Thread: Antique sword pistol

Antique sword pistol

My friend inherited an unusual gun from his mother. It is a sword with a flintlock gun attached. The gun has a 10 inch barrel running along the left side of the blade. Anyone have any information about something like this? He would like to sell it if there is a market. I'd appreciate anything anyone has to contribute to this. I will try to include a photo, but cut me a little slack if I fail.
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is really the sort of thing that requires a hands-on evaluation, in order to determine the maker, the age, the country it was made in, and so on. These sorts of things are rare enough that there's definitely going to be some collector or museum interest, but again, that depends on a close-up look at it. If there are any marks at all on it, we might be able to help with the maker and/or country of origin, though.
    Gun Control in Canada: Keeping the streets safe for muggers, rapists, and other violent criminals since 1934.

I appreciate your informative reply. I think he is going to try to find a museum somewhere that might be interested. Thanks.

"...try to include a photo..." Dandy picture. The hammer is missing pieces. It's also possible that it's a replica. All kinds of stuff like that has been replicated. The round head screws are suspicious.
    Museums won't buy stuff unless it's extremely rare or unusual. Sword/guns aren't particularly rare or unusual.

pistol

I think it may be an elgin navy pistol.made in Mass.

This is definitely not an Elgin Cutlass Pistol as purchased by the US Navy. The Elgin's were percussion pistols.

How long is the sword blade? I ask because I have handled a couple of German hunting swords like the arm you're posting about. It's traditional in Germany to administer a coup de grace to a dying animal with a hunting sword; some of these were fitted with pistol mechanisms like yours. German hunting swords are fairly short, 20 inches or so tops. Can we see some more pics?

It's not out of the realm of possibility that a full-length sword could have a pistol hilt, and I guess it'd be a great "gentleman's sword", the sort of thing that could bring a lot of comfort in a dark alley.
    "What's good for me might not be good for the weak-minded."- Augustus McRae