Thread: Uh...is there some kind of trick to sharpening a Garand M5 Bayonet?

Uh...is there some kind of trick to sharpening a Garand M5 Bayonet?

Specifically, this one:

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/m1garm5a1bay.html

VERY VERY nice, IMO, by the way. Except for the minor detail that it has no edge whatsoever.

Yeah yeah, the odds I'll actually be using it to cut or stab are pretty slim...just mainly got it to go with my M1 because it was a good deal.

And ultimately I may have to face facts that I just ain't no good at sharpening knives. Even when I "cheated" and resorted to one of those handheld "Jiff V Sharp" things...NADA!
    I should be very much obliged if you would slip your revolver into your pocket. An Eley's # 2 is an excellent argument with gentlemen who can twist steel pokers into knots.
    Sherlock Holmes

Germans who wish to use firearms should join the SS or the SA - ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State.
    Heinrich Himmler

You like to fire assault weapons? I have a place for you. It's not in the homes and streets of America. It's called the Army, and you can join any time! Wes Clark

A bayonet is *supposed* to be dull (although I've been thinking of getting a Swiss bayonet and making a knife out of it)
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" —Kenny Rogers

Hmm...I've heard this, but didn't know it applied to ALL bayonets.

The surplus, used M7 Bayonet I own came fairly sharp...
    I should be very much obliged if you would slip your revolver into your pocket. An Eley's # 2 is an excellent argument with gentlemen who can twist steel pokers into knots.
    Sherlock Holmes

Germans who wish to use firearms should join the SS or the SA - ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State.
    Heinrich Himmler

You like to fire assault weapons? I have a place for you. It's not in the homes and streets of America. It's called the Army, and you can join any time! Wes Clark

"...A bayonet is *supposed* to be dull..." No it isn't. However, most bayonets don't come sharpened from any shop. Liability issues. That one might be a reproduction too. Model 1905E1 and M1 bayonets were usually ground dull before being released too.
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. It takes training to fight with a bayonet mounted on a rifle.

Yeah...especially one as heavy as the M1...!

At the price I paid, I don't see how it could be anything BUT a reproduction, but the site don't say it is...

Cheaper Than Dirt HAD some real M5 Garand bayonets in briefly, in rather rough condition too IIRC, going for 3 times what CDNN is charging for these.
    Sherlock Holmes

Heinrich Himmler

Yeah...especially one as heavy as the M1...!
    I learned on both the M1 Garand and the M14. And have used the M14 and bayonet or at least the vertical and horizontal butt stroke in combat. (please note: there is no doubting the stopping power of either of the butt strokes.)

Frankly in a bayonet fight I would still rather have either of them over the present Widow Maker.

Go figure.

Fred
    Semper Fi *** Stupid should hurt
    “To lead untrained men in to war, is to waste them.” - Confucious
    “We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality” - Ayn Rand

Frankly in a bayonet fight I would still rather have either of them over the present Widow Maker.
    Frankly, in a bayonet fight, I'd rather just use the gun that the little pokey thing is attached to.

E-Tool, much better for close in work..

Frankly, in a bayonet fight, I'd rather just use the gun that the little pokey thing is attached to.
    Sure, sounds good in theory, but when the bad guys are in the same trench or hole with you and you find yourself suddenly with an empty rifle in your hands, and either your pistol is still in the holster, or it is empty too, you as they say in the high speed low drag schools, transition.

Trust me if you are trying to fight off human wave attacks these things have been known to happen. Unfortunately I have Been there done that to many times.

E-Tool, much better for close in work..
    dgdimick, You are so right, particularly the older type we had, great trench weapon. My only problem is to use it best means I don't have my rifle in my hands anymore.

And unless you are totally out of rifle ammo, (been there too) you sure don't want to be without your rifle.
    “We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality” - Ayn Rand

Believe me, the worst command you'll ever hear is, "Fix Bayonets." It might also be the last command you ever hear.
    I am old. I am retired. I am a combat veteran. I am grouchy. I am intolerant, and I am judgemental. I am also alive. Thank you. I am off to the range.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the
    lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington, DC.

Believe me, the worst command you'll ever hear is, "Fix Bayonets." It might also be the last command you ever hear.
    Spoken like a real vet. Welcome home brother.

I know it was one of the worst orders I ever gave. But when the ammo is low and the number of enemy is high. Just remember this, it is better to give than to receive.

I agree you never want to hear that order, but it is much better to be doing it in the assault than in the defense. In the assault, you still have the initiative, in the defense, you are about to get your asses waxed, and you are running out of usually several things at once, ammo, time, distance, communications, supporting fire and often operational troops on your side. And once again, usually there is an abundance of guys with black hats to close for comfort.

My own concept for use of the bayonet is to just write yourself off, attack like a wild man yelling and screaming, in such a manner that no rational person would want to be anywhere near you, and be totally sure that if the two of you make contact, that the bad guy just KNOWS he's going to die. Worked for me. Side note: I have found both the vertical butt stroke and/or horizontal butt stroke are the singularly most effective stopping power delivered by any rifle.

PS. I did all my bayonet fighting with an M14. Makes a great baseball bat when necessary too.

Go figure.

Fred

I have a nice m4 bao.. Its sharp.and its real, never issued.and it is very sharp.I had a swiss,bao. that it came dull.I used my reg knife sharpner,I use the catco. put it n the litle vise, and pick 25 degree,and go at it, 10 strokes on one side, turn it over 10 stroke on that side and so on.

Get one of these.
    Clem

Retired USMC, Retired LEO
    Benefactor NRA, Life DAV

I have a 1920 dated SA 15" bayo for a Springfield, that was cut down to 10" and re-issued as a bayo for an M1, and it's not sharp. Doesn't look like it ever really was. Is it a sin to sharpen them? Not that it really needs to be sharp.....

The way prices are going on M1 bayonets, I would not modify one in any way!
    "If I said it, I must have meant it; so I owe him an apology, or nothing at all." -HST

if that pictur is the bayonet its not for a m1 garand.it looks like an AK.I have mi bayonets and they are sharp,as are the springfield.even the carbine and m16,as all mine are as issued.

Blue River Wisconsin, in a little hut in the woods
    Must be something in the water. Every gun site I have been on for the last week has been talking knife fighting or how do you sharpen your bayonet. If you want a sharp blade get a Ka-Bar. Touch up your bayonet with a file, not a whetstone, it isn't a utility knife, its a bayonet.

Okay, for you young fellers weaned on the 16 your bayonet was a utility knife but lets face it, the 16 and its offspring isn't exactly designed for a blade on the end of it. Thats why they give you hundreds of rounds of varmint bullets. Thats so you don't run out of bullets.

If I was going to have to and assuming I was young enough for that kind of silliness again I want a rifle on the blunt side of the bayonet. Springfield 03A3, K31, M1 Garand, M14, you know, a real rifle.
    1934 – National Firearms Act, 1968 – The Gun Control Act, 1986 – Firearms Owners Protection Act, 1993 – Brady Handguns Violence Act, 1994 – Assault Weapons Ban, 1995 – Gun Free School Zones Act, NO MORE COMPROMISING

if that pictur is the bayonet its not for a m1 garand.it looks like an AK.
    I believe that's a Ka-Bar fighting knife.