Thread: earmuffs for the girlfriend

earmuffs for the girlfriend

Looking for recommendations...

She's made it known that good hearing protection would be a nice Xmas gift to go along with her shiny new XDM 9mm. So...

Comfort is obviously the biggie. Low profile and "stylish" follow closely behind.

I'm not overly concerned about cost... I want to get what she'll be comfortable wearing and will work well. Electronics is a consideration too.

Radians make them in pink, if that helps - here's my step-daughter:

My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

I've found that comfort varies quite a bit between various brands (shapes and foam density vary). I'd suggest that she try on various brands/styles before purchasing her a set.

Get her earmuffs AND plugs. Save her ears!

I've got the Peltor 7s and have no complaints other than interference with my AR stocks-I still use foam earplugs when shooting rifles.
    http://www.amazon.com/Peltor-97039-T...9289250&sr=8-4

If you don't want to go electronic, just make sure to check the NRR-comfort is a subjective thing? Note the description says noise "cancelling"-I don't think so-more like noise "reduction"?
    http://www.amazon.com/Peltor-H10A-Pr...9289107&sr=8-1
    It only becomes class warfare when the working class decides to fight back.
    When they don't, it simply becomes a case of economic genocide.
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member

The only things that count on earmuffs are the NRR and enough comfort that the shooter will USE them. Low profile and style work against effectiveness. As said muffs over plugs will protect the best.
    I have a few facts and a lot of opinions.

I am a total fan of electronic muffs. Get a pair that's comfortable. Cusky side pads make the difference, plus they tend to seal better around your glasses and such.

Not only do they make your time at the range more pleasant due to the fact that you can hear other people when they talk to you, I maintain that they are safer in that they allow you to hear more of what's going on around you. I've seen people keep right on shooting, oblivious, after a ceasefire has been called, for instance. Every shooter should try a pair. There are a bunch of 'em out now, but I've always liked my old Dillons. Audio quality and dB rating will no doubt vary, so if you can, try several. These Dillons favor the higher frequencies, which makes for easier speech intelligibility, and they have a pretty good dB reduction-- better than some of my passive muffs. If you're shooting beside someone who's firing a magnum rifle, you'll want more protection, and in that case you can stick in a pair of plugs too.

Look into Ridgeline's 'Pro Ears'. They're made locally (southern Colorado) and are supposed to be high quality electronic ear protection.
    The uneducated and the misinformed are easily led astray. -- John Mellencamp

I remember when Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms was a shopping list and not a government agency.

Thanks for all the replies folks, and I apologize for the belated follow-up. I decided on the Pro-Ears Ultra Passive, NRR-26.

She seems to like them, although we haven't been out to the range since before Christmas so the real test is yet to come. If they don't work out for her, I'll take them for me and buy her something better (and relegate my current earmuffs to "visitor" duty). Electronics still remain an option for both of us in the future.

Regarding earplugs- always. I buy them in bulk, always use them myself, and make sure to offer them to all my guests. I don't however insist that adults use both earmuffs *and* plugs- but I do encourage it.

Regarding the pink radians- maybe I'll keep those as an option for her when I finally get around to building her Hello Kitty AR-15.