Thread: cz-82 for concealed carry?

cz-82 for concealed carry?

Good day, eh?

So I've been coming closer to doing CCW, especially since I witnessed a mugging take place a scant 5 feet away in a subway station while visiting "gun-free and therefore supposedly crime-free" Chicago last month.

First off - I know nothing about the realities of CCW, so I don't know how small a pistol has to be to wear it properly in a concealable belt holster, etc.

The only pistol I own at the moment is a CZ-82. Is this small enough to use for CCW? I tried tucking it my pants like a gangsta and it seemed to fit okay if I loosened my belt and wore a sweatshirt to cover it.

I can't afford a "real" CCW pistol at the moment, so I'll use the 82 if it will work. And yes, I know the 9mm Mak round is relatively weak, but if I feed it with hollowpoints hopefully it'll do the job until I can afford something more potent.

Thoughts, advice, etc, are appreciated.

Cheers!
    It is the naive privilege of those who have never had to confront violence to disparage the power to resist it.

i find mine most reliable and accurate - i carry it in my tactical coat with integral holsters ,

i think it fits the hand and seems right for concealed carry ...............but , ive not found comfortable holsters [other than my coat ] so it gets carried less than my S&W39 that i have IWB holster for ,

A CZ-82 will do just fine for CCW. But, if you are going to do so with it, please get a proper IWB holster. It doesn't have to be anything fancy... Just something to keep it in place and cover the trigger. An Uncle Mike's Size 1 IWB should fit it.

I don't know why you think the 9mm mak round is "weak". It was acceptable for the KGB and many of the East European police forces... so don't sell it short. Norinco ball ammo rocks my Makarov, so you might want to pick up some "hot" mak ammo if you are going to carry the CZ. Georgia Arms has several varieties of Mak ammo that's a bit "warmer" than the standard. "Gold Dot hollow point" 95 grain, to be specific.

WT
    Last edited by wristtwister; December 9th, 2008 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Added specific information
    "What man is a man that does not make the world a better place?"... from "Kingdom of Heaven"
    True patriots feel that there is no problem in our Republic that cannot be solved by election, windage and elevation, or superior firepower.

I currently switch back and forth between my CZ-82 and my RIA 1911 both carried in Bianchi Professional 100 holsters. This is my CZ setup which is usually loaded with Hornady XTPs.
    Last edited by Rollinco; December 9th, 2008 at 10:23 PM. Reason: additional Info
    "An unarmed man can only flee evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." ...Jeff Cooper

I carry mine in a Bianchi minimalist @ 4:00.

CZ-52 *CZ-82 * Norinco 54-1 * Smith & Wesson 22A * PA-63*
    Mosin Nagant M44 & M38* Armi Jager AP-74 * 1851 Colt Navy Replica .44 * Glenfield Model 60 * P90 Airsoft 10/20 mod

I currently switch back and forth between my CZ-82 and my RIA 1911 both carried in Bianchi Professional 100 holsters. This is my CZ setup which is usually loaded with Hornady XTPs.
    what size is that bianchi?
    rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
    originally posted my Mike Irwin
    My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
    The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."

It is a size 9 made for the Beretta 84 Cheetah.
    "An unarmed man can only flee evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." ...Jeff Cooper

I owned Cz-82 for several years and let me tell you something, this gun is awesome. Its a little bit heavy and big, not quite suitable for concealed carry due to its dimensions but it performs very well. Totally reliable and very very accurate. considering that there are plenty compact and sub compact models in major calibers Cz82 doesnt have strong positions but it was such a pleasure to own and shoot it and it has a very nice price tag.

Today I will choose Glock 26 or other sub compact in major caliber over Cz82 for concealed carry but if I find one in good condition and for good price I would buy it, just to own one.

defiantly one of my favorite handguns.
    sig sauer, swiss perfection

thanks rollinco.
    My cz82 is solid reliable and accurate,yes there are 9mm luger guns that are smaller and better suited for CCW.
    But hardware has less to do with survival than software.
    BTW I have no problem carrying mine occasionaly and I own guns that most consider better for CCW.

the only way to find out if it's small enough, is to go put it on.

just gotta try on a few different holsters. if you go to a gun shop and ask politely, they may let you try on a few different holsters and check yourself for printing in the mirror.

everyone has a different body shape. i can't hide anything but a single stack subcompact. but there are those i know of who can slap a full size glock 34 or 5" 1911 and have it dissapear on their hip.

bottom line is: try it out, use a few different holsters. only you can determine what fits.

Many good responses, too heavy for me as a cc.

Thanks for the comments and advice!

I bought the CZ because it was fairly inexpensive, and I really enjoy shooting it... it's a comfortable fit, and accurate for me so far after a year of shooting it.

I'll see if I can find a place to try on the various holsters, as suggested, that sounds like the easiest route.

And my comment about the "weak" Mak round was tongue in cheek... most of the guys I shoot with jokingly tell me to get a gun that shoots a "Real" calibre, like the .45, etc.
    It is the naive privilege of those who have never had to confront violence to disparage the power to resist it.

on the mak round being weak.... ask your friends which one they'd rather be shot with - a 45, or a mak. chances are, their answer will be neither. as long as it goes bang, and goes where you point it, does it really matter?

Yeah, my standard reply is to say accuracy is better than stopping power. I tell them "would you rather be missed by a .44 Mag or hit by a .22?" It's all in fun though.

yeah. when SHTF, it's better to have a 22 go bang than to stare blankly and shrug your shoulders. everyone will have an opinion, it's all about what you're comfortable with in the end.

If you value your health, get a good holster!

I read a post a few months ago from a member who shot himself in the groin with a cz 82 in a cheap, thin holster, that someone moved the trigger!

I carry mine a couple of times a week. It is invisible under my vest and, although a tad weighty, not as likely to pull my pants down as my 1911. By the way, holsters designed for a 1911 Officer's model will fit both the CZ-82 and the Makarov pretty well.

I think it's a very good choice for concealed carry. Lots o' rounds, low recoil, points well, reliable, can even be carried cocked and locked (I don't bother, as the double-action is smooth and light), and it can be rapid-fired very easily. That big grip is easy to get ahold of in a hurry, too.

checked it again last night it still makes holes.15 yards shooting fast.(was function testing a new load)

You bet. Reliable small and accurate with good capacity. Can also be carried cocked and locked.