Thread: Would You Do It?

Would You Do It?

I have been looking for a good 9mm backup gun for my ankle or pocket and I have found 2 weapons that have peaked my interest. I carry a Glock 30 45acp in a crossbreed supertuck but I want a backup.

The first is a Kel Tec PF9 in good shape with one mage

The second is a like new Smith and Wesson Sigma 9mm with 4 mags, it is not the older troublesome model it is the newest model.

I can get either one for 250 bucks its just a matter of what is a better weapon

The PF9 is the smaller of the two (being a very slim single-stack) and will carry a lot easier in the ankle or pocket. The Sigma SW9VE is a double-stack and is actually larger than the Glock 30.

The 'better weapon' is subjective, however--I know the Sigma is a decent gun; the one I had went bang every time.

I've never owned a PF9, nor have I ever shot one. I've shot its older brother, the P11, which was OK (but definitely not a reliable gun as it was constantly broken).

I don't see how you can Consider the Sigma a "pocket or ankle" gun.

I'd rate the Sigma a better gun overall (neither has a great trigger) but the PF-9 will work well on the ankle and passable in a large pocket.

My PF-9 has been reliable for a few hundred rounds, but its not fun to shoot. Take a look at the Kahr CW9 and my comparison thread: http://www.thehighroad.us/showthread.php?t=316342

--wally.
    Your commitment to Freedom and Liberty is measured by your tolerance for others doing things you disapprove.
    NRA Patron Member since Jan 20, 2009.

Can you say Glock 26? Sure, I knew you could.

9mm backup gun for my ankle or pocket
    Kel Tec PF9
    Smith and Wesson Sigma 9mm
    I don't think the Sigma will fit well in either pocket or ankle.
    "Whom have I in heaven but you
    And beside you I desire nothing on earth." --PS 73

I agree that the Sigma is far too big for pocket or ankle carry.

Glock 26 works on the ankle with loose-ankled pants and BIG pockets.

Kahr PM9 & Kel-Tec PF9 will work in either spot.

Personally, I refuse to be found anywhere without at least one revolver on or near me. A S&W 642 is my favorite pocket/ankle gun. If I need it, it's because my auto went kaput. I know the revolver won't fail me.

The sigma is more of a compact/fullsize pistol. If you can hide it and the Glock then go for it. If not pick up a keltec somewheres for pocket carry.
    You can't get into a boxing match with a Norinco 982!