It allows people to join or renew an annual membership at a $10 discount. Unfortunately, most often no one utilizes this. Most months no one does, although on a rare occasion one or two people do.

If we had 10 million members, annual, life, endowment, patron, or otherwise, it would be a great thing. We'd have more time to take a kid shooting, and we could spend less time in the political arena.
    NRA Recruiter/Instructor/Endowment Member