Thread: Recommend something that fits the description

Recommend something that fits the description

I have glocks and the dang things are just to fat and heavy for comfy carry; for me anyways.

Here's the description:

Single stack: AKA THIN.
    I have a CW9 which I love to carry because of it's thin-ness and weight. (It's actually my wife's, so I need something of my own)

I'd like something with a metal frame, with replaceable grips. I think I'm just looking for something a little .. classier .. than another plastic pistol.

Either 9mm or .40 cal

Under $500 and used is OK.
    Jahwarrior said: I could've given them my ID, but I am right, and obstinate about being so. so, yes,I could've ended it by just cooperating, but that would have hypocritical, lazy, and cowardly.

Metal-frame Kahrs. The original K9 is nice, especially if you like the CW9. New price will be over $500, maybe you can find used.

Officer's size 1911 (some are made in 9mm and .40, for instance Springfield Armory has a micro 9mm 1911). Getting under $500 with quality and a caliber other than .45 may be tough.

Sig P239, used.

Obviously there are lots more options in polymer.

Sig P6/225 can't beat the price...
    Support THR!

Besides those already suggested, maybe a P7?
    gbelleh

Ist dies das haus des Johann Mattes?

Check out any CZ's that fall into that category.

Couple of ideas...

The Sig P6 is an excellent choice, but a little limited in the number of rounds available(better than a six-shooter, but not much).

EAA imports the "Witness" series that is both 9mm and .40 cal, and I bought an older model Tanfoglio TZ that is almost identical to them. It carries 13 in the magazine +1, (9mm), and if you add some Remington "Golden Saber" ammo, you have a pretty formidable carry piece.

The TZ cost about $350, is a little heavy for what it is, but still manageable.

If you like a thin profile, the SR-9 would be my choice (and is). It's a little bigger than the TZ, but it carries 17+1 and costs about $460. I think it's probably the finest gun out there for that price right now.

The Springfield XD series is also popular, but I don't think they have quite the features you're looking for... but give them a try. I find their grips a bit fat, like the glock.

Anyway... just a couple of ideas.

WT
    "What man is a man that does not make the world a better place?"... from "Kingdom of Heaven"
    True patriots feel that there is no problem in our Republic that cannot be solved by election, windage and elevation, or superior firepower.

A Norinco 213 is thin, very reliable and very, very accurate. It has presence, too.
    A Makarov? Simple, easy and works perfectly every time. íVale!

Sig 225/P6 is the best choice commercially available to you.

Magazines can be 8 or 10 rounds, single stacked 9mm for about $20 each

P226 9mm electroless finish $600

Quote Originally Posted by igpoobah
    I think I'm just looking for something a little .. classier .. than another plastic pistol.
    That would be almost anything, then - but try a 1911
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Gotta agree with AndyC.

My daily carry, looks good, 8+1 Kimber CDP Pro II 45acp 1911. Nice and light, looks good, nice and thin, looks good, nice and classy, looks good, shoots well, looks good.

Oh, did I mention that it looks good?

I'm such a wiseacre!

Jahwarrior said: I could've given them my ID, but I am right, and obstinate about being so. so, yes,I could've ended it by just cooperating, but that would have hypocritical, lazy, and cowardly.

I would like to suggest that you consider an HK P7M8. They're harder to locate nowadays but I saw one on line yesterday for under $600. Mags are dear, as well. But they are hard to beat for slim and handy. The one I saw was a P7M8PSP, [Police Service Pistol], which has the Euro style mag latch. I thought they were funny looking when I first saw one some years back, but as I've aged my tastes have grown up a little.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf...
    If George Orwell DIDN"T say that first....he should have

If I assume you want it for concealed carry, thin and light are just two of the more important characteristics. Frankly, for a carry gun, no steel frame is light enough, and the BG doesn't really care what launched the bullet.

In the day, a aluminum frame chopped 1911 with DA trigger and no grip safety was the standard in autos. ASP also made something up from the S&W line. Detonics chimed in with the 9MM Pocket Pal (stainless and a heavy hunk,) and Colt had a .380, too. Upshot is these days a DA trigger and no more than one other safety is max. A pictinny rail is just bling.

I'd say go with the Kahr PM, or even a revolver. A large steel framed auto is really a "covered up holster" gun, not a concealed carry piece. The two jobs get confused a lot because guns are guns - just like some people carry Kabars to dress out deer. They can do the job, but they aren't optimal.

Like a nice 3 1/2 drop point with no guard for hunting, a PM9 sized pistol with DA is about the best application.

My Recommendation...

The Kahr T9:

(1) 8-rd mag
    (2) 4-inch barrel
    (3) full-size grip, but with reduced, single-stack (thin) grip circumference
    (4) standard with elegant wood grips
    (5) sweet DAO trigger that allows me to shoot ragged holes at POA all day

I love it -- its my daily carry.

I got a good price on mine from SportingArms in Lewisville, Texas.

Admittedly, the Kahr T9 does not have the accessory support of the Glock pistols. However, the Kahr website sells a two-magazine carrier, and GALCO has a variety of holster types for the T9.

The new Walther PPS - compact 9mm single stack.

Taurus has a new single stack 9mm poly framed pistol coming, but who knows when it'll actually be available.

1911s are always a good option, I don't think you'll find any 9s or 40s in that price range though. For some reason, they don't make as many of those as they should.

If you're looking at .40 though, I'd have her try a commander size 1911 in .45. Most people find them more pleasant to shoot than a .40. A little tough to find used at that price point, but certainly possible.

Joe

Astra A75L, if you can find a nice one.

Compact 9mm single stack
    DA/SA
    8-round mag
    decocker
    Aluminum frame, 25-oz. A75 is steel
    Same size as a Keltec P11
    Very well made.

Administrator   
    I would have to agree with the SiG P-6 posters - dirt cheap right now, and high quality. If you must have single stack, that's the only thing inside your reccomendations.
    Move to double stack, and your choices widen, no pun intended.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

http://czforumsite.info/

Guys, he did state a $500 budget. If you are finding P7's for $500, dish. The rest of us want to know, too. Ditto Kimbers. He can find a RIA, or MAYBE a Charles Daly 1911 in that range, I wouldn't have any of the other sub $500 1911's as a defense piece. I just wouldn't. The P6 is also a nice choice that fits the constraints listed.

John

Occasionally, you'll see a used Springfield Champion, Kimber or Colt in the $500 range. Hard to find, but they do surface sometimes.

The P6 is a good gun, the only drawbacks in my opinion are the fact that magazines are scarce and expensive and for a carry piece you'd need at least 2 - 4 extra. Still within the $500 budget though. The other issue is the width of the grips of the P6 - for a single stack, it's nearly as wide as a 229.

Joe

I know everyone likes to bang on Glock, but you know them make compact models, right? I have a G36 I carry sometimes (used to carry it all the time, but then I got this 1911 and I fell in love, so the G36 has been relegated to "extreme concealment" mode).
    "[The 2nd Amendment's] free exercise is the antithesis of serfdom and the only meaningful form of holocaust insurance known to man." -- Gus Cotey, Jr.
    NRA, SAF, and JPFO Life Member. USCCA annual member.
    Public Relations Coordinator, Connecticut Citizens Defense League, Inc.

In the OP's original specs:
    Whether you love or hate Glocks, "thin" is not an adjective associated with them in any way.

Joe

In the OP's original specs:
    Whether you love or hate Glocks, "thin" is not an adjective associated with them in any way.

Joe