Thread: Savage 10GXP3

Savage 10GXP3

Hey y'all:
    What is the general feelings of the Savage 10GXP3? It has a cheapish Simmons 3-9X40mm scope on it factory mounted. I have been thinking on it in .243 for my just now 9 year old son. Any constructive info is greatly appreciated.

George

You're talking about one of my favorite rifles, and in .243, a caliber that I like a lot.

I picked one up a couple of years ago and did a write-up on it over at The Frugal Outdoorsman. The particular write up on the gun is at this link.

The Savage Model 10 is a great little hunting rifle. The scope, while low-end, will probably suffice until you can put something better on it. Mine now wears a better Simmons scope. The 3X9 that came with the rifle is on a .22LR

I own 3 Savages and my daughter owns 1. A model 12 heavy barrel in 308, a Stevens 200 in 308, a model 111 in 30.06 and a model 110 in 243. All are great shooters with little tweaking needed.

The 243 off the bench in my daughters' hands can really make me sweat at times. She's a perfectionist when she shoots and if I'm the least little bit off my game, she can make me look really bad.
    I think your son will love it, but just as PawPaw posted, you'll eventually want to replace the scope to something a little better.

One other thing to think about, if you're like me, you may find that the "youth" models are a much better route to take than the longer stocked rifles. There's just too much length of pull especially for a young shooter. The same holds true for myself.
    I was having my stocks cut down, but found that it was easier to go with youth stocks. They fit me great and allow my daughter and I to switch off.

Youth stock

Thanks for all the replies. On the youth stock idea, I would like to pick up a youth stock for it, mount and then, when he stretches out a bit, return it to original. Can a youth stock be put on it? If so, can you point me in the direction to get one? Brownells?

Thanks again,
    George

You can buy a membership for savageshooters.com for $12.00 per year and watch the classifieds.

You can also check this listing out. http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...php?board=64.0

You can also check with Savage Arms themselves as I'm sure they'll do their best to help you out.

Savage 10GXP3 is the cheapest Simmons 3 of 9 by 40 millimeter. If you want to buy it for any kind of toys kit then you order on professional resume writing service near me as they already old kinds of Simmons which they sell for the projects of the university students.