Thread: Can we get gunshops to give free NRA memberships with a new gun?

Can we get gunshops to give free NRA memberships with a new gun?

The system could work like this: buy a gun, get a free NRA membership to anyone you like. No option to not get the free membership and take the money off the price. Maintain a signup sheet for people that might not be able to afford an NRA membership but want one. Every new gun bought will get 1 new NRA member.

Are such memberships tax deductible or the gun shop?

Any idea how to pitch this?
    Gun control is archaic, outdated, ageist, racist, classist, and sexist. It has no place in a modern, tolerant, and liberal society. Being pro-gun is a liberal value.

armedbuddhist.blogspot.com

The only way the shop may get a tax deduction for it would probably be under business expenses. Memberships and donations to the NRA aren't tax deductible. It would be a good idea if it could be done but I'm not sure the shops would go for it.
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

Give? What is this "give" thing?
    "Whom have I in heaven but you
    And beside you I desire nothing on earth." --PS 73

I was actually thinking something similar, but asking for the shops to require an NRA membership to buy a firearm. Also, at least for the more restrictive states, maybe offer a small discount if you're also a member of the state NRA affiliate.
    -Lee
    "In Jersey anything's legal, as long as you don't get caught."
    Traveling Wilburys, "Tweeter and the Monkey Man"

"give free" doesn't compute with my idea of retail. Gun shops could, however, work deals with the NRA to forward the NRA's positions.

"require an NRA membership to buy a firearm"

Mandatory membership? Doesn't sound very "free" to me.

I agree, more people need to sign up...but, the difficulty is, anyone who's a member is immediately discounted as a 'gun nut' by those out to get our guns.

Now, an option would be like they do at stores "Would you like to donate a dollar to the Children's Cancer Fund?" but instead "Would you also like to join the NRA/GOA/JFPO, at a discounted $XX, and help ensure the rights you're taking advantage of today, remain there in the future?"

Don't JUST do the NRA. Let's get the rest in there too. Monopolies of ANY kind are usually bad.

NRA: $35/year (discounts for multiple); $1000 Life Member
    JFPO: $25/year ($40 for 2); $500 Life Member
    GOA: $20 to join; $500 Life Member
    (Above numbers taken right off their respective sites)

So all three organizations work together, and come up with a "3-in-1" offer to join them all, in one go...

3 heads are better than 1!

"Give free" and "free shipping" are much the same thing - the cost of both are built into the cost of the product. In any case, "free" is paid for by the consumer.

Wilson Combat gives out a free, one-year NRA membership or renewal with every new gun. I got one with each of my Wilson 1911's. You fill out a form and send it back to Wilson's, then the NRA sends you your new card.

Nothing like a win, win, win, win situation!

Way back when I bought my Taurus PT145 Millenium PRO, Taurus was giving a year's free NRA membership with purchase of the gun.
    I'd been eyeing the gun for a while, my yearly dues were coming up (before I upgraded to life member), so everybody won!
    1. Me
    2. Taurus
    3. NRA
    4. Gun shop

Sounds like something all makers should be doing?
    It only becomes class warfare when the working class decides to fight back.
    When they don't, it simply becomes a case of economic genocide.
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member

Is the point of being an NRA member to provide funding for RKBA activities? Or is the point to drive up memebership numbers to (over) inflate apparent number of people supporting it.

Personally I don't like any of the free/discounted NRA memberships. If you feel it's worthy of your money then join. If it has to be given away,what does that do to the value?

Just my thoughts.
    Ringer

Way back when I bought my Taurus PT145 Millenium PRO, Taurus was giving a year's free NRA membership with purchase of the gun.
    The still are. You need to go to Taurus' website and download the form.

Hmm. Maybe I'll buy another one next year....
    "Whom have I in heaven but you
    And beside you I desire nothing on earth." --PS 73

I don't see why not. A small increase in gun prices would do the trick. http://www.thehighroad.us/showthread.php?t=402642